GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

soft break pedal, vsc, abs, brake warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 09:36 PM
iam714
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any evidence of fluid leaking? sounds like air getting into the brake lines and or fluid escaping. check brake piston boots and un even pad wear?
Old 02-02-12, 09:42 PM
iam714
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by chicov8
is the lexus quality over rated?
i had 2000 ls400 before and car had few problems
that gs430 i bought few months ago with 115k from a member of cl had problem with ball joints and left side upper control arm (all cost a lot of $ to change with upper control arm very expensive even from sewell)
problem with sunroof shade (that is noisy), moisture in left headlight, slight vibration when car is in gear (probably maf needs to be cleaned) and now that problem with brakes
before i had old (1997) nissan maxima wich was totaled with almost 170,000 miles (had it for few years and only one problem when i had to change rear calipers)
before that 1995 toyota avalon which i bought with 105,000 miles and after few years get bored with that car and sold with 180,000 with no single problem (just had to change battery)
i need a good reason not to sell lexus and not to go back to nissan or toyota
lexus with 119,000 miles shouldnt have so many problem or maybe im wrong
buying a used car is a crap shoot. not all people maintain their vehicles. neglect and abuse go a long way on any vehicle. maintaining and remembering your car is not brand new can extend the vehicles usable life dramatically
Old 02-02-12, 11:00 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
out of curiosity, how do you bleed the brakes? specifically, how do you bleed the booster itself or did you find a way to open up the ABS ports on the booster by some other way?
i believe you and I had the same question in a specific thread. According to ALLDATA, to bleed brakes, you would need to use the Toyota scanner plus other equipments to bleed the brakes. Since we dont have the scanner with bleed it manually. I'm not sure if you can bleed the BMC or not, but I would just bleed RR, RL, RF, RL and do that 3-5 times.
Old 02-02-12, 11:16 PM
shurian
Pit Crew

Op i have a master cilynder for sale from GS4,pm me
By the way i had 98 GS4 without single problem for past 6 years,and now i have 99 GS4 never had problem with it either,so it is a Lexus Quality!!
Old 02-02-12, 11:19 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shurian
Op i have a master cilynder for sale from GS4,pm me
By the way i had 98 GS4 without single problem for past 6 years,and now i have 99 GS4 never had problem with it either,so it is a Lexus Quality!!
No offense but his car is an 02. It has a sensor on the BMC and yours doesn't.
Old 02-03-12, 07:26 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never had and probably never will have german car, but i had few older and high milage maximas, avalon and solara and never anything major fail (mostly nothing at all except brake pads or tires but its a maintinance)
i dont think that i have leak because brake fluid reservoir i full
im sure we will bleed manualy because my mechanic is not toyota or lexus guy so only scaner he got is universal
shurian from what year gs is your master cylinder?
Old 02-03-12, 07:50 AM
ANTW1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
i believe you and I had the same question in a specific thread. According to ALLDATA, to bleed brakes, you would need to use the Toyota scanner plus other equipments to bleed the brakes. Since we dont have the scanner with bleed it manually. I'm not sure if you can bleed the BMC or not, but I would just bleed RR, RL, RF, RL and do that 3-5 times.
Yo Fiend, I'm going through this right now. I changed the ABS unit or BMC, whatever its called already. I bled the brakes one time and shockingly didnt see any air bubbles. But I know I need to bleed it some more. When you bled your brakes, did you need to pump the brake pedal, or did you just press it down once?
Old 02-03-12, 08:14 AM
ANTW1
Driver School Candidate

Chicov8, The Master Cylinder, Brake Booster and ABS Actuator is one unit. From what I've read, If one thing goes bad, you gotta replace it all. I found one at car-part.com for my 98 GS4. This place LKQ had one for $450 (and $20 shipping) w/ a 6 month guarantee. The only place that offered a warranty for more than 30 days. I think for your model year they are less expensive. I replaced it myself, it was pretty simple, and I'm not a mechanic. I have pics if you need them. Do a search for ABS Actuator, you'll find a bunch of info on it.
Old 02-03-12, 08:46 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info
i just found interesting post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ster-cyl.html#
looks that if brake booster aka akumulator seal fails i could loose nitrogen its easy fix to this buy charging it at bike shop and probably new seal ($2,50 at sewell) or new brake booster for $250 with sewell discount

**** adkt also said if there is pitching or squeling noise thats mean something is wrong with the system and that what i had about a week ago when it was very cold i had anoying pitch i couldnt pinpoint
first i thought its from radio or fan but i turned all off and pitch didnt desapear and it was only when i was driving about 30mph fater or slower no pitch and after few miles when car worms up no pitch
the colder the longer pitch and i newer thought thats was from bmc
Old 02-03-12, 04:56 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

looks that this fix was for first generation gs
Old 02-03-12, 06:31 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

its most likely your abs system malfuction
Old 02-03-12, 06:38 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

but there is no abs warning light and when i pump brake too many times i got all warning lights (brake, abs, vsc, vsc off) but only for 2-3 second
Old 02-03-12, 06:41 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

i need to find out how to check or who could check what failed because master brake cylinder new is over $2000 and very hard to find used for 01-05 gs and brake booster is $251 from sewell plus few $ for spring and o-ring
Old 02-03-12, 09:14 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ANTW1
Yo Fiend, I'm going through this right now. I changed the ABS unit or BMC, whatever its called already. I bled the brakes one time and shockingly didnt see any air bubbles. But I know I need to bleed it some more. When you bled your brakes, did you need to pump the brake pedal, or did you just press it down once?
1) RR & RL - To bleed the rears, key on, a person holding down on the brakes, another person crack the bleeder screw and refill the master cylinder.

2)FR & FL - Pump and hold procedure.
Old 02-04-12, 09:50 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Im on my way to mechanic that has some knowlege on lexus on what most important got toyota scaner'

Quick Reply: soft break pedal, vsc, abs, brake warning lights