GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

my GS300 Won't keep spark on wire #1, need help anyone please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 09:55 PM
982jzge805
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my GS300 Won't keep spark on wire #1, need help anyone please!

My original post, was (Please I need help, I took off my VVTI and now it won't start.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-generation/577681-please-i-need-help-i-took-off-the-vvti-and-now-it-wont-turn-over.html

Now although, no one replied, I now have put back the head, with a new gasket and reused the bolts as they aren't torque to yield, so they can be. And, I have good compression and TDC and BTDC are all good, no more bending valves. I think we bent them, when tightening the cam gear, we left it at TDC instead of BTDC as your suppose to and the intake and exhaust touched piston #1 just enough to bend all for of them.

Now, the car wont start but turns over and wants too, it's like something stopping it in the ECU, I replaced my fuel pump, $200 dollars later and nothing, so I don't wanna keep shotguning and buying new parts, please help someone!

After reading codes, we realized that the car thought it was -40 and the ECT was telling it that. When we checked, I forgot to connect it, but there was also a code for the ignitor, CPS and others came up. Once I reconnected the ECT, we cleared the codes and no more codes would read, but car still won't start?

When checking all the wires and coil packs #1 only gets 1 spark and then stops and the others get good spark, so we swapped coil packs and same thing, checked for continuity from #1 to the pins on the connector that connects to the ignitor and they beep.

So, lastly, I removed the ignitor and and checked the pins that connect to that coil and they do not beep or have any ohms what so ever, when opened the ignitor to look inside, I see a glob of what look to be loose solder to me, behind the 1st chip, but this whole circuit is submerged in one of those gels, so I don't know how I could even try to reflow it?

Any help would be great, this part is expensive and I don't understand how it could go out, when my car was running before all of this, but was starting to have some issues starting. Which I though was more along the lines of my fuel pump going out? Bottom line, something is stopping the spark to goto #1. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks, in advance. :-)
1LUVHQ
Old 08-25-11, 10:23 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check to see if your crank gear has any broken teeth. ( i just replied to your last post disregard ) Kinda weird that your car was running before you took it apart
Old 09-01-11, 10:53 AM
982jzge805
Driver School Candidate

Default Will check the crank pulley teeth

I will check, but I don't think that's the problem? I never removed the belt completely, I left the lower timing cover over the crank pulley on. I am going to test my ignitor now on another GS300 and see if it starts, I will post a picture, but you visually see a glob of solder behind the chip which controls the spark that I'm not getting and there is an open between the pins for that coil pack, rather than continuity?

If anyone knows where I can get schematic for the ignitor, please forward me?

Thanks for your input..

1LUVHQ
Old 09-01-11, 07:45 PM
982jzge805
Driver School Candidate

Default Picture of ignitor and glob of solder

This what it looks like. Except for, now I can't see anything anymore because my kids got their fingers in it and poked enough to make the clear visual a complete musky look now, lol...
Attached Thumbnails my GS300 Won't keep spark on wire #1, need help anyone please!-sam_0154.jpg   my GS300 Won't keep spark on wire #1, need help anyone please!-ignitor-jpeg.jpg  
Old 10-05-11, 01:48 PM
982jzge805
Driver School Candidate

Thanks clos430, I guess no one in the CL forum has any information or knowledge that can help me?

I just made the following post below out of desperation:

I need to rule out if my ignitor is bad or not, before I purchase a used one or new one and I will pay someone or whatever it takes?

I can send money thru paypal as collateral or any other arrangment that makes you comfortable that I will returns yours.

Or if anyone knows of an ohms test or somehow I can test it myself, but it's been 3 months now and I haven't found any schematic or info on how to check it, myself?

Thanks, for any help in advance, you can see my other threads, to follow up to where im at and have been with my GS300.

Last edited by 982jzge805; 10-05-11 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 12:15 PM
982jzge805
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Well I fixed it 2 months ago, but haven't been on the CL forum for a while, sorry but here is the verdict.

Doneve79 is gonna kill me, since he showed me this back in July when we were having the same problem, none the less. Cylinder 1, would only send one spark and then not again or enough to turn over the engine, but all the other cylinders would.

Sometimes you just have to go back to simple mechanics and check for the basics like we did (Spark/fuel) and ask your self and check every link that would address and/or prevent either to isolate the malfunction.

Well, Long story short, a friend of a friend works for Lexus, had brought up the crank pulley as Doneve79 did, but I reluctantly stated again, how I never completely removed the timing cover, so it couldn't be damaged!

Well, my original friend that was helping me had dropped a bolt in the bottom timing cover, I think from the valve cover or something? He spent an hour or so, trying to fish it out, with one of those magnetic extension tools and when he was finally exhausted, he had me go at it until I finally retrieved it, grrrr, just as when he broke the PCV valve off in the valve cover (I eventually got it out).
So if I remember correctly, the way I got it out, he turned the crank pulley counter CW while I pulled it out with the magnetic extension. So when I explained this, I was told I need to rule it out and take out the crank pulley and when I did, what I found was horrible, but none the less a huge relief! There was about 7 teeth that were completely broken, gone! What a joke, hope someone will benefit from this and check the timing pulley, since it doesn't take that long..

Thanks Doneve79 clos430, Tinman and everyone else on this thread that gave me there input/expertise and support, much love.

1LUVHQ