GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Never Ending front end work!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-11, 02:32 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Never Ending front end work!

is there any one like me out there?

ever get that time where you take your car to the mechanic to solve an issue in the front end?

you think you will be extremely satisfied and you are also excited to see the results when you get your GS back but the problem is still there?

I know I can't be the only one. stock suspension or dropped on air, we go through it with this car.

I've changed the struts... the outer tie rods, upper control arms, caster arms. and the mechanic told me everything looked sturdy otherwise.

I still hear popping and cracking sounds when i come to a full stop or turn my steering wheel when parallel parking.

my brother has an ls430 and I hate driving my car afterwards. I know granted this is a GS it is not in the same league. but I still feel that the ls feels so much tighter when. hitting potholes or bumps on the road. my suspension feels very loose when hitting bumps. and driving in New York city only highlights this problem more. its to the point that I feel less annoyed driving my 97 Camry.... when i drive with my radio off or very low, there is so much that I hear that sounds wrong with the car.
I love my GS and i don't want to get rid of it

anyone else that goes through never ending front end problems?

or does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by KingNasGS4; 11-18-11 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-18-11, 04:00 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

sorry to hear about your issue. I've gone through similar results with different cars. Trying to fix a problem and its still there when you get the car back..

Have you tried inner tie rods,ball joints, lower control arms, and steering rack bushings? Jeff did a write up on the inner tie rod issue and solved some vibrating issues with his GS.
Old 11-18-11, 04:39 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Try this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ovement-2.html

Helped me A LOT. My steering used to feel like crap over bumps.
Old 11-18-11, 04:42 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

I also did the lower ball joints and put in daizen sway bar bushings.

haven't done the rack bushings. I'm not sure if they are due for a change yet.

I was told that the lower control arms don't need to be changed.
inner tie rods haven't been changed because I was told that they were okay.

I am at the point that i want to just find the problem and tackle it. I don't wanna do every possible part if i don't have to. I don't have that kind of money to spare anymore.
Old 11-18-11, 05:42 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Rack bushings definitely helps mitigate the issue, although take a look at the thread I posted. It's free.
Old 11-18-11, 06:08 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KingNasGS4
is there any one like me out there?

ever get that time where you take your car to the mechanic to solve an issue in the front end?

you think you will be extremely satisfied and you are also excited to see the results when you get your GS back but the problem is still there?

I know I can't be the only one. stock suspension or dropped on air, we go through it with this car.

I've changed the struts... the outer tie rods, upper control arms, caster arms. and the mechanic told me everything looked sturdy otherwise.

I still hear popping and cracking sounds when i come to a full stop or turn my steering wheel when parallel parking.

my brother has an ls430 and I hate driving my car afterwards. I know granted this is a GS it is not in the same league. but I still feel that the ls feels so much tighter when. hitting potholes or bumps on the road. my suspension feels very loose when hitting bumps. and driving in New York city only highlights this problem more. its to the point that I feel less annoyed driving my 97 Camry.... when i drive with my radio off or very low, there is so much that I hear that sounds wrong with the car.
I love my GS and i don't want to get rid of it

anyone else that goes through never ending front end problems?

or does anyone have any suggestions?

I can sympathize with you. Same here. Stock 02 GS430 with currently 113,000 miles. I've changed everything you've changed plus more (lower control arms, inner tie rods,ball joints a few times). Also steering rack bushings. Car makes random squeak/popping noises when turning. Steering tightened up a little, but not a "brand new" feeling. Sucks because the engine/transmission on this car is great, but the suspension has got to be the weakest ever! Rough and uneven roads its terrible. Sometimes it feels as if the steering is just gonna come off the car. I drove a buddies old stock 3 series bmw with 225k miles on it and it drove tight and new. Now i see why a lot of guys on here mod their GS suspension so that it can drive like a halfway decent car. My wifes 2001 Toyota Echo drives better, more straight and tight than my GS. Yes i said, a freaking 2001 Toyota Echo!!!! I've driven the LS, ES, IS, RX before and none of them drive as bad as the GS. Perhaps Lexus made a engineering mistake just with this model only.
Old 11-18-11, 08:02 AM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our cars stock suspension is pathetic
Old 11-18-11, 08:52 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Get some coilovers. Worked for me
Old 11-18-11, 10:32 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Get some coilovers. Worked for me
I doubt that's the cure to all the issues I have.
Old 11-18-11, 10:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't molest the car, and it will be perfect. Mine's got 140k in NYC, and no problems.
Old 11-18-11, 11:01 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has 156k n runs perfect....I am changing my lower ball joints this week but only bec I don't want it to go out on me one day....but it still feels tight
Old 11-18-11, 04:24 PM
gtmax
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little bit in th esame situation. I've gone through ball joints, shocks, springs (lowered) and i got UCAs next. Steering hasn't improved at all like i wanted it to. For me its not as bad as the OP describes, but after lowering springs i expected much tighter handling. I have no vibrations or anything weird going on, so i'm thankful for that. After i wear these shocks out, i'm going with Bilsteins.

I think part of the problem is that the car was specifically designed to glide over bumps - to be luxurious in all situations. You can't have that kind of comfort with super sharp steering/suspension. Even when you look at Best Motoring videos, the Lexus' are always super soft in stock form.

I remember the first time i drove my car, testing it out right out of my TL. it felt so soft and bouncy - on the highway! and the driving position felt incredibly high. The car certainly doesn't give you a lot of confidence in taking a hard turn. However, the engine is lovely and so is the suspension. I think there's a lot of potential in the car on the aftermarket.
Old 11-18-11, 04:37 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Och
Don't molest the car, and it will be perfect. Mine's got 140k in NYC, and no problems.
I haven't. I mean I got the car used and the driver was also in new York city... so it hasn't been getting the best treatment road wise. I always drive my car carefully.
I will admit that there are times where I can't avoid a pothole. Or I would hit one pothole trying to avoid another.

Where in new York city do you drive?