GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

02 GS300 Problem replacing front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 04:00 AM
gs300pj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't change both calipers? I am of the old school method of left And right when it comes to brake. You should change the other one as well. I just put ss brake lines, cross drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads, and of course a brake fluid flush. (By hand with a vacuum pump.) I now need drum shoes, FR ABS sensor, and it seems like the whole master cylinder..... GsLife.
Old 09-08-14, 07:17 AM
czr73
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tyl604
First post - On my 2002 GS300 I need front brake pads. On the passenger side everything was fine until I tried to compress the two pistons with a C clamp using the two old brake pads as buffer; done this many times on the Mercedes. Although I was trying both at once, the back piston just would not budge. So I compressed the front one and, doggone it, the back one popped mostly out and showed about 1.5 inches of rubber. Got it back in but now there is a leak. And I was never successful in getting both to push in together.

Are you supposed to open the bleed screw to do this? Of several videos and stickies, only one mentioned the bleed valve. This would certainly have released the pressure on the sticky piston.

Finally I clamped the back piston and pushed the front piston in enough with a screwdriver to clear the brake pads. Then I slid the caliper up to the back piston, pushed it in with the screwdriver and slid it over the brake pads. I put it back together, the pulled the caliper back again just to check. Sure enough it is leaking.

Mechanic wants $75 for a new caliper (says they cannot be rebuilt) and $150 labor.

What did I do wrong? Used a C clamp to push both pistons at the same time. What could have caused the back piston to be such a problem; could it have been malfunctioning all along? Inspecting my pads on that side, I find a pretty good but thin one but the second pad is down to the bone and shows some evidence of metal to metal. Do not see how one sticking piston could have caused this uneven wear but is this possible?

Should I buy a rebuild kit for $5 which I see online at a parts house?

Appreciate your thoughts.

This is why you do ONE side at a time. Happened to me once.
You should always take cap off the master cylinder when pushing piston back in to relieve the pressure.
Your caliper is now compromised. It may last you a little while longer but its now a safety hazard.
Go buy a re-manned caliper. New flash - the OEM calipers are made by Dayco which is an aftermarket part themselves. Same **** !!
You might have contaminated the brake fluid too when you forced the piston back into the caliper. I recommend that you also FLUSH the brake fluid from the system. 2GS uses Dot3 brake fluid.
Buy a big bottle and flush the system out real good !! Or else the brake lines get corroded inside eventually.
Good luck and take things one step at a time. You never want to mess around with your braking system or it will be your peril.

Czr =)