GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Some new pics of the Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 12:11 PM
Teasy010
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a really nice ride u got there.
Old 01-06-12, 05:50 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to Titan today, picked up the torque converter, vvti 264 cams, and built tranny. I got the wrong transmission so hopefully the right one will arrive next week so we can run this thing in the cold weather. The new Precision 6766 turbo also arrives on Monday.
Old 01-07-12, 10:15 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Cool to see you kept the car; I talked to you briefly about buying ages ago.

Anyway, curious as to your plans for transmission control if you're going haltech on the engine side. Mind sharing?
Old 01-08-12, 08:14 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

We plan to let the Aristo ECU control the shifting. When I got to DD Tuning I learned that Titan had given me the wrong tranny, it was a Supra tranny that I received, the rear flange is 3 bolt instead of 4 and it's not the right connector, I should know Monday where my tranny is.
Old 01-09-12, 05:50 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

So Titan will do an Aristo specific build, that's good info.

You'll get the stock ECU to piggyback with the Haltech to run the transmission; interesting. Wonder how much input the stock ECU requires to run the transmission not in some form limp mode (load, RPM (or crank and cam triggers specifically), TPS, etc).
Old 01-09-12, 08:37 AM
G0TB00ST
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam... I have a few questions for you... Would you mind if i sent you a pm?
Old 01-09-12, 08:54 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

we'll see for sure when the tranny comes back from Titan,Sean said as long as it's th 4 speed tranny he can do it, hopefully the internals are the same as the Supra transmissions. If this doesn't work out I will switch to AEM and install a Supra Auto. This is all stuff that hasn't been done before, if anyone can make it work it's Darin.

Adam

sure you can PM me.
Old 01-11-12, 03:23 PM
supra1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam,

Any chance you have any videos of the car with the stock twins on it? I am planning on doing the same exact setup as you have now. VVTI swap, TTC on stock twins, full exhaust, intake, and 17-18psi. I am just curious as to how it sounds while cruising around or at WOT. Any chance you could make a quick video if the car is not all apart yet. I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-12-12, 06:24 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

It's already apart, I think I have a short clip on my phone. I'll take a look later.
Old 01-12-12, 08:00 AM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Nice to see you're still working on the car after all you've been through. I thought you would've sold it after you removed the v160 and the big turbo. Is this still the same motor in the car that blew up while you were still breaking it in or a totally different motor?
Old 01-12-12, 08:44 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

totally different drive train, all out of a vvti Aristo. My last motor was a GTS Supra motor non VVTI
Old 01-12-12, 06:13 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adamgamz
totally different drive train, all out of a vvti Aristo. My last motor was a GTS Supra motor non VVTI
Oh okay. Looking forward to your impressions on the 6766. I may be leaning in that direction later this year.
Old 01-29-12, 01:45 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Looks good Adamz Welcome to vvti gte land the best place to be lmao.
Old 01-29-12, 05:36 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

This is what I found out on my journey to building a reliable stock 4 speed auto trans.. The Aristo unit is very similar to the Supra auto but it has 2 extra solenoids, and the valve body is a little different. I was going to build it with Titans builder but he said I would want to install a AEM or other stand alone that can control the line pressures and shifting of the transmission. By doing so I would lose my push button shifting and the trans would be experimental, I might have to pull it a few times for them to get it perfect. I was told by running a built Aristo trans on a stock ECU I would probably burn up the transmission. With that said there was no benefit to building the Aristo 4 speed so I decided to go with the proven 1000 RWHP Titan Supra tranny, the shift linkage and drive shaft bolted right up as I got one with the 3 bolt flange. I should have my car up and running this week with the new set up! Looking forward to blasting into the 10's.

Last edited by adamgamz; 01-29-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-29-12, 06:59 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by japspec
Looks good Adamz Welcome to vvti gte land the best place to be lmao.
No doubt. Everyone that has driven/riden in my car is surprised how tame it is off boost and how easy it starts and smoothly it holds an idle. Until you romp it you wouldn't really realize what's under the hood. These are guys running non-vvti gte in various cars, great running engines but they all seem to start and idle like the modified engines they are.

Originally Posted by adamgamz
This is what I found out on my journey to building a reliable stock 4 speed auto trans.. The Aristo unit is very similar to the Supra auto but it has 2 extra solenoids, and the valve body is a little different. I was going to build it with Titans builder but he said I would want to install a AEM or other stand alone that can control the line pressures and shifting of the transmission. By doing so I would lose my push button shifting and the trans would be experimental, I might have to pull it a few times for them to get it perfect. I was told by running a built Aristo trans on a stock ECU I would probably burn up the transmission. With that said there was no benefit to building the Aristo 4 speed so I decided to go with the proven 1000 RWHP Titan Supra tranny, the shift linkage and drive shaft bolted right up as I got one with the 3 bolt flange. I should have my car up and running this week with the new set up! Looking forward to blasting into the 10's.
Glad to see you moving along with it. It's still hard to see you go from v160 back to auto, it 'almost' kinda seems like a waste. But since it sounds like 1/4 miles times are your game, then the auto does make more sense..

So your saying since you would have to go EMS to run the vvti trans properly anyway your doing the supra trans instead, and so do you mean you will be going EMS or similar then?

Man your car has been there and back.. I though you went back to stock twins auto to have fun car and ditch the modified tuning/running hassles? But now your singling this motor too? I so confused??

Haha, Let us know how it turns out. GL!

Quick Reply: Some new pics of the Lexus