GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Calling all HID kit/Retro Installers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 05:14 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
As for TRS, they offer great service tons of knowledge and they do have pretty good products that they stand behind 100%.

TRS on Hidplanet is nothing knew, as Matt from TRS and another guy there are some of the original major contributors to the information, comparisons, research, and techniques that has helped to grow the forum, retro industry, and available products to what it is today. TRS has went through alot of time and money to get have some key products made and bring them market for making retrofits easier, with better quality and readily accessible. Like the FX-R, Mini-H1, Mini-D2s projectors and TSX-R Lenses, etc..

Not saying you shouldn't buy from other sources at all, but don't be so quick to bash them as they have done alot for the retrofit community as a whole. Go back and a read some of their old hidplanet threads from the early 2000's, there is alot of knowledge and dedication there.

Like ****-adkt mentions I say mount them under the headlight as well, less crap in the engine bay and there is plenty of space to put them, I have 2 ballasts mounted to the bottom of each light on mine. I've had no issues with the stock headlight harness powering the ballasts directly without the use of relays.
Thanks. You are right, I'm basing my opinion on a few threads that I read recently with bad quality of the morimotos projectors and now since TRS owns HIDplanet, they delete any post that speaks badly about their items. That rubbed me the wrong way but you are correct, I need to start logging back in over there to base my own opinion. I will say that their HID's are waaaayy overpriced though lol. I know back then, they used to use old/used OEM products but now I've read that they are just sourcing everything from China. That's why I say that they are overpriced.

Thanks for you and ****'s responses. What I was afraid of was the start up amps needed to fire up the ballast vs amps needed to fire up halogen bulbs. That's why I was thinking I would need a relay kit for wire protection. But if both of you all done this with no issues, then I'm going this route. I can probably find some cheap OEM ballast on eBay. Did you change your stock plug to 9006 female to plug into the male ballast or did you just splice like what **** stated?
Old 01-13-12, 09:59 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Thanks. You are right, I'm basing my opinion on a few threads that I read recently with bad quality of the morimotos projectors and now since TRS owns HIDplanet, they delete any post that speaks badly about their items. That rubbed me the wrong way but you are correct, I need to start logging back in over there to base my own opinion. I will say that their HID's are waaaayy overpriced though lol. I know back then, they used to use old/used OEM products but now I've read that they are just sourcing everything from China. That's why I say that they are overpriced.

Thanks for you and ****'s responses. What I was afraid of was the start up amps needed to fire up the ballast vs amps needed to fire up halogen bulbs. That's why I was thinking I would need a relay kit for wire protection. But if both of you all done this with no issues, then I'm going this route. I can probably find some cheap OEM ballast on eBay. Did you change your stock plug to 9006 female to plug into the male ballast or did you just splice like what **** stated?
They still offer OEM ballasts from. they run more expensive and are obviously better than any of the HID kit ballast you buy from elsewhere/anywhere.