GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 05:36 AM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement

Yesterday I brought my 2001 GS430 to a Toyota dealership near my office to have them replace the timing belt (126k miles, procrastinated on that for a while), replace the rear diff fluid, and check out a clunk in the front end.

A few hours later they call me to say that the tech broke a power steering pulley while trying to remove it and that they had to order one, but that it wouldn't arrive until today. Also, the part was $200. They gave me a loaner car for the night and I was ok with it, but did request that they at least give me the part for cost since they broke it. (Later I looked at the belt replacement tutorials on this site and never saw any mention of a need to remove a power steering pulley, so who knows - any comments on this??)

I then got another call late last night but missed them, so I called them back this morning to get the latest. They got the timing belt replacement completed last night, minus the pulley. They went to fire it up and it wouldn't turn over... Turns out they screwed up the timing belt replacement somehow and bent some valves, plus who knows what else. WTF!!!!! (I assume this probably was as bad as having the belt break?)

They had to file a claim with their insurance and aren't sure if they'll have to rebuild the entire engine or replace it with a new one. Guess I'll be driving this boring Camry loaner for a while longer...ugh....

Anybody have any advice for someone in a situation like this? Obviously I'm going to do my best to pay as little as possible, but I'm not sure how that'll work out. What a mess - glad it was a Toyota dealership and not a private shop!

Sorry for the rant, just frustrated and not sure what to do...

--------------------

Update: Oct 31

Last edited by BiGRiGNiG; 10-31-11 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-28-11, 05:58 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry for the problems that you had. I wouldn't pay anything due to the destroying your engine. Thats why they have insurance so they can easily fork out the money to replace the engine. This reminds me of where I went to Best Buy to have them install a alarm/remote start in my old Infiniti Q45.

Well I went to pick the car and my check engine light was on after I took it home. So I immediately approached the guys who did the job as soon I got off work the next day. Afterwards, all lights came illuminated on my dash as I arrived at Best Buy. Now I'm pissed and ready to knock someone's head off. I drove in and told them they destroyed my car and they needed to fix it. They took the alarm system out of the car and NOW, not only was my AC no working, the CEL was on, along with all of the other dash lights. Now I went and spoke with the manager and told him I was driving my car to the INFINITI shop and BEST BUY was going to pay for them to see what was wrong with my car. It turns out the monkeys wired something wrong and DESTROYED the computer in my car. Of course, BEST BUY provided me a loaner car for a month (yeah I told Infiniti to take their time fixing my so they can make sure they replaced everything that was destroyed by the faulty wiring. I didn't want to get my car back and something crazy happens, then I would be on my dime) and they paid for $1600 worth of damages to my car.

Moral to story...don't let a huge company like Toyota bend you over with no KY!! They have the money so DEMAND they put a NEW engine in your! Do you think I would've accepted Best Buy telling me they were going to put a rebuilt/used ECU in my car?? Heck no. If you are passive during this process, they will bend you over buddy..
Old 10-28-11, 06:08 AM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

Good tips - thanks for the response. I think I'll request a new engine (are they still available out there?). I think the other option would be for them to rebuild mine, but who knows how its reliability/power/etc will be after that. The least favorable third option would be a rebuilt engine, which I would definitely want to avoid. Who knows how that person treated the engine. What a cluster.
Old 10-28-11, 06:21 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

uhm it sounds like they don't know what they are doing...

if they go the route of a brand new engine, i would hope they can't screw up an engine swap... if the plan is to rebuild the engine, i would highly recommend seeing if you could tell them that you want a Lexus dealership, who specializes in our cars, do the work... and that dealership pays them...
Old 10-28-11, 07:34 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. If you took your car for repair somewhere and they mess it up, they need to be the one paying for it, not you.
Old 10-28-11, 07:34 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks! I wouldn't pay for anything that they broke! These big companies have insurance for that reason. Also if possible try to get it to Lexus for the new rebuild/replacement of the motor. If toyota insist that they do it, make sure to get some kind of warranty in writing. GL
Old 10-28-11, 08:02 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.....sucks but this happens at dealerships more often than you think. First off, I wouldn't pay for that pulley that they broke initially. That's their responsibility. Your reference to the DIY not taking off the PS pump is irrelevant. Each tech does things differently. For this tech, it was likely his first time doing a GS430 so he was taking off whatever he felt would need to be taken off. They don't follow service manuals. No need, really.

Regarding the engine....they're going to, at bare minimum, take the heads off, have them inspected, and they'll likely have an inspector check out the cylinders. I highly doubt the motor ran if the belt was mis-timed. Therefore, likely no damage in the block itself. But, who knows?

Keep us posted. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Old 10-28-11, 08:20 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear your misfortune. I'm like the other posters, why would you even need to pay for the first part they broke? They need to pay and you shouldn't be out of pocket for that. Also, you shouldn't be out of pocket for any repairs whatsoever, and definitely get all documentation of work done, so if anything else happens down the line, you are covered.
Old 10-28-11, 08:34 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I worked for Toyota for 8 years in sales. I was close to the service side management.

Numerous times they screwed up people engines by doing the wrong thing. From what i recall, in ALL of those cases, a BRAND NEW engine was put on, not a used because customers demand and Toyotas money/funds/insurance that can supply it.

DONT settle for less, settle for as high as possible, remember, THEY, the "Toyota" certified techs ruined YOUR car that was fine before it arrived there. Accidents happen, but you pay good money to get it done right for a reason by going to the dealership. Talk directly to the dealers service manager, if its a corporation then talk to their corporate offices and believe me, you will be happy.
Old 10-28-11, 09:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If you can't even trust them to do a timing belt job, then forget about a rebuild.

Time for a new engine! Might as well buy new engine mounts while you're at it.
Old 10-28-11, 09:07 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Looks like they didnt line up the cams correct ended up bending thr valves
Old 10-28-11, 09:17 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats on the new engine!
Old 10-28-11, 09:26 AM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

Brief update: I called and left a VM for the service manager I've been working with. I asked for updates and advised that I'd like to go the brand new engine route. I also asked if he felt their techs were able to do this or if we should have the local Lexus dealership do the work. I also asked what the warranty would be. Awaiting a call back...

Sadly, the engine has been the least of my concerns about the car - it has been flawless, just needing oil changes up until the timing belt situation. The biggest problem I've had is with balljoints, tie rods, etc (a common problem with all GS cars in this generation) - and the suspension is probably close to beiing worn out as well.
Old 10-28-11, 09:48 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

i am all about being nice to the SM, but make sure you are stern in your demands... don't sell yourself short here and be very clear that you have lost faith in their service and want to ensure your car is properly corrected by a qualified person i.e.. Lexus...

personally i would have been leaning more towards saying something like "i understand that accidents happen, however, the car was flawless when i brought it in and now because of your tech and his inability to properly perform the service, i have a blown engine... if this happened from what should be a common timing belt service, i don't have confidence in his ability to rebuild or replace my engine. i want it done by Lexus since they seem to be more familir with my car...
Old 10-28-11, 10:18 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
congrats on the new engine!
LOL. I was about to say the same thing.

Oh yeah, be proactive. Don't wait. Call corporate right now, email them, whatever. Tell them your situation and have corporate tear Toyota a new one. Get a new engine. Don't even talk to them about the rebuild. They seem like idiots, and a rebuild is a lot more complex than a timing belt. Don't take that chance.

Quick Reply: Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement