GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering experts pleaaaase chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 09:34 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Steering experts pleaaaase chime in!

Whats up CL. I have an 01 GS430 I just bought with 93k on it. I was having a problem with loose steering and the steering not returning to center after a turn . For example when making a slow turn the steering stays where you left it turned, it doesnt swing back to center on its own like my other 99 GS3 did which was driving perfect so I know this cant be normal. So I thought it was an alignment, I took it to the alignment expert in the neighborhood and he drove it around the block and knew something wasn't right. He had someone sit in the driver seat and wiggle the wheel while we went under the car, he showed me the 3 steering rack bushings (the exact ones daizen sells as a poly replacement) were moving and allowing play in the steering rack. He said he can't align the car correctly until I change those out. I also notice that when wiggling the wheel you can hear and feel a popping noise in the steering wheel and you can also hear and feel this popping noise sometimes when first taking off from a stop with the steering turned I believe. Is this noise and the way it drives just because of the bushings and alignment? Or is it possible the rack and pinion is bad? because another mechanic I took it to for a second opinion says the noise is the rack and pinion which is bad. Im PRAYING I can just change the bushings and it will drive normal again. Anyone with any info please let me know, thanks!
Old 08-30-11, 09:47 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Whats up CL. I have an 01 GS430 I just bought with 93k on it. I was having a problem with loose steering and the steering not returning to center after a turn . For example when making a slow turn the steering stays where you left it turned, it doesnt swing back to center on its own like my other 99 GS3 did which was driving perfect so I know this cant be normal.
That sounds like your ball joints. I had a similar problem with mine, to go along with creaking and clunking sounds and it turned out to be bad ball joints. Others will chime in with their opinions as well....
Old 08-30-11, 10:08 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

here we go again with the ball joints. Everyone has me paranoid but two mechanics that checked it said the ball joints were fine. I'm so paranoid because I've seen what a car looks like when the ball joints fail. I PRAY that doesn't happen to me. Is there any way to check for ball joints besides wiggling the wheel.
Old 08-30-11, 10:54 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Three mechanics looked at mine and said exactly that, "they're fine". For these cars, looking at it and the normal 12 o'clock 6 o'clock test won't tell you if they are going to snap or not. I had the same steering issue you had. Once I replaced the ball joints, I never had the problem again. Steering wheel would go back into position naturally instead of me forcing it
Old 08-30-11, 10:57 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Looks like this was suggested to you in your other thread as well. For piece of mind, just replace them. Then we'll see if you still have that steering issue
Old 08-30-11, 08:31 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I'm changing them tonight I will let you guys know what happens. Hopefully it fixes the problem and someone will benefit from this thread in the future
Old 08-30-11, 09:04 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Why you keep making new threads? Stick with the old ones...
Old 08-31-11, 01:45 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

it WAS my ball joints, you guys definitely know your ****. Now the car returns to center. I just need an alignment now. but of COURSE nothing can ever be fixed without something else going wrong. After changing the lower ball joints the VSC ABS and VSC OFF lights are on. Can anyone with experience tell me what this means. I searched online and some people say the ABS sensor is ruined or is it possible for him to just plug something back in? or did he guarantee mess it up? sorry for posting in both sections but different people are in both threads
Old 08-31-11, 09:19 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

You need to search harder.