GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

300K miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 10:11 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Not starting a war but thats a myth. If your curious you can find out.

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Yea, switching to synthetic is a once mineral has been used you have to stick to it. On the molecular level, synthetics are all the same size (thus the reason why it protects better by making more contact to internal parts) minerals on the molecular levels are all different sizes. Once they get into gaskets, they create cavities that are larger than synthetics and then begin to seep through.
Old 12-14-11, 10:11 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Yea, switching to synthetic is a once mineral has been used you have to stick to it. On the molecular level, synthetics are all the same size (thus the reason why it protects better by making more contact to internal parts) minerals on the molecular levels are all different sizes. Once they get into gaskets, they create cavities that are larger than synthetics and then begin to seep through.
This statement is half truth, but worded poorly. You can switch between dino and syn oil any time you want during the life of the car and dino oil touches the exact internal parts as syn oil in a motor. In the OP case, it IS a waste of money to switch to syn oil at 300k, especially given the fact that dino oil got him to 300k. Syn oil doesn't break down quickly like dino, thus being able to clean the engine and remove deposits left behind by dino oil and go 8-10k on oil change intervals. That's why a lot of people complain that "syn oil caused my VC gaskets to leak". It didn't cause it to leak, they already had a weak/worn VC gasket, but the crud left behind from dino oil was able to "seal" the problem areas, not causing it to leak. Once changed to syn oil, the high quality Group III or higher oil is able to clean the deposits in the engine, thus removing the deposit/sludge "seal" that stopped the oil from leaking, now all of a sudden you have a leak.

This is exactly what happened with the OP. If the car was already smoking before hand, he would've never made this thread IMO. This happened after the syn oil was used. I say switch back to a dino oil and change out every 5k. Syn oil is a waste of money, especially at your mileage.
Old 12-14-11, 10:12 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Not starting a war but thats a myth. If your curious you can find out.
Very true. I just posted my thoughts on his post.
Old 12-14-11, 10:40 AM
Busha
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
This statement is half truth, but worded poorly. You can switch between dino and syn oil any time you want during the life of the car and dino oil touches the exact internal parts as syn oil in a motor. In the OP case, it IS a waste of money to switch to syn oil at 300k, especially given the fact that dino oil got him to 300k. Syn oil doesn't break down quickly like dino, thus bei ng able to clean the engine and remove deposits left behind by dino oil and go 8-10k on oil change intervals. That's why a lot of people complain that "syn oil caused my VC gaskets to leak". It didn't cause it to leak, they already had a weak/worn VC gasket, but the crud left behind from dino oil was able to "seal" the problem areas, not causing it to leak. Once changed to syn oil, the high quality Group III or higher oil is able to clean the deposits in the engine, thus removing the deposit/sludge "seal" that stopped the oil from leaking, now all of a sudden you have a leak.

This is exactly what happened with the OP. If the car was already smoking before hand, he would've never made this thread IMO. This happened after the syn oil was used. I say switch back to a dino oil and change out every 5k. Syn oil is a waste of money, especially at your mileage.
thank you for agreeing with me!
Old 12-14-11, 11:24 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Also not going to touch this oil war with a 10foot pole.
The only 2cents I'd throw in is mobil1 shouldn't be used as the champion of all synthetic oils.
It burns even on a well maintained car.
Try a different synthetic brand other than mobil1 before kludging all synthetic oils in with mobil1.
Old 12-14-11, 12:05 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I concur.. From my experience Mobil 1 Full syn burns oil on my GS. I switched to Castrol Fully Syn and no oil consumption even after 3000 miles.

Originally Posted by raytseng
Also not going to touch this oil war with a 10foot pole.
The only 2cents I'd throw in is mobil1 shouldn't be used as the champion of all synthetic oils.
It burns even on a well maintained car.
Try a different synthetic brand other than mobil1 before kludging all synthetic oils in with mobil1.
Old 12-14-11, 02:29 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, so with all this said looks like I shall be switching back to conventional oil since I currently have roughly 165,000 on the clock. I just thought since it was high mileage Mobil1 that it was formulated to prevent things like you all talked about, but If the damage was already done from the other oil then I could see how on a molecular level how it wouldn't matter and I could very well be completely wrong right?
This is why I chose to use this version of Mobil1 oil for my GS, not to mention the fact that I've always used the brand in all my cars and trucks new and old, so please don't bash me I'm just giving my 2penny's worth:

Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-30
Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-30 provides additional protection to help extend engine life in vehicles with over 75,000 miles by helping reduce oil consumption and prevent sludge build-up and engine wear. Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-30 contains seal conditioner to help protect higher mileage engines and prevent leaks. Consider Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 for even greater protection and performance.

Last edited by socal72; 12-14-11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 03:32 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
Just Drive it...wait till it goes then just drop in a engine...

I had a 289k crown vic that would smoke like a cheech and chong. All I did was switch to high mileage Valvoline and lucus full syn oil treatment ( swap with one of the qts of oil) and it worked quite well

I am soo glad to see you are at 300k any major repairs???
No major repairs just timing water pump done at 80k nothing major since then ....starter alternator ac compressor brakes that's it
Old 12-14-11, 03:35 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Originally Posted by SELFMade
Congrats! 300K is a hell of a milestone!
Thanks I'm sold on Lexus
Old 12-14-11, 03:36 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Speaking of oil is bad to run Lucas additives I run Lucas in my Semi rig at oil changes don't seemed to hurt
Old 12-14-11, 03:40 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Originally Posted by clos430
Wow 300k! I'm with this guy! Post up some pics. of your car
'll post some tomorrow
Old 12-14-11, 03:47 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Default Pic of the 300kMonster

2000 gs 400
Attached Thumbnails 300K miles-gs-pressure.jpg  
Old 12-14-11, 04:28 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by socal72
OK, so with all this said looks like I shall be switching back to conventional oil since I currently have roughly 165,000 on the clock. I just thought since it was high mileage Mobil1 that it was formulated to prevent things like you all talked about, but If the damage was already done from the other oil then I could see how on a molecular level how it wouldn't matter and I could very well be completely wrong right?
This is an oil choice thread so everyone has an opinion.

If i were in your shoes, I would instead try a different synthetic oil other than mobil1 as my next oil change over a conventional oil. Also monitor exactly how fast is the oil consumption.

I believe the benefits of synthetic outweigh the extra cost. Especially considering the reduced cost differential between "conventional" and "synthetic" as well as compared to the total cost of ownership of your car (e.g. fuel prices).
Old 12-14-11, 05:40 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 400 Degrez
2000 gs 400
WOW!! All I have to say is she's beautiful man.
Old 12-18-11, 09:39 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Originally Posted by socal72
This is why I chose to use this version of Mobil1 oil for my GS, not to mention the fact that I've always used the brand in all my cars and trucks new and old, so please don't bash me I'm just giving my 2penny's worth:

Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-30
Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-30 provides additional protection to help extend engine life in vehicles with over 75,000 miles by helping reduce oil consumption and prevent sludge build-up and engine wear. Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-30 contains seal conditioner to help protect higher mileage engines and prevent leaks. Consider Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 for even greater protection and performance.

wow Ive been using 10 30 for the longest..smh

Quick Reply: 300K miles