GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Battery seems to drain after a couple of days of non-use

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 09:27 AM
big1236
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Battery seems to drain after a couple of days of non-use

Hey guys- I looked around the forum but couldn't really find anything to help me out (unless i'm blind). Anyway, here it goes:

I have a '99 GS300 and i use it during the work week. On the weekends I use the weekend car and come monday, after a couple days of non-use, the battery on my GS seems to have drained. It has a hard time starting, the lights are dim, and sometimes the steering wheel adjustor works halfway until the car starts, and then finishes adjusting. I've had my battery for about 3 years now but i remember a time when I left my door ajar and the overhead light was on for about a good two hours. Does that mess up the battery?

What should I do? Should I get a new battery? I spoke to my dad and he said it might be the charging station in the car.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-06-12, 09:36 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Check the battery connections. Otherwise it could be the battery itself. Should last a good five years buth you might have got a bad one. Might still be under warranty.
Old 03-06-12, 09:37 AM
Kzem
Pole Position

Ive had that problem before. I thought it was the sound system draining it but honestly all i needed was a new battery. Go to autozone and have them test your battery for you, theyll let you know if its still good or if u need a new 1
Old 03-06-12, 09:38 AM
AristoKing
Instructor

It could also be you alternator check that as well.
Old 03-06-12, 09:47 AM
midship909
Rookie

Once you drain a battery once or more it has been damaged. I would just buy a new battery.
Old 03-06-12, 10:13 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Find out how much amp is it drawing first and report back. You can google this it will show u how. Type battery drain test
Old 03-06-12, 10:37 AM
77i9
Lead Lap

I had the same problem before, took the battery to autozone and it tested fine.
Come to find out it was the alternator, when it finally took a crap.
Old 03-06-12, 10:47 AM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had the same issue a while ago, start with the simple stuff first, check battery terminals and make sure they're tight (mine weren't ) have the battery tested if that fails, worst comes to worst you'd have to check for a parasitic drain in the car. good luck, hope you find the root of the issue.
Old 03-06-12, 10:51 AM
big1236
Driver School Candidate

Well when I got an oil change about a couple of months ago, the dealer said the battery was still 'okay'. It had 35% charge on it still (whatever that means).

Does that help?
Old 03-06-12, 11:16 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd check that the terminals are tight and no corrosion, then maybe run it down to a local shop or where you bought the battery from originally and have them test it again. My last car I drove just like you - during the week and then sat for the weekend. By Monday it was a tiny bit slow to start. The battery was 5.5 years old so it didn't bother me.

Then again, if you just have a costco battery, return it and buy a new one
Old 03-06-12, 11:20 AM
KingGS
Rookie

have u recently put a new radio in perhaps?
Old 03-06-12, 11:24 AM
big1236
Driver School Candidate

No I don't have a new radio. Everything is stock. and I went back to Pepboys to see if it was still under warranty- it's not. the one i bought was a 3 year warranty on the battery and that ended about a couple of months ago....

I'll try to get a new battery, and if that still doesn't fix the problem, i'll have to get the car checked....
Old 03-20-12, 03:20 AM
jcpatin76
Driver School Candidate

i have this problem and googled it,it seems there is a problem with sum gs400 s.if u go sum where and get back home .right after u pull key out of ignition .listen really good for a clicking noise coming out of the fuse box under ur hood.i followed mine to the fuse box near battery and pulled each fuse out one by one till i found the problem.once i pulled the 25 amp efi fuse ,the noise stopped.and drain stopped.i dont know wat causing it but ,i have to pull that fuse out every time i get home so battery doent drain.so try that and see if works.also look up lexus gs400 battery drain or lexus gs400 efi fuse drain online as well.hope this helps
Old 06-27-12, 12:46 AM
ZSC3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcpatin76
i have this problem and googled it,it seems there is a problem with sum gs400 s.if u go sum where and get back home .right after u pull key out of ignition .listen really good for a clicking noise coming out of the fuse box under ur hood.i followed mine to the fuse box near battery and pulled each fuse out one by one till i found the problem.once i pulled the 25 amp efi fuse ,the noise stopped.and drain stopped.i dont know wat causing it but ,i have to pull that fuse out every time i get home so battery doent drain.so try that and see if works.also look up lexus gs400 battery drain or lexus gs400 efi fuse drain online as well.hope this helps
I am having the same exact issue as stated above, does anyone have an explanation for this problem???
Old 02-10-13, 09:10 PM
squeaks638
Rookie

Originally Posted by ZSC3
I am having the same exact issue as stated above, does anyone have an explanation for this problem???
I know this is an old thread but I am now having the same issue, not sure why. Anyone have any idea?

Quick Reply: My Battery seems to drain after a couple of days of non-use