GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Concerned about amount of heat from led tail resistors

Old 12-28-11, 09:41 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
Pics of it installed please?
Old 12-29-11, 06:17 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like adding the heatsinks to the resistors would make it hard to find an area with enough clearance to mount them.

I've had my resistors in for about 3 weeks now and I haven't had an issue with heat; I also drive about 250-300 miles a day. I've driven 126K miles in 2 and a half years in the GS alone. Approximately 20K miles in other vehicles.
Old 12-29-11, 01:09 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRTNYDSN
Pics of it installed please?
I don't have aftermarket lights but a heatsink is an effective way of dispersing heat. Just stick where you feeling it heating up..

Finding another place to stash em is another story but im sure you can find room
Old 01-02-12, 01:04 PM
rusher
Driver School Candidate

I had these led's for a couple months now and the top seal seems like its falling apart, both sides on the quarter panel where there's a little gap that shows the black plastic part, anyone have this problem? there's no leak or condensation yet, but worried it might fall apart soon
Old 01-28-12, 08:15 PM
Acer
Lead Lap

updates?...
Old 01-28-12, 09:25 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

It's not necessary to use the resistors. They get really hot that's why I dont use them. Plus, if you don't use the resistors, the LEDS should be slightly brighter. You will trigger the brake lamp failure sensor, but theres already a way to bypass it.
Old 03-07-12, 06:23 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is a slightly old thread but I just installed these Depo lights and the resistors are hot as #@**!!!! I have since removed them however after researching, I discovered that the resistors purpose is to help the longevity of the LED bulbs and to prevent the housing of the bulbs from getting too hot. My assumption is that these resistors help remove the heat from the LEDS hence why they get so damn hot??? I mean, these little boxes are so hot, I can't even touch them after running it for awhile. Kinda like a hot radiator cap. I certainly don't want any bulbs blowing on me. From this thread, I see most on here have been driving without them. My questions is, how long have you guys been driving without these resistors without discovering any issues? How critical are these resistors? I care less about that brake lamp warning light, but I don't want any blown bulbs either......
Old 03-07-12, 07:47 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Should have read this thread before I ordered mine last night.

For reference; I'm going to try to purchase these things:

They're essentially a +12v cooling plate. I saw this at a conference I went to any they were using them to quickly cool peppermint patties...into ice patties within minutes.

When I come up with a solution I'll post a DIY.
Old 03-07-12, 08:08 AM
repugnante
Instructor

^ hmmm, I'm curious. Let me know when you get more info on this...
Old 03-07-12, 09:01 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only problem I see with the 12v cooler is that it's going to sweat a bit, and we dont want water or condensation getting in there.

I was thinking:

Last edited by justablkv8; 03-07-12 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-07-12, 09:11 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I've been running my depot lights without resistor ever since day 1 installed. Been a year no problems. The warning light doesnt bother me either

Originally Posted by repugnante
I know this is a slightly old thread but I just installed these Depo lights and the resistors are hot as #@**!!!! I have since removed them however after researching, I discovered that the resistors purpose is to help the longevity of the LED bulbs and to prevent the housing of the bulbs from getting too hot. My assumption is that these resistors help remove the heat from the LEDS hence why they get so damn hot??? I mean, these little boxes are so hot, I can't even touch them after running it for awhile. Kinda like a hot radiator cap. I certainly don't want any bulbs blowing on me. From this thread, I see most on here have been driving without them. My questions is, how long have you guys been driving without these resistors without discovering any issues? How critical are these resistors? I care less about that brake lamp warning light, but I don't want any blown bulbs either......
Old 03-07-12, 09:52 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by justablkv8
The only problem I see with the 12v cooler is that it's going to sweat a bit, and we dont want water or condensation getting in there.

I was thinking:

My only concern with that is the space to place the heat sink. Not sure where I could mount it..
Old 03-07-12, 09:55 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I've been running my depot lights without resistor ever since day 1 installed. Been a year no problems. The warning light doesnt bother me either
Ok, so you just left them alone and didn't bother installing them from the start. Well, if it's been a year with no burnt out bulbs I guess I can say it would be safe to leave it without the resistors.

Anyone else gone this long?
Old 03-07-12, 10:55 AM
Richter7.5
Driver School Candidate

Default LED tails

Originally Posted by repugnante
Ok, so you just left them alone and didn't bother installing them from the start. Well, if it's been a year with no burnt out bulbs I guess I can say it would be safe to leave it without the resistors.

Anyone else gone this long?
I have been running mine without resistors since 9/2009 with no issues.
Old 03-07-12, 11:53 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Ok, cool. Guess i'll run without them then. Thanks fellas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Concerned about amount of heat from led tail resistors