GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ive got VIBESSSSSSS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 06:36 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ive got VIBESSSSSSS

No, but seriously folks. I have hated driving my car for the past couple of months that i have been on the freeway on a daily basis. When i bought this car last spring from a forum member it drove perfect with no vibes on the stockers wrapped up in winter gear general altimaxx arctics. When i put my axis shines on i did not notice any vibes until 1 day i went on the freeway above speeds of 60 mph. Anywhere from 0-60 the car rides smooth as heck absolutely no vibes. As soon as you hit 60 it goes into some crazy trance like its going thru a voodoo ritual.

Ok so that got annoying fast and i decided to put the stockers back on. However it was now also causing vibes at the same speed of 60-70. Ok well could it be the loose lbjs and outer tie rods? Maybe..So i went and replaced those and gave it a full 4 wheel alignment (******* at the alignemt shop said we couldnt align one of the rear wheels because one of the bolts was frozen shut and it would be extra in labor to remove it.) So i was too tired to deal with him after coming from work and just took the car.

Next i went to discount tire to get my front tires rebalanced (only the fronts). The 12 year old working there gave me a speech about "how he did this and did that and whatever else jedi warrior type sheet he was talking about" (again i had just come back from work and took the car because i wanted to go home and drink a beer and cook my steak rather than sit at a tire shop smelling rubber.

So the balancing fixed the vibes for a couple of days but now theyre backkkk, and better than ever.

The vibes only come on at 60-70 miles per hour and the steering wheel shakes but also the car itself just a tiny bit.

Any ideas would be appreciated or im going to light this ***** on fire.

thanks all

respectfully

me
Old 10-20-11, 06:53 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have this problem... hope you have a fix so i know what to do with my problem. lol! mine shakes and vibrate around 60 to 70 also.
Old 10-20-11, 06:53 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

hold on, im currently putting gasoline on it. anyone got a match???
Old 10-20-11, 06:55 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your caster arms before you torch it and if there fine then you can torch it
Old 10-20-11, 07:06 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check your tire balance???? That is always the first thing I do when I feel vibes, I get my tires balanced and sometimes an alignment if its been a while.

Most of the time highway vibrations are due to un balanced tires
Old 10-20-11, 07:06 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

inner and outer tie rods and lower control arm #2. change those
Old 10-20-11, 07:39 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

^^ oh lord thats exactly what i want to avoid is throwing money at it. Everything on it is super super tight tie rods are new. Ive had 3 2Gs's before this one with never any vibing issues. Hell my last one had 160k on stock caster and lower control arms drove smooooth.
Old 10-20-11, 07:47 PM
Redline26
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a front strut bar under the hood and that helped decrease the wobble. About 85-90% of it is gone. Not sure if you wana try it, but helped me.
Old 10-20-11, 07:56 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's wheel balance if you only get it from high speeds 60mph+ specially if you're running aftermarket rims. And make sure you use hubcentric rings, they cost alot, like 15-20 bucks a set. I had the same issue a few months back, after balancing and rebalancing from discount tires I went to an independent shop that specializes in aftermarket rims, and voila! They were able to fix my vibes issue, never again will I go to these big tire companies, services are horrible just because they're well known already.
Old 10-20-11, 08:02 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

^^The wheels on the car are curently the stockers. I will have to rebalance them somewhere else and see where it goes since its the cheapest route.
Old 10-21-11, 07:54 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
^^The wheels on the car are curently the stockers. I will have to rebalance them somewhere else and see where it goes since its the cheapest route.
If you go to Sears or Sam's club its dirt cheap
Old 10-21-11, 12:15 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

i had just come back from work and took the car because i wanted to go home and drink a beer and cook my steak rather than sit at a tire shop smelling rubber.
Dude, I love the smell of new tire rubber. mmmm....

Though the smell of grilling steak does trump the tires so I dounderstand.

Otherwise, the zillion threads I've seen on the ~60mph shakes leave nothing specific as a guaranteed fix for everyone. It just seems that everything about the front of the car has to be perfect or it'll shake, and that multiple parts can cause the seemingly same shake which is why everyone has a different experience of which part fixed it.

For what it's worth, I had the shakes bad on mine, it was smooth as silk under 60 and over 70, anywhere in between and it felt like the car was gonna come apart. I rebuilt the steering rack and it went away. I even still have the original caster arms on at the moment and no shakes since.
Old 10-21-11, 01:31 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

lol pretty much every front suspension part has to be replaced.
Old 10-21-11, 02:40 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

tie rods are new.
including the inner tie rods? castor bushings good also?
Old 10-21-11, 02:50 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
including the inner tie rods? castor bushings good also?
I did already mention that to him

Quick Reply: Ive got VIBESSSSSSS