GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

changing original brakes, any recommendations?

Old 03-08-12, 02:01 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing original brakes, any recommendations?

having a friend change my pads, what are the best brand to get for our cars and should I replace all the rotors while I have them off too? The bads are almost metal to metal, so they need to be replaced, but don't know if I should just replace the rotors too since they are probably original too, what do u guys think?
Old 03-08-12, 02:05 PM
gsjerk
Rookie

Originally Posted by sho89mtx
having a friend change my pads, what are the best brand to get for our cars and should I replace all the rotors while I have them off too? The bads are almost metal to metal, so they need to be replaced, but don't know if I should just replace the rotors too since they are probably original too, what do u guys think?
Go ahead and replace them, they are cheap enough... but have you thought of the ls400 brake setup? Might be a good time to step up the ole' brakes.
Old 03-08-12, 02:17 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by gsjerk
Go ahead and replace them, they are cheap enough... but have you thought of the ls400 brake setup? Might be a good time to step up the ole' brakes.
nope can u send me the info on it and also how much are we talking for just the rotors and pads for all 4?
Old 03-08-12, 03:32 PM
gsjerk
Rookie

nope can u send me the info on it and also how much are we talking for just the rotors and pads for all 4?
Its in the brake section here..it will also involve getting new calipers
Old 03-08-12, 03:38 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I would recommend change rotors at the same time. Your mechanic will thank you too.

You need to weigh what is the "best" versus what you want to pay.

I personally would recommend you just get some decent quality blanks and some kind of ceramic pads, and you don't need the most expensive or "best". I would save that for tires or fuel.

I have had success with centric Premium rotors (although they have launched a newer poweralloy and high carbon series that looks interesting-at a minimum this will ensure you got a new rotor) and akebono proact pads.

http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...d=51&Itemid=85
http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...186&Itemid=232

Do get new set of clips (brake hardware kit/ also known as fit kit ) too (these are not expensive).

Last time i found lowest price at partsgeek.com, although both rockauto and tirerack both carry a lot of brake part options. Shop for lowest price.

I highly do not recommend the OEM Toyota parts original pads. These were poorly designed and had to be reengineered to cut away large portions of the pad material to prevent noise (chamfered)

Last edited by raytseng; 03-08-12 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-08-12, 03:42 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Since they are almost metal to metal, might as well change the rotors too. While ur at it, do a brake flush.
Old 03-08-12, 04:28 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with rayteng recommendations. I use this combo on all my cars (akabono and centric) unless you are racing its a good setup.
Old 03-08-12, 04:40 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by raytseng
I would recommend change rotors at the same time. Your mechanic will thank you too.

You need to weigh what is the "best" versus what you want to pay.

I personally would recommend you just get some decent quality blanks and some kind of ceramic pads, and you don't need the most expensive or "best". I would save that for tires or fuel.

I have had success with centric Premium rotors (although they have launched a newer poweralloy and high carbon series that looks interesting-at a minimum this will ensure you got a new rotor) and akebono proact pads.

http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...d=51&Itemid=85
http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...186&Itemid=232

Do get new set of clips (brake hardware kit/ also known as fit kit ) too (these are not expensive).

Last time i found lowest price at partsgeek.com, although both rockauto and tirerack both carry a lot of brake part options. Shop for lowest price.

I highly do not recommend the OEM Toyota parts original pads. These were poorly designed and had to be reengineered to cut away large portions of the pad material to prevent noise (chamfered)
thanks for the info, went the website and saw the part numbers, but couldn't figure out how to view the prices and pay for them. Do u know the prices on the rotors and the pads? Or what store locally would have these?
Old 03-08-12, 05:37 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

thanks for the info, went the website and saw the part numbers, but couldn't figure out how to view the prices and pay for them. Do u know the prices on the rotors and the pads? Or what store locally would have these?
centric is the manufacturer.

You need to do your online shopping at

rockauto.com
partsgeek.com
or
tirerack.com

or stick in the manufacturer's part number into google's shopping tool and see what comes up.

You should also be aware that rotors are somewhat heavy since it is a hunk of metal. So the shipping policies at the online stores may vary a lot and can greatly affect your final price.
So be sure to compare final price with shipping, not just the parts price.
Old 03-08-12, 05:39 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray had great recomendations. Also do a "search" as far as finding them local and pricing goes. Its too broad of a question. Definitely do rotors with your pads.

How many miles are on the car that everything is original?
Old 03-08-12, 06:04 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls 400 upgrades involve calipers rotors and front rca's youre probably looking at about 400-600 dependending where u get them from. sometimes u may catch a deal on here on them.
Old 03-08-12, 07:37 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by LexiBlue
ls 400 upgrades involve calipers rotors and front rca's youre probably looking at about 400-600 dependending where u get them from. sometimes u may catch a deal on here on them.
k, not looking to paying that much, just want some good brakes, nothing crazy