GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Heated Seats

Old 08-02-11, 05:38 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Seats

Pulled my seats out to shampoo my rugs, and after putting seats back in, my heated seats do not work.

Also the small icon on the bottom of the switch no longer lights up.

No harnesses or clips were broken and were clipped back in properly...

Any ideas???
Old 08-02-11, 06:32 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your fuse
Old 08-02-11, 06:55 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Fuse is good. So is relay?!!
Old 08-02-11, 07:19 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Although the "seat heater" icon on the bottom doesn't light up, the orange indicator light on top DOES when you put the switch in the on position...weird. I don't know what the deal is with this.

The fuse is definately good, and if by the strange chance BOTH driver side and passenger side clips aren't fully connected, it wouldn't be getting power so the orange "on" indicator light would not be on when depressed in the on position...mm
Old 08-02-11, 10:37 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

first off, its the middle of the summer who cares if thge heated seats work....EVEN in NY.

secondly have you considered the fact that the bulbs may have burnt out on the bottom? if the orange light is coming on they working.....

try my DIY and replace the bulbs

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ator-bulb.html

BTW did u even bother to check them when the orange light was on to see if they heating up?
Old 08-02-11, 11:59 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
first off, its the middle of the summer who cares if thge heated seats work....EVEN in NY.
i dont even use them in the winter lol. its just the point of something not working that bugs the crap out of me...i have OCD like that

secondly have you considered the fact that the bulbs may have burnt out on the bottom? if the orange light is coming on they working.....

try my DIY and replace the bulbs
that may be a possibility...its just kind of strange the light was on the night before and decided to go out once the seats were pulled and put back in

BTW did u even bother to check them when the orange light was on to see if they heating up?
yes, i feel nothing...on both sides. i can tell when they are on, as i hit the button all the time by mistake when i put my ipod there...all of a sudden i feel my seat getting hot.

Thanks for the DIY link, im going to take it apart tomorrow and replace the bulbs.

on the other hand, if the orange light is lighting up obviously the switch is working and getting power...why the heater is not turning on is a different story
Old 08-03-11, 02:19 AM
fabianC
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem too
Old 08-03-11, 03:06 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

This is so easy... Their suppose to not work..!! Yes you read right.. This happen to me a couple of times and I thought my seats didn't work but its working fine.. The car has a sensor, it figures out when you need the heat or not.. (For example) one day i was cleaning the car accidentally flip the heated switches.. and later saw them lit, i thought oh crap seats probably on fire by now.. nope, nothing.. I thought WTF.. and was checking fuses and wiring and nothing is wrong.. later that night once it cooled i was driving along and turn the heated seats on, it worked.. I looked at outside temp was 50 degrees, i thought hmm.. and next day weather was in the high 70's - i turned the seats on again.. it lights the switch but no heat, i looked at the temp gauge, 79 outside.. So the seats are smart, its not going to give heat when it reaches a certain temp outside.. Maybe something wrong with my car but I actually like this, kinda like a fail-safe smart sensor.

Once, I was in a friend's Acura and accidentally flipped the heated seats while it was 80 degrees outside and was driving around thinking why is it so freaking warm in this car and i have the air on max!! This is why.. Lexus defeats the heated-seats for this purpose.. I say its smart-seats.. So theres nothing wrong with your seats, just wait til a cool night or morning and try it..
Old 08-03-11, 07:20 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
This is so easy... Their suppose to not work..!! Yes you read right... The car has a sensor, it figures out when you need the heat or not... So the seats are smart, its not going to give heat when it reaches a certain temp outside... Lexus defeats the heated-seats for this purpose...I say its smart-seats
This is the first I have heard of this. Do you have any documentation or links to info to back this up?
Old 08-03-11, 09:29 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
This is so easy... Their suppose to not work..!! Yes you read right.. This happen to me a couple of times and I thought my seats didn't work but its working fine.. The car has a sensor, it figures out when you need the heat or not.. (For example) one day i was cleaning the car accidentally flip the heated switches.. and later saw them lit, i thought oh crap seats probably on fire by now.. nope, nothing.. I thought WTF.. and was checking fuses and wiring and nothing is wrong.. later that night once it cooled i was driving along and turn the heated seats on, it worked.. I looked at outside temp was 50 degrees, i thought hmm.. and next day weather was in the high 70's - i turned the seats on again.. it lights the switch but no heat, i looked at the temp gauge, 79 outside.. So the seats are smart, its not going to give heat when it reaches a certain temp outside.. Maybe something wrong with my car but I actually like this, kinda like a fail-safe smart sensor.

Once, I was in a friend's Acura and accidentally flipped the heated seats while it was 80 degrees outside and was driving around thinking why is it so freaking warm in this car and i have the air on max!! This is why.. Lexus defeats the heated-seats for this purpose.. I say its smart-seats.. So theres nothing wrong with your seats, just wait til a cool night or morning and try it..
Something might be up with your car bro lol...the heated seats work all the time regardless of the temp outside.

Prior to the other day when they stopped working, I would hit the switch all the time by mistake when the temp outside would be 85+ and within a minute or so my @$$ would be on fire. Lol

Same thing in my 07 GS3 and my 11 RX350...the heater will work at any time...wheather it be 30 degrees out or 90.

Maybe your car is just smarter than my cars lol
Old 08-03-11, 10:02 PM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

lol that would be kool if that was the case in my car, since my friends like to turn on the heated seat when I am not looking