GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AUX input for under $5.00*** You guys wont be disappointed Pic intensive

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 04:46 PM
bbass83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great walkthrough, pretty easy to repeat. Worked great when I tested it out, but now my right speakers stopped working when I put the glove box back together. I'll have to tear it apart again next weekend. Guessing a something came loose...
Old 03-07-14, 10:27 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bsmith203
This mod does work however has anyone else noted that the volume of the aux input is about 1/3 of all the other sources on the stereo?
I know it's late.. but I got around to doing this today. Reason why the sound is low is the wiring is incorrect to the audio jack. Correct the wiring and the sound volume is fine. (same as radio)
Old 03-09-14, 06:56 PM
vsop4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to OP for providing the DIY and also thanks to another post for the FM solder method. I did the FM solder method, worked great but when I used a bluetooth unit, was getting a lot of hiss, yes due to grounding from cigarette lighter. Without wanting to break apart the cigarette lighter and fixing the grounding issue, I decided to use the interrupt method outlined in the FM solder post. What I didn't want to do was use the blank CD and wanted a ply and play and thought to wire it for bypass when plugged in and still have CD when unplugged from phone jack.

Parts: Same as this post, no additional needed.

In short:
1. I found the L and R + preamp out from the CD Changer (it was the Red and White in my car).
2. Cut both wires so you can insert the AUX jack (run wires as long as you need to to route the jack to where ever you want to) in between both L and R + for the interrupt.
3. Start with R+ from CD Changer, connect to Pin 4. Connect the same wire where you cut going to the stereo and amp and connect to pin 5.
4. Take L+ from CD Change, connect to pin 3. Connect same wire where you cut going to stereo to pin 2.
5. For the negative (-) lead, just connect those to the two L and R - (Note: You may be able to splice into the two leads but I accidentally cut mine and only connected to the wires going to the stereo and left the two ends from the CD Changer open (of course, cover those up). I didn't have time to try and understand why as it worked, and maybe I had the wrong wires.

Essentially, if nothing is plugged in, CD signal goes straight through as the circuit is closed in the AUX jack. Plug your favorite device to the AUX and it interrupts the CD signal and sends your signal. No CD sound and now you can have whatever CD you like and just run it as normal as both will work.

Credit goes to OPs from both these posts, I just got a bit creative.

FM Solder link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-headunit.html
Old 03-09-14, 08:24 PM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

I had a question, I did everything as described. Just curious, what did you ground 1/8 jack too? I used one of the screws that mounts the disc changer. I don't think It worked for me. Just curious.... Please help
Old 03-09-14, 10:05 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DNAARISTO
I had a question, I did everything as described. Just curious, what did you ground 1/8 jack too? I used one of the screws that mounts the disc changer. I don't think It worked for me. Just curious.... Please help
The wiring for the 1/8 jack is incorrect from the directions. That ground is the negative part of the stereo (right and left). If you ground it.. you'll get low sound.

If you want to be able to switch between the CD player and your AUX input, there's a slightly more complicated way...and inserting and removing the 3.5 plug will switch between the CD changer and AUX input.

But, for the fastest way to get it working ... do the following
Name:  wiring_zpsaf13c7af.png
Views: 1359
Size:  7.4 KB
Old 03-10-14, 05:23 PM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

I did this diagram, now I have low sound. Any help. Oh btw, I have the Nak sound system
Old 03-11-14, 03:56 PM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

I used regular auto wire 16 gauge wire. Not specifically speaker wire, could that be an issue?
Old 03-12-14, 08:58 AM
vsop4me
Driver School Candidate

Your wire should not be the problem. More than likely it is a wiring issue so double check your connections but this may be an incorrect wiring of the ground pin from jack to the negative wires. Did you splice into the negative connections or cut those. In my setup, i cut the neg leads instead of just splicing into it.
Old 03-12-14, 12:55 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vsop4me
Your wire should not be the problem. More than likely it is a wiring issue so double check your connections but this may be an incorrect wiring of the ground pin from jack to the negative wires. Did you splice into the negative connections or cut those. In my setup, i cut the neg leads instead of just splicing into it.
Ground goes to the negatives leads of the stereo. You do not ground it to the car's chassis

Hope the below illustration helps clear this up

The above illustration is just to show how the audio jack works. Pin location isnt accurate

Last edited by runyun; 03-12-14 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added illustration
Old 03-13-14, 07:24 AM
bogeyman
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2000 gs 400 that I'd like to add an aux 3.5mm jack to connect to my Android phone to be able to play music thru the factory stereo. I'm all for simplicity, is there any sound quality advantage in using the relays in Puredrifter's thread than this method?

Thanks
Old 03-13-14, 10:22 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bogeyman
I have a 2000 gs 400 that I'd like to add an aux 3.5mm jack to connect to my Android phone to be able to play music thru the factory stereo. I'm all for simplicity, is there any sound quality advantage in using the relays in Puredrifter's thread than this method?

Thanks
I dont think so. I used a 14-pin 4PDT (4 pole Double Throw, 12vdc) relay in mine... (1 relay vs the 4 he used... it does the same thing buy 1 relay is less work/complicated)
It allows you to switch between the Changer and AUX (without removing the 3.5mm plug.. I did that so I can install a bluetooth device)

$10 bucks at Fry's
Old 03-13-14, 12:40 PM
bogeyman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply.

Do you by chance have a blog that you posted how you wired this relay and how you add the BT device? I'd like to do something similar in my 2000 gs400 w navi if possible and trying to see whats possible.

Appreciate your time.
Old 03-13-14, 02:13 PM
vsop4me
Driver School Candidate

My two cents. 1- once I have access to 3.5mm jack to plug in y phone, there's really no reason for me to use the CD changer so unplugging isn't a problem 2- thus installing jack is simpler in my opinion.

Quality will be more dependent on quality of your cpressed music.
Old 03-15-14, 07:17 AM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

Originally Posted by runyun

Ground goes to the negatives leads of the stereo. You do not ground it to the car's chassis

Hope the below illustration helps clear this up

The above illustration is just to show how the audio jack works. Pin location isnt accurate
This helps, but when I grounded to the green and white wires, everything went super low, even the radio. The I plugged the aux in a heard it but it was low too.
Old 03-15-14, 07:19 AM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

Originally Posted by vsop4me
I cut the wires, then soldered in another wire.

Quick Reply: AUX input for under $5.00*** You guys wont be disappointed Pic intensive