GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help from Air ride experts

Old 07-25-11, 05:43 AM
MiggzGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help from Air ride experts

I bought my 2002 GS300 3 months ago, and it came with a UAS kit. I spoke to the old owner and he told me that the UAS kit on the GS was installed back in early 2008... I've been searching on CL forum, and read that there was a problem on UAS kit with the early users before 2009. The problem was, the front spindles will rub against the bags causing it to rip faster.

Well, here's my problem. I know for a fact that none of the bags are ripped, or it will be dumped on the ground because the bags can't hold air in it. My problem is actually the opposite of that, I don't use the bags often since I bought the car. Just here and there to show some friends. I usually leave it on DD height, about a finger and a half gap all the way around. But in the last week, after I park my car for a few hours and when I go in the garage to use the car again, I noticed that the front driver side is lifted higher than the other 3 sides. Not all the way up, but about 3/4 to an inch higher. It looks like the bag is filling air on its own.

Anyone of you ever had the same problem? Any advise on what's going on?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MiggzGS; 07-25-11 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-25-11, 09:15 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a leaking valve. Find the inflate valve for that front one and either clean or replace it. Same thing happen to me
Old 07-25-11, 02:23 PM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ yep ryan is right. One of your valves is bad. Replace and you'll be fine
Old 07-25-11, 04:07 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

air life! wish i could afford it! hahahha. riding static for now!
Old 07-25-11, 04:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

First try to fix, its not hard and no reason to spend money. Remove the pump valve for that bag, get some spray grease and a spare battery. Have someone spray in there while you tap the wires on a battery repeatedly (to open and close it) get it all lubed up and that should take care of the problem.

do you have a water trap on the compressors? The condensation could have gone through the tubes and dried up turning into guck in the valve area causing it to get stuck (you'll know once you pull it off) if it looks dirty from condensation, still clean it off then lube as said above, however I'd recommend to do the same for all 4 bags because if one is nasty, they all are gonna be nasty. I'd disassemble the valves and give them a thorough cleaning, they've been on the car for over 3 years and probably need a good maintenance/lube job (like most us men do )

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 07-25-11 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-26-11, 12:54 AM
antran08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^lol what he said
Old 07-26-11, 01:08 AM
MiggzGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5t341th
Sounds like a leaking valve. Find the inflate valve for that front one and either clean or replace it. Same thing happen to me
Do you know how much a job like this would cost?

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
First try to fix, its not hard and no reason to spend money. Remove the pump valve for that bag, get some spray grease and a spare battery. Have someone spray in there while you tap the wires on a battery repeatedly (to open and close it) get it all lubed up and that should take care of the problem.

do you have a water trap on the compressors? The condensation could have gone through the tubes and dried up turning into guck in the valve area causing it to get stuck (you'll know once you pull it off) if it looks dirty from condensation, still clean it off then lube as said above, however I'd recommend to do the same for all 4 bags because if one is nasty, they all are gonna be nasty. I'd disassemble the valves and give them a thorough cleaning, they've been on the car for over 3 years and probably need a good maintenance/lube job (like most us men do )
LOL... You lost me after the first few sentence... Sorry I'm new to the air suspension game. This is the first ever car I owned with air on it.

Yea I have a water trap connected to my compressors. I just recently released all the water inside the trap. The water that came out was nasty, It was orange kinda like thai iced tea.

Last edited by MiggzGS; 07-26-11 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 07:46 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I'm willing to bet that that same orange stuff (probably rust) has gotten to your valves and thats whats causing one to not completely close. Water traps shouldnt be let to get to that point.
Old 07-26-11, 08:54 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

most likely the rust is from your tank (i bet youre running a steel tank??)

ide personally do a makeover with your air suspension setup.

Aluminum tank or at least a treated steel tank. (stainless steel would be behind AL)
clean the valves and get water traps... it doesnt remove all of the water but it takes out a good amount.
Old 07-26-11, 10:20 AM
MiggzGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I'm willing to bet that that same orange stuff (probably rust) has gotten to your valves and thats whats causing one to not completely close. Water traps shouldnt be let to get to that point.
How often should I empty out the water out of the traps?

Last edited by MiggzGS; 07-26-11 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 03:21 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

whenever you feel like it should be emptied...

CA isnt a super humid place so you wont be capturing LOADS of water. just drain it every month.. thats what i do and i only collect a small bit.

dont forget to empty the tank too since water traps dont collect 100% of the water being pumped in.. UNLESS you are running a long compressor to tank line.. longer line = more room for the hot compressed air to cool down.. this way its easier to collect the condensation.
Old 07-26-11, 03:47 PM
MiggzGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
whenever you feel like it should be emptied...

CA isnt a super humid place so you wont be capturing LOADS of water. just drain it every month.. thats what i do and i only collect a small bit.

dont forget to empty the tank too since water traps dont collect 100% of the water being pumped in.. UNLESS you are running a long compressor to tank line.. longer line = more room for the hot compressed air to cool down.. this way its easier to collect the condensation.
Empty the main tank? How do I go about emptying the tank?
Old 07-26-11, 04:47 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

take the tank out and hold it upside down till all the orange caca is out.. yes disconnect everything and dump it.
Old 07-26-11, 10:07 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

if you have a drain port on the bottom you dont have to turn it upside down ... all you gotta do is remove everything. easy peasy.... not really
Old 07-27-11, 12:08 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
if you have a drain port on the bottom you dont have to turn it upside down ... all you gotta do is remove everything. easy peasy.... not really
wouldnt it make sense if you made like a hose from the with drain with a ball valve design and cut a small hole into the bottom of the car where the spare tire was and just drained it out out the bottom of the car whenever you wanted?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help from Air ride experts