GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Newly GS430 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 11:27 AM
zGS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly GS430 Owner

Hello Everyone,
I finally signed up, have enjoyed reading the many informative posts over the years.
I've owned a 1993 ES300, that I bought 7 years ago (which i came across by chance) with 78K miles on it for a VERY good price, that's how i got to love the Lexus brand and have been loving it ever since.
I just bought this car : http://tinyurl.com/zgs430 $12k 128K on it. The guy did Timing belt and everything that goes with a timing belt change, water pump, pulleys etc, a week ago, AC and new brakes a couple of months ago.

So few questions? mostly to find out whats normal and what might not be.

1 - Just so i don't have buyers remorse, was that a good deal? what do you think of the car?
2 - I did test drive it, but when i took it out the showroom and drove home on the highway, the steering would wobble a lot at high speeds.
3 - Everytime i would go over a bump, i can see the car go up and down is that normal?
4 - I filled up the tank this AM, i put regular unleaded and while i was standing pumping the gas, i saw PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL ONLY, does that mean I could NEVER put regular in this car?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Z
Old 10-13-11, 11:37 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to Clublexus. Your link works but doesn't direct you to your car?
Old 10-13-11, 12:53 PM
zGS430
Driver School Candidate

you are right, they must have taken it down recently.
i'll upload pics, good thing i downloaded them
Old 10-13-11, 01:55 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

seems like a good deal..but we def need pics to validate...you want to use Premium only trust me you will see y they said it...high speeds issues that could be "speed balancing" or control arm....
Old 10-13-11, 03:14 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please see below:

Originally Posted by zGS430
Hello Everyone,
I finally signed up, have enjoyed reading the many informative posts over the years.
I've owned a 1993 ES300, that I bought 7 years ago (which i came across by chance) with 78K miles on it for a VERY good price, that's how i got to love the Lexus brand and have been loving it ever since.
I just bought this car : http://tinyurl.com/zgs430 $12k 128K on it. The guy did Timing belt and everything that goes with a timing belt change, water pump, pulleys etc, a week ago, AC and new brakes a couple of months ago.

So few questions? mostly to find out whats normal and what might not be.

1 - Just so i don't have buyers remorse, was that a good deal? what do you think of the car? I paid $6k for a '98 with 140k on it, I am not sure what a 430 with 128k is worth.
2 - I did test drive it, but when i took it out the showroom and drove home on the highway, the steering would wobble a lot at high speeds. Could me many things, check lower control arm #2 and wheel balancing.
3 - Everytime i would go over a bump, i can see the car go up and down is that normal? Yes it is normal for a car to go up and down over a bump. I think you mean "bounce" after the bump? if so then replace your shocks.
4 - I filled up the tank this AM, i put regular unleaded and while i was standing pumping the gas, i saw PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL ONLY, does that mean I could NEVER put regular in this car? Put premium in your car. These cars put 300hp out of 4 liters, they need the premium gas.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Z
Old 10-13-11, 03:47 PM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome buddy. a lot of new members been poppin up.

i paid $14K for 02 gs3 with i think 60k miles.

wheels wobbling at high speeds could be different reasons..tire balancing..suspension tweeks, etc.

as for premium gas, theres a reason why it says premium only...since i got into lexus' ive never put regular on it. it sux..but if you want to maintain your car's internals, then u gotta run it. =)
Old 10-13-11, 06:35 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to the club buddy. I see all your questions have been answered so far ..
Old 10-13-11, 07:30 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to CL.
With that mileage you need to change upper and lower ball joints, shocks, and trailing arm bushing. I did and my car is transformed. I use mid-grade (89) with 10% ethanol and have no problems. With care, these cars can go far further than just about anything on the road
Old 10-14-11, 02:10 PM
zGS430
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the info, i really appreciate it.

here are the pics : let me know what you guys think :

http://tiny.cc/GS430 Pics

http://tiny.cc/GS430e ebay listing

it is fully loaded. the guy did Timing belt just a week ago, got the receipt $800. brakes and AC couple of months ago and told me he spent $1600 on that and would not budge on the price. actually this car was sold and the financing didnt' go thru. I was hesitant on the high miles, i came across a few with less miles but pretty much about the same price, but they were all base models.

I will sure keep in mind the premium, now that i already put regular and still have 3/4 of a tank, should i add octane booster or anything else?

Once again thanks and great being part of this club!!!
Old 10-14-11, 02:29 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

finally we got pics to look at... clean.. keep it that way lol... u can get the octane booster but may not be neccessary... "just don't do it again" (father voice).... the price isn't the best in the world but it's not gonna kill you so if u like it then its worth it....once again WElcome and LET the FUN BEGIN
Old 10-14-11, 04:16 PM
zGS430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!
Will do on the premium!
...well its gonna be 60 months of payments !

I will do my best...with snow etc in this part of town, i feel like keeping it in garage except for those nice sunny days...Black cars are just dirt magnets.
Old 10-14-11, 05:25 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Man thats a complete different car than my GS300, welcome aboard it looks great. I was also having vibes in mine and replaced the lower ball joints and tie rods with no effects. I re balanced the front tires only not the rears and it helped a lot but still some vibes there. Could be i need new wheel bearings, upper control arms and lower ones as well.
Old 10-14-11, 06:22 PM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

wow man..dats clean.
Old 10-14-11, 09:12 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sweet ride! Looks well taken care of!
Old 10-16-11, 06:37 PM
zGS430
Driver School Candidate

Great thanks guys, D-Boi, i'll take it in an get couple of opinions on the joints. the other thing i noticed was that going over bumps, gutters etc, you can really feel the bump, i mean it hurts, i found myself like avoiding any and every obstacle on the road. I was driving my old es300 today, and that is such a smooth ride, go over anything you hardly feel it, it is 18 years old, with 168K on it, with original joint/shocks etc..never did any work on that.

so you guys think i shouldn't sweat too much about the 128K miles on it??

thanks!

Quick Reply: Newly GS430 Owner