GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My JZS161 conversion

Old 09-12-11, 04:38 AM
Moose161
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is Australian delivered, meaning they only came with a 2JZGE VVT-i, no turbo models.

So i bought a GTE VVT-i from a JZS161 from Japan to fix this

May as well do a bit of an update:

i have decided to convert to single turbo before i put the motor in. heres a list of things ive got and an in the process of getting:

-seimens 850cc injectors
-billet fuel rail
-Trust style intake plenum (will be converting back to cable throttle).... also, if anyone has done this already, does it affect the functioning of the cruise control? because id like to keep it. Ill make it work one way or another.
- 80mm throttle body

things in process:
-sard 265L pump and JPK
-sard fuel reg
- 6boost exhaust manifold
- Garret T04Z
- Turbosmart 50mm progate
- Autronic SM4 ECU

Also decided to take a different route with the clutch setup... going to ditch the supra gear and put in a custom reverse swing pedal with a Wilwood master cylinder and remote mount reservoir kit

should be easier than stuffing round trying to get the pedal to sit right and the master to line up.
Old 09-12-11, 07:54 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please post pictures of the pedal setup when you're done.
Originally Posted by Moose161
The car is Australian delivered, meaning they only came with a 2JZGE VVT-i, no turbo models.

i have decided to convert to single turbo before i put the motor in. heres a list of things ive got and an in the process of getting:

-seimens 850cc injectors
-billet fuel rail
-Trust style intake plenum (will be converting back to cable throttle).... also, if anyone has done this already, does it affect the functioning of the cruise control? because id like to keep it. Ill make it work one way or another.
- 80mm throttle body

things in process:
-sard 265L pump and JPK
-sard fuel reg
- Garret T04Z
- Autronic SM4 ECU

Also decided to take a different route with the clutch setup... going to ditch the supra gear and put in a custom reverse swing pedal with a Wilwood master cylinder and remote mount reservoir kit

should be easier than stuffing round trying to get the pedal to sit right and the master to line up.
Old 09-12-11, 09:48 AM
AristoKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moose161

-seimens 850cc injectors
-billet fuel rail
- 80mm throttle body

things in process:
-sard 265L pump and JPK
-sard fuel reg
- Garret T04Z
- Autronic SM4 ECU

Very interesting for some reason I thought the australian models came GTE guess I was wrong... Can't wait to see the finished product please post pics of this awesome build.
Old 09-12-11, 03:57 PM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AristoKing
Congrats on the GS i love the fact that car is RH and it has black interior. Love the drift car as well very nice. Good inspiration
sorry to hijack...
but how do you feel about the color match suede interiors, we get a few here in nz, seen silver and green, and mine is blue. bit different, but not in a bad way i feel.
Old 09-12-11, 05:41 PM
AristoKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by BCHDAZ
sorry to hijack...
but how do you feel about the color match suede interiors, we get a few here in nz, seen silver and green, and mine is blue. bit different, but not in a bad way i feel.
To be honest i'm not a huge fan of the suede interiors. I've only seen a few since we don't get theme here. I think your interior is good enough black is rare to find and get. Mine is tan and I got use to it but i much prefer black interior than grey or tan.
Old 09-14-11, 04:39 AM
Jaik
Driver School Candidate

Hey, lots of aussies in this thread, so thought it was a good thread to post in. Im an aussie also, located in NSW. You said early in the post you can help with getting parts in for the JZS160.. im pretty much looking at doing what you have/in process of doing on my GS300 in the next couple of years.

How much did the 6-speed manual set you back? talked to a local wreckers and they told me i should expect to spend about 8k on it, which is kinda rough on my budget tbh, but if i have to pay that guess ill just have to pay that.. sigh.. But I guess you implied you have contacts in japan-land, is it cheaper over there?
Agree about the black leahter though, exactly the look i want, except im stuck with tan because after waiting for 6months for a white on black to come up i got bored.. gonna turn my old interior into chairs top gear style and just get full interior from wreckers.
Old 10-26-11, 03:20 PM
PMP 300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Moose can you pm me your mobile number im in brisbane and i have just started my swap as well i think it would be good to meet up and swap ideas and problems. cheers reece
Old 11-13-11, 08:37 PM
christodav
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am still watching this!!!

Hey don't forget to make sure you work on the suspension and handling aspects of the car as well. I am concentrating on this right now while I am still in Japan. However, I have found FIGS in the US to be the way to go with alot of the suspension gear. I am going to fit Cusco swaybars and underside bars. I still have not fully decided on the coilovers yet - there are too many to choose from!

As far as my turbos, I am going down the path of updating the existing set-up in order to maintain the sequential system. There is a guy in Queensland that provides the service at very reasonable prices. I am chasing sporty handling with a bit more grunt whilst maintaining the lux sedan theme. (It's still a lux-barge!)

Oh and I hope you ditch the woodgrain! My car has the dark mable and love it!

Keep updating us!

Chris
Old 01-15-13, 04:55 AM
Moose161
Driver School Candidate

So ive finally been able to start this thing! Heres how its been for the last year or so

Up on stands waiting
Engine out

Interior looking a bit sad at the moment

Gearbox freshened up ready to go in

Test fitted rear mufflers while i was waiting for paint and glue to dry

Couple of other random ones
Old 01-15-13, 08:02 AM
rodneyg73
Driver

I can't wait to see the finish product. Keep us updated with pic's.
Old 01-15-13, 09:06 AM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What size tires are you running on the Works?
Old 01-20-13, 11:49 PM
Moose161
Driver School Candidate

Tyres are 215/40. They are a bit small, but work great on untouched panels. Im going to move to a 235/40 when i finish the engine swap
Old 02-07-13, 02:09 PM
atxzenki
Rookie

hey this might be a stupid question, but what grille do you have on the car? I just got one that looks just like that (black chrome JZS160 grille) but it looks factory and I have never seen an OEM JZS160 grille, only the newer JZS161 grilles. I got the grille from a friend in Japan
Old 04-25-13, 03:33 PM
Moose161
Driver School Candidate

It's just a jzs161 grille I picked up on Yahoo. Not sure what year it's from or anything.

So I finally got round to test fitting my motor and box the otherday. I've researched for hours and hours on the net with no definitive answer.

1. The gearbox hits the tunnel before I can mate the crossmember to the rails? Has anyone had to bash their trans tunnel to make these things fit?

the moment I'v. Got the box as high as it will go and the crossmember is about 15mm from the rails. Am I trying to sit the box too far up?

2. At the moment I have a supra mount and the stock auto crossmember bolted on. The crossmember holes sit about 20mm too far back.
I've seen photos of people using what looks like a standard crossmember, what combinations is everyone using?

3. The shifter comes up through the stock hole, but it sits right at the back of the console. I'm assuming everyone has cut a new hole and shortened the linkage/shifter bracket?

Many thanks in advance, I really want this going asap!!!
Old 07-15-13, 03:07 AM
Wolfy
7th Gear

Hey Moose161, just curious how your car's coming along?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My JZS161 conversion