GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

weird gas gauge problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 04:37 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird gas gauge problem?

ok, I posted this before when I bought the car that the only thing I could even find that was off is when I filled up the gas tank it read 3/4 full and someone gave me a tutorial about how to acess the fuel pump. Well today judging by my nav gauge is said I had 34 miles left until empty and it was on 1/4 tank. I parked on a hill, then came out and drove my car and it it changed to a 1/2 tank and said I have 124 miles until empty(or cruising range), so what could that problem be? Will running a can of chem-too fuel injector cleaner help this?
Old 11-09-11, 04:42 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO do not run any additives at all. Hopefully others will chime in with resolution...
Old 11-09-11, 07:32 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Either try Chevron with Techron Synthetic Formula Fuel additives (the one that's in Chevron's gas) or Seafoam. May, cure the problem. Give it a try. Or if your float is stuck then that's pretty useless using these.
Old 11-09-11, 08:15 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Either try Chevron with Techron Synthetic Formula Fuel additives (the one that's in Chevron's gas) or Seafoam. May, cure the problem. Give it a try. Or if your float is stuck then that's pretty useless using these.
if the float is stick, is this something I can fix myself?
Old 11-11-11, 08:11 AM
sho89mtx
Driver

fuel sender DYI out there? This is getting annoying, just filled up again with a 3/4 tank reading
Old 11-11-11, 08:20 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My bet is on the float. it's either stuck or hanging off a bit. You can do it yourself but its a pretty messy job. Wait until you are on E if you don't know how to syphon the gas out through the tank. Otherwise, have plenty of towels and plenty of light and be prepared to reach....it's pretty far into the tank

oh, and get lots of air freshner. Gonna smell like gas in your car for a few weeks
Old 11-11-11, 08:26 AM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by repugnante
My bet is on the float. it's either stuck or hanging off a bit. You can do it yourself but its a pretty messy job. Wait until you are on E if you don't know how to syphon the gas out through the tank. Otherwise, have plenty of towels and plenty of light and be prepared to reach....it's pretty far into the tank

oh, and get lots of air freshner. Gonna smell like gas in your car for a few weeks
k, thanks, i'll have to find some tutorial on how to do it and wait until E
Old 11-11-11, 08:30 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante

OP, don't get scared off - there's a bit of misinformation here. You simply need to roll down all the windows, take off the seat cushion, and remove the silver cap. Next, I jack the car up just high enough to fit a small, wide bucket under the car. Remove the gas line and electrical clip. The gas line is under pressure, so you have to quickly put it in the crevasse. The bucket will catch the tiny amount of gas. Remove the 8 or 9 screws and the fuel pump will be out. Readjust it and install in reverse order.
Old 11-11-11, 08:33 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

The car won't reek of gas if you don't spill any. Wear latex gloves, or else you hands will for a day or two.
Old 11-11-11, 09:50 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
The car won't reek of gas if you don't spill any. Wear latex gloves, or else you hands will for a day or two.
wasn't trying to scare him, just wanted to give him some insight on what he could be facing. I was pretty careful and I still managed to spill a bit. Especially when I removed the unit from the tank. That little bit made the car reek for a while.
Old 11-11-11, 09:55 AM
sho89mtx
Driver

OP, don't get scared off - there's a bit of misinformation here. You simply need to roll down all the windows, take off the seat cushion, and remove the silver cap. Next, I jack the car up just high enough to fit a small, wide bucket under the car. Remove the gas line and electrical clip. The gas line is under pressure, so you have to quickly put it in the crevasse. The bucket will catch the tiny amount of gas. Remove the 8 or 9 screws and the fuel pump will be out. Readjust it and install in reverse order.
k, that all makes sense on paper, but i'm visual, so gonna have to look at the tutorial again before i'm confident in doing it. Now what am I doing to fix the problem is what i'm confused about? I understand there is a tutorial out there to change or acess your fuel pump, but neve done any of this and I keep hearing words like "float" etc, but without a picture, don't know what I'm doing or looking for to fix, just understand how to get to that part =)
Old 11-11-11, 01:16 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sho89mtx
k, that all makes sense on paper, but i'm visual, so gonna have to look at the tutorial again before i'm confident in doing it. Now what am I doing to fix the problem is what i'm confused about? I understand there is a tutorial out there to change or acess your fuel pump, but neve done any of this and I keep hearing words like "float" etc, but without a picture, don't know what I'm doing or looking for to fix, just understand how to get to that part =)
No worries. It's pretty straight forward.

Between these two threads, you'll be able to accomplish this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-filter-4.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ge-how-to.html

You don't even need to take the assembly more than half way out of the tank - just move it around a little until it's in the right spot.

The "float" is the yellow piece in the picture. It if gets stuck on a ledge inside the gas tank, it won't read lower than the ledge. (obviously)

Old 11-11-11, 01:42 PM
repugnante
Instructor

You don't even need to take the assembly more than half way out of the tank - just move it around a little until it's in the right spot.

not doubting this by any means, but to be frank, that hole is too small because you need both hands. That's why I removed the whole unit. Sat it on a table so it was right in front of me and attached everything accordingly, then carefully put the unit back in the tank. Then again, I'm 6'5" 250 so maybe my hands, arms are too big....lol