GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to wire stock hids to a non hid 2002 gs300

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 12:25 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesnt glare if point them down. My point was, not EVERYONE wants to throw 300-500 on headlights. Maybe the guy just wants HID's and thats it. That doesnt make him/her ricer. If it was ricer, then we are all in the same boat.

Everyone mod's to there satisfaction. Did i fingerpoint, inhales, to your modifications?

And yes, we understand the difference between the Halogen bowls and doing a retofit.

End of this discussion.

Last edited by L3XOTIC; 07-30-11 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 02:31 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

I also was wondering about the ricer statements if you have hid with halogen headlights....

I have heard that statement quite a few times on here.... Shoot it even made me go get some retro projection headlights from a member on here lol I don't know why the ricer statement affected me so much
Old 07-30-11, 03:05 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
It doesnt glare if point them down. My point was, not EVERYONE wants to throw 300-500 on headlights. Maybe the guy just wants HID's and thats it. That doesnt make him/her ricer. If it was ricer, then we are all in the same boat.

Everyone mod's to there satisfaction. Did i fingerpoint, inhales, to your modifications?

And yes, we understand the difference between the Halogen bowls and doing a retofit.

End of this discussion.

Originally Posted by vwynn
grow some thicker skin. It seems as if most people on the 2GS board are now over sensitive.

was i calling you a ricer too? no. If you know the difference compared to halogen bowls vs HID bowls then you would understand what im saying...

im sure living in Cali youve seen many cars with drip in HID's in their halogen bowls.. its JDM glare YO! umm yea ricer. Ever stood in front of a 2GS with halogen + HID?? super glare. ever stood in front of a 2GS HID bowl with HID? its quite pleasant.

Obviously the OP wants something better so he wants to go with a HID headlight vs HALOGEN headlights with the PNP HID.

Stop getting offended when it wasnt directed to you. Im only voicing my opinion about the HID in Halogen bowls. This is a forum after all... not a flame war.

oh and another.. to the OP. with the money spent on HID headlights, go for projector retrofit... its better than the OE HID headlights but it doenst have the cool leveling adjustment.
+1, I think the difference between halogen and dowing retrofits is easy enough to understand even for those who have NO INTEREST whats so ever in cars know the difference between a halogen and HID bulbs

for those who do not know anything about retrofitting, how do u know that 300-500 will cover the cost of a retrofit? what about the proneness to leaking? or the condensation that could accure due to heating open the headlights? or the melting of the headlights? or the sensor within the back of the car that is needed to adjust the auto leveling? one of these small errors could cost you to purchase a new headlight to readjust or fix. keep in mind these are just a few of the many problems associated with retrofitting.

compared to all these costs, risks, etc. to retrofitting, one can take the simple way out and drop some HID's on their car (and I highly suggest lowering the projection of the HID's to shoot more towards the ground) andcall it a day.

u know the funny this is i find a lot of people who have the HID Headlights in their GS actually hate how they are and look and rather end up retrofitting anyways. personally, i just wired up a friends PNP HID from DDM, lowered the headlights and the glare isnt really that bad, most of the light is aimed at the floor, while I do admit that his 4300k are EXTREMELY bright.

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 07-30-11 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 03:27 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC

End of this discussion.
i understand not everyone wants to throw 300-500. perfectly cool with me. The OP wants to. and go ahead, point fingers at my mods

Originally Posted by HellaG35
+1, I think the difference between halogen and dowing retrofits is easy enough to understand even for those who have NO INTEREST whats so ever in cars know the difference between a halogen and HID bulbs

for those who do not know anything about retrofitting, how do u know that 300-500 will cover the cost of a retrofit? what about the proneness to leaking? or the condensation that could accure due to heating open the headlights? or the melting of the headlights? or the sensor within the back of the car that is needed to adjust the auto leveling? one of these small errors could cost you to purchase a new headlight to readjust or fix. keep in mind these are just a few of the many problems associated with retrofitting.

compared to all these costs, risks, etc. to retrofitting, one can take the simple way out and drop some HID's on their car (and I highly suggest lowering the projection of the HID's to shoot more towards the ground) andcall it a day.

u know the funny this is i find a lot of people who have the HID Headlights in their GS actually hate how they are and look and rather end up retrofitting anyways.

FXR projector - $135
Shroud $30
DDM HID set $50
Luxury Mod Bracket - $60.
Total- $275.

Regarding condensation, its gunna happen to everyone. Ive owned 2 GS400's and both cars had steamy headlights after wash. You have to reseal them up regardless... or find where the hole is.

Regarding melting, using a heat gun and just heating up the glue works (i did that to open my headlights) and you dont run the risk melting it in the oven. obviously you have to be careful doing it.

Regarding the sensor in the suspension, those dont really get damaged unless you run over something... ive yet to read up on anything like that.

and yes i agree with your last comment.. thats why im retrofitting.

any to everyone stop getting all butt hurt when the term ricer gets thrown out LOL... we're not in highschool anymore, at least the older folks
Old 07-30-11, 03:51 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^ i will follow your mini DIY as I retrofit, thanks for the valuable info
Old 07-30-11, 04:07 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

The term "ricer" shouldnt even be thrown out on a LEXUS forum, no butthurt. Everything is settled now lol
Old 07-30-11, 04:14 PM
pinoy8317
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a set of OEM HID headlights but didnt install the autoleveling just the HID i got the set for $80 just needs to be re-clearcoated i had the aftermarket HID kit also before I got the OEM HID and the output is clearer than the nonHID
Old 09-06-11, 07:07 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Is there a write up for installing OEM hid? I got a possible sports design hid from a friend. So I wanna make sure
Old 07-26-12, 10:33 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

well i got a question for the auto leveling sensors if anybody knows. if the car is lowered quite a bit how or in what position would i need to adjust the sensors so i get a good level for the stock HIDS?
Old 07-27-12, 06:17 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You would need a wire harrness from an aftermarket hid kit for a 9006. It's the harness that connects the aftermarket ballast to the headlights. Plug one side to the harness on the car and the other end, use the prongs to connect into the oem hid ballast. Your you have to break the ends of the aftermarket wire harness to make it fit in that oem hid headlight white plug. And as far as the auto leveling feature, good luck with that. You would have to get the sensors from a Lexus gs that has oem hid. Refer to post 14 on the first page. It is and will be a pita. Good luck with that if you choose to use the auto level unit. If it doesn't beam right, manually adjust it yourself and save you time.

Last edited by YxUxMADDDD; 07-27-12 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-27-12, 10:11 AM
str8lucky
Pole Position

I had a buddy who used pig tails. I can take some pictures for you to show you on what the wire looked like. But I believe auto-leveling will not work. But it will look better then HID in halogen lamps.
Old 07-27-12, 05:38 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Imma make a short picture write up that'll be self explanatory
Old 07-27-12, 05:46 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No need for autolevel, all it really does is just go up and down when you turn on your lights. Yes it adjust your light level as your driving, not much of a difference.

For melting the headlight part, be smart and research before your headlights into the oven or whatever method you do.

I got a free FX-R kit from TRS and its one of the best upgrades i've done on my car. At first i thought retrofiting was a joke, but jeeze output is insane.
Old 07-27-12, 06:43 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Here y'all go! Courtesy of..... ME!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...on-hid-gs.html