GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Option Racing Tailights

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 10:05 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Option Racing Tailights

Hey all, just thought I would share my experience with the Option Racing tail lights for the 2GS and my experience with the company.

I purchased them in the fall of 2010, TommyGS3 got me a good deal on them since he knew someone that worked there.

I installed them, and was very happy with the look.

1 week later I went to the car wash and noticed that they were starting to get little droplets of water inside. There is no justification for my brand new tail lights leaking....

I contacted Option Racing and they informed me that they would gladly replace them. They just didn't have stock on those specific ones so I would have to wait for them to come in. After a month went by and I had no update, I called back and got put through to a manager named Rocky. Rocky assured me that he would handle my concern from there forward and my tail lights would be on the way soon. I followed up with Rocky every couple of months for the last year and kept getting the same answer.

I decided to use a different approach. I went onto their website and found the part number for the tail lights (which they had told me there wasn't stock on). Website showed that they were in fact in stock....so I got my friend to give them a call and ask specifically for that part number. The representative he spoke to informed him that there was stock of them, and they were ready to ship right away if he wanted to order them.

I called Rocky to ask about this, I didn't tell him I had a friend call and talk to a rep, but I did inform him that it showed stock on the website. Rocky replied that the website was never updated, and they still didn't have the tail lights.

I'm sick of getting the run around. I know I'm not getting my money back, and I know that they're not going to make the situation right. It's just boils down to the fact that they're a terrible company with terrible management, and you should not give them your hard earned money.

Pictures of the said tail lights:

DO NOT give this company your hard earned money. If you're looking for nice tails, get a set of 01+ tails or Sonars!

Thumbs down for Option Racing

Last edited by Bippu147; 01-26-12 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-26-12, 10:20 AM
WLGS01
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can relate. I ordered a pair of these thinking they were the nicest looking ones for an affordable price. The website showed that there was about 5 units in stock. I figure I'll get them quickly since they are in California also. A week later I called about my shipment and they hung up on me after I went through numerous holds. Try the next day and they hung up again. Third time a girl picked and I was informed that it was never shipped and I'll have to wait until they were in stock. I mentioned the website and she said they didn't update it. -_-

Well at least I got my refund. But it was terrible customer service. Dealing with the company is clearly risking your money.
Old 01-26-12, 10:22 AM
vanquish2
Rookie

I got a set from spyder auto (met them at SEMA).....they haven't seen the wet yet.....man I hope they are better then what you got! Only 250ish though so.......

Nice hybrid stickers! lol
Old 01-26-12, 10:23 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

^Sorry to hear. I bought them for the same reasons.

My goal is to prevent this from happening to other members. I work very hard to modify my car, and times are tough for a lot of people these days.
Old 01-26-12, 11:03 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the heads up man. To be honest after a lot of talk with my boy Answer300 I came down to the fact that i'm just going to upgrade my cleared 98-00 tails for some 01+.

My first reason is that the LED tails are so played out.. Everyone has them nowadays and to be honest there's a lot more complaints about them too. They're just not worth the money to have the same look as everyone else then possibly have problems also.

Secondly I personally think that a well taken care of and *crisp* pair of 01 tails look far better. Might be my own opinion but that's just what I think.

Thanks for throwing this up though to help inform others.
Old 01-26-12, 11:10 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. I am very happy with my 01+. No leaks, no BS, just plug and play.

I'll never buy another set of aftermarket tails.
Old 01-26-12, 11:10 AM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ordered the same brand tail lights but not from their site directly, nevertheless, i wasn't satisfied with their product either, I've spotted several LED's that have went out and a bit of moisture getting into the the lower lens as well in less than a year!! i'd definitely advise members to steer clear of the option racing brand.. now i'm contemplating just going back to stock... no problems!

Last edited by kowala; 01-26-12 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-26-12, 01:19 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been seriously researching tails for my car. Searched countless threads, ebay, google, amazon, the whole nine. I was really considering these tails until today. Thanks OP, you have confirmed my decision to go with the OEM 01+ tails.
Old 01-26-12, 01:22 PM
bashigs300
Pole Position

you guys can try DEPO tail lights. people say they have much better quality and they also look great. i have their headlight and they are just like oem with no defect. i bought the LED tail lights too and they look very high quality but i have not washed the car yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-GS300-...ht_1925wt_1037
Old 01-26-12, 02:25 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Is the brand DEPO the same as DEPO Performance?
Because that's what it says on that ebay listing.
Some vendors uses same sounding names to confuse or mislead people.

Originally Posted by bashigs300
you guys can try DEPO tail lights. people say they have much better quality and they also look great. i have their headlight and they are just like oem with no defect. i bought the LED tail lights too and they look very high quality but i have not washed the car yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-GS300-...ht_1925wt_1037
Old 01-26-12, 03:52 PM
bashigs300
Pole Position

no the product itself is DEPO. it says it on the box and tail light. i just looked more on those tail lights. they don't have any seal around and the back at all. the ones i bought has seal on the back and around to keep the water away.
Old 01-26-12, 04:08 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

I've had my DEPO LED tail lights on since mid-December. We've had heavy rain, snow, and I've washed the car once with a pressurized hose. No problems with moisture. I'm happy with them.
Old 01-26-12, 05:45 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered the Option Racing Tails (SONAR) and installed them. Washed my car with a light spray, the passenger tail got so much water inside it, the clear chrome went to a dark chrome grey. It was horrible. Called them, emailed pics, they would send out another set (but informed me I should seal them with clear silicone) or I could get a refund. I opted for the refund.

I have been eying the DEPO tails but have heard from MANY people on how hot the resistors get and don't want to deal with that. I am rocking OEM 01+ tails and sometimes OEM is just so much less headache lol.
Old 01-26-12, 06:22 PM
chknlittle
Pole Position

After reading this I'm looking into 01 tails instead of the aftermarket ones
Old 01-26-12, 06:32 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

When in doubt defintley seal those puppies first

Although for the price you shouldnt have to

Quick Reply: Option Racing Tailights