GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

OEM Floor mat color??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 02:50 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Floor mat color??

Im trying to order some OEM floor mats for a 98 GS. The exterior color is Burnished Gold Metallic with a tan and taupe interior.

The choices of colors are black (which I know its NOT) Ivory or grey. I thought it was Ivory but it could be grey. This GS does not have mats in it right now so its hard for me to LOOK hands on and figure it out.

Im getting them off of ebay new and they are OEM . I just cant tell by the pics which of the 2.... Ivory or grey .

Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-12, 12:02 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is my 2cents. Regardless of what the original color was for the mats your interior has 2 colors. Match the darker color. It will look good and the darker color will not show dirt as easily. So don't get the ivory your mats will always look dirty get the taupe ( not sure what taupe is but my guess is that it is darker than ivory)
Old 01-31-12, 12:25 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's strange I looked in sewell and they also only have those three colors yet my car is a 98 with the ivory and taupe ( I call it brown) and my mats are brown (taupe) considerably darker than the carpet. Mine is a 98 gs400
Old 01-31-12, 05:52 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd go with black... I'm planning on going with black mats to change the color of the interior and two tone... Interior is Tan..

Last edited by tmf2004; 01-31-12 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-31-12, 06:15 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the interior is 2 tone like tmf said. the rugs are supposed to match the darker of the 2 tone colors.
Old 08-25-12, 02:20 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have the tan interior, and got the Ivory mats since when I bought my 98 GS it didn't have any.....Well I must say it looks pretty bad in contrast to the much lighter tan around it. I checked with the local Lex dealer since I had ordered these off Sewell, and they confirmed that it definitely is the OEM mat that would have been in the car when brand new. Damn these are ugly though, and they don't really match the secondary color of the interior either that are like in-between.

So my reccomendation to those with the Tan interior is to probably go with black, since gray definitely won't match. Anyone else with ideas feel free to chime in.
The following users liked this post:
Brion (10-15-17)
Old 08-26-12, 09:23 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

i would stick with black mats my friend. my gs430 is grey in the interior and i couldve got grey mats to match but instead i bought black ones to match the tints lol. idk darker is always good because it helps keep the dirt out of sight. but every one is diff. choose whatever fits you best. good luck my friend!

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 08-26-12, 11:12 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

It seems oem mats from different dye batches my be slightly different shades as well. I had oem black mats and ordered a new set of oem black mats from swell, and the new ones are not nearly as deep black as the old ones. Kind of disappointing, but not as obvious in the car as it is when the two mats are side by side.
Old 08-27-12, 12:50 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Since I originally started this thread way back when, I have since ordered the mats from Sewell. I got the color that was NOT Ivory or black, I think they listed it as grey. Either way I got them and they are pretty much Identical to the ones I replaced.

I know people here said "get black" but the tan/taupe (or brown whatever that darker color is called) interiors have absolutely nothing colored black in them. If you got an 01+ then your instrument cluster is black but thats about the only thing major that's that color. So black would look waaaaay to much like it doesn't belong. Especially with white LEXUS lettering...oh no.

Im happy with the color I got since it looks stock!
Old 08-27-12, 04:10 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zoilus
Since I originally started this thread way back when, I have since ordered the mats from Sewell. I got the color that was NOT Ivory or black, I think they listed it as grey. Either way I got them and they are pretty much Identical to the ones I replaced.

I know people here said "get black" but the tan/taupe (or brown whatever that darker color is called) interiors have absolutely nothing colored black in them. If you got an 01+ then your instrument cluster is black but thats about the only thing major that's that color. So black would look waaaaay to much like it doesn't belong. Especially with white LEXUS lettering...oh no.

Im happy with the color I got since it looks stock!
Couple pictures if you could man?
Old 09-09-12, 10:06 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hobojoe
I am actually away from home now and will be back this Wed. I have the older mats on there now, so that way they can mess up and I don't have to worry about it. I only put the new ones on if I am going to a meet or something.

Wed or thurs I will post the pics, with my somewhat updated interior
Old 10-13-12, 02:25 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hobojoe

Ok I know this is waaaaay late but finally got around to taking some of a cleaned up interior , the mats are still brand new...I actually just laid them on top of the old ones. After the pics , I stored them again!

Old 10-15-17, 10:20 PM
Brion
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem however I ordered the blue/grey.
Old 11-02-20, 03:01 PM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Old one here no doubt but wth better to post later than never...lol This got long too, sorry. Its real old anyway...
Many cars that have black/grey trim on the dash looks fine with either black/grey mats to match that trim..imo
I install black mats in every car I own if I think they'll blend good enough because as mentioned its the oil/grease from car lots that stain the lighter mats/carpets. I think in most peoples eyes the stained mats look worse than black/grey mats look on any car a with light interior color.
If I change a cars carpet out I install black regardless what color it had. I restored a lot of old cars including 60/70's muscle cars and most people just put black in when restoring them unless its a 100% matching numbers show car (aka-trailer queen) its going to be black due to the stains we get at the car shows alone that are always held on big car lots. If we do a driver in its original Grey or Tan etc.. after the first couple car shows it stained black again already you know? Back before so much nylon was used in carpets we always dyed the old original cotton carpets black to hide all their stains if its not torn, but nylon being a plastic it wont take dye so those days are long gone.
Man' I can't count how many times I took a 5 gallon bucket of water, dumped a few boxes of Rit dye into it (under a buck each box then) and just sponged the seats, lower door panels (if carpeted) & then mop the carpet black on those old cars..lol Done several in two tone and even won a couple shows. One T/A I did the seats dark/light blue in two tone with the old sponge/dye trick I won several shows with, people thought the seats looked so different, always got complements at burger joint drive through's on those seats..lol They were just awful when I got it too, anyone would have recovered them right or just trashed them. No rips but just stained to heck.

So' this comes to mind.
Anyone looking for a fantastic cleaner buy a bottle of Folex at home stores. If you buy the big gallon get a spray bottle too. Some Wallys carry it but not many, Lowes always has it.
After yrs of using it I find it better to use it (see below), you may learn much better ways? Small stains one can just spray it on a stain, let set a minute then wipe up easily like any other cleaner. But big stains that are generally deep stains its harder to get them out no matter how its done.
Big, deep stains I do this way? Like any you always keep a clean rag or clean area on one by folding it each wipe or the stain just transfers back from the rag to the carpet/seat again so you never will clean it. Why I bought a big box of rags...lol
1) Spray it on the stain till its lightly damp, let it set about a minute, now Wipe it From Left To Right Direction "Only" (do it several times) but' "Only" Left to Right.... Toss the rag-
2) Spray it again, let set a minute, now Wipe from Right To Left "Only", toss the rag-
3) Spray again, let sit and wipe from Bottom to Top Direction "Only", toss the rag-
4) Spray again let it sit, then wipe from Top to Bottom Direction "Only" toss the rag- ...You get it?...lol
Do not use the same rag and do not ever wipe round and round as you'll only rub the stain in deeper and deeper.

I learned to do it this way after I spent a fortune on cleaners trying to get the Red Kool-Aid out of a light blue rear seat on a car I bought my wife yrs ago. Got car cheap because the lady let her two kids bathe in the back seat in red Kool-Aid daily it appeared,omg it was a mess. I spent some serious money on cleaners for almost a yr & nothing ever worked. I spent $30-$40 each on a couple gallons so called "great upholstery cleaners". Finally after months I picked up Folex on the very bottom shelf at a Walmart by just grabbing something occasionally since I gave up trying honestly, its in a plain Jane bottle like the 50's? I sprayed it on, let it set a minute, wiped with a paper towel and the towel instantly turned red. I knew I found the right stuff because nothing done that but I could see paper wasn't going to cut it here. Went to the home store got two boxes of rags and I went to town cleaning. Within an hour there was no sign of red Cool Aid in her car. Would have been done sooner had I learned the above technique a bit sooner, yes I use rags but it sure works faster and comes out cleaner just trust me.

About a yr later my cousin dropped in just to show me his Infiniti Q45. Tan inside/out and I saw the entire drivers side of his carpeted center hump was all black so I went inside and got my Folex. As I sprayed it on, he said" That wont come out so don't waste your cleaner on it".. Just as he said it he saw me take one wipe and almost half of it was gone. he said' "Wth is that stuff, I've spent a fortune trying to clean that off". A few more wipes it looked brand new again. What made me mad about Folex is it was only $5. All that da#n money I spent before I found it...OMG!
We had a couple older dogs then too, its a mans best friend for mans best friend believe me.
Long here sorry, it works and its cheaper than most! Oh' btw, it is from the 50's...
Folex

https://www.lowes.com/pd/FOLEX-32-oz...lution/1083045