GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

optima red top is dead after 2 weeks....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 11:43 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default optima red top is dead after 2 weeks....

I have my GS parked in a garage till i get it registered and insured.. i went to go check on it yesterday and hit the unlock button on FOB and nothing opened the door with the key and tried to start it and got nothing lights wouldnt even light up on the dash.... Guy i bought it from told me that i should leave the red top on a trickle charger if i was gonna let it sit but never thought it would be dead after a couple weeks, maybe months of sitting i could expect it... is this normal with these batteries????? Prob gonna switch out to a diehard gold or a duralast, because even when i get it on the road its still gonna sit for days at a time with no action... has anyone had problems with the diehard or duralast????
Old 11-12-11, 02:01 PM
Busha
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seivonecsu
I have my GS parked in a garage till i get it registered and insured.. i went to go check on it yesterday and hit the unlock button on FOB and nothing opened the door with the key and tried to start it and got nothing lights wouldnt even light up on the dash.... Guy i bought it from told me that i should leave the red top on a trickle charger if i was gonna let it sit but never thought it would be dead after a couple weeks, maybe months of sitting i could expect it... is this normal with these batteries????? Prob gonna switch out to a diehard gold or a duralast, because even when i get it on the road its still gonna sit for days at a time with no action... has anyone had problems with the diehard or duralast????

It's normal if it was like a month
Old 11-12-11, 02:56 PM
Protagnist
Rookie

You probably got a defect. I have actually had recalls sent to me on batteries that were deemed defective. Take it back.
Old 11-12-11, 03:25 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

2 weeks without using it, most likely battery is gonna die. Our car has a parasitic draw about 70 mA. Leaving it out without charging after 1 1/2 week it will start dying out.
Old 11-12-11, 03:51 PM
SUPRA7TT
Rookie

This is common with The Red top batteries they are at there best when use alot , I have sold and use to use them for years , I always ask my customer if car driven daily when selling a red top, The Yellow top is the best fit for cars that set..
Old 11-13-11, 01:22 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
2 weeks without using it, most likely battery is gonna die. Our car has a parasitic draw about 70 mA. Leaving it out without charging after 1 1/2 week it will start dying out.
Originally Posted by SUPRA7TT
This is common with The Red top batteries they are at there best when use alot , I have sold and use to use them for years , I always ask my customer if car driven daily when selling a red top, The Yellow top is the best fit for cars that set..
+1..

I've had a RED Top Optima, and it does die in about 2-3 weeks if you let it sit. Now I have a Yellow Top and i can go a long time without it dying when connected. Yellow top is best for garage queen cars or for weekend cars. Red top is good for those wanting Hi-Crank power and/or live in Cold (Extreme) Climates who drive their cars often/daily..
Old 11-13-11, 08:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I've had my car parked on my driveway for a month once and it started normally. Either my batteries have ***** or my ECU is efficient as hell
Old 11-13-11, 09:35 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its sitting a long time, start it every couple of days and let it warm up, then shut it off.

Optima has a great warranty if its in fact a bad battery. Take it to the place you bought it.

After a year mine started dying. They sent me a new one the next day.
Old 11-13-11, 09:49 AM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Protagnist
You probably got a defect. I have actually had recalls sent to me on batteries that were deemed defective. Take it back.
Maybe this... NOt sure or maybe something is power on in ur car as light on, power seat on itself, or etc...
Old 11-13-11, 02:31 PM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for all the imput.... like i said car is not really gonna be a daily driver so i'll look into the yellow top or possibly a regular battery... thanks again.....
Old 11-14-11, 09:27 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

I don't use my car every day either and I got a yellow top. What I do is use a battery tender (trickle charger) works great. No more dead batteries for me
Old 11-14-11, 10:03 AM
TYPEII
Racer

What's a good trickle charger, any recommendations...
Old 11-14-11, 10:39 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You might want to look into a solar powered trickle charger. You can plug them into the lighter socket and keep the battery juiced up between uses.
Old 11-14-11, 11:10 AM
TYPEII
Racer

Nice, but car's in the garage most of the time. Plus, no sun during the Winter Months here. Thinking of getting this, read the reviews but just wanted to hear recos from forum members... Works with Gel batteries too.

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-Sma.../dp/B000FQBWCY
Old 11-15-11, 02:43 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

I got mine at harbor freight tools lol I think I paid like $7.99 for it

Quick Reply: optima red top is dead after 2 weeks....