GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please help me with OEM HID

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 08:51 AM
KP117
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me with OEM HID

Hi guys I am a LONG time lurker here. I am trying to install some OEM HID assemblies on a 2001 GS. After doing a lot of searching it looks like I will need to do the following:

1. Get a wire harness with relay for 9006 kits and plug into my stock harness

2. Get some 9006 male plug connectors and put them in place of the stock connectors on the OEM ballast

3. Plug/Soldier the other end of the wire harness into the modified OEM ballast.

If these are really the steps, can I just use some other type of ballast that will plug right into the 9006 wire harness/relay. Then i would not have to do any connecting of positive and negative wires? Am I totally of base? Is there any secure place to put a non-OEM ballast if it wont screw in place of where the OEM ballast goes?

Thanks for any advice guys it is MUCH appreciated.
Old 07-19-11, 10:29 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell me the hids.
lol
Old 07-19-11, 11:14 AM
KP117
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by starfyrels
sell me the hids.
lol
Lol wish I could man. You probably wont wanna buy. I bought the brand new housings for 570$. I don't have the OEM ballast or bulbs yet because I wanted to ask if it was even necessary

I'm trying to figure out why I cant just use a ballast that comes with those aftermarket kits along with a plug n play harness. The OEM ballast is crazy expensive.

So my plan is this:

OEM HID Headlight Housing
Aftermarket Ballast
Aftermarket Harness to connect Ballast to stock Harness
High Quality Phillips OEM Bulbs

Can this be done all with just plug and play and mounting the ballast somewhere? Mikal, if your out there please help.
Old 07-19-11, 11:25 AM
starfyrels

Not sure if this is the route you wish to take but you can get any HID kit that uses a 9006 bulb. Most of the kits out there come with the wiring so it's plug and play and you dont have to change wiring. You can get them as cheap as $25 with kelvin temp of your choice or as high as in the hundreds.

I personally have had good experience with xentec branded products, their retailers stand by their products and when I've had issues its been replaced without problem.

afaik the difference between the hid housing and non hid housings are the leveling sensors, difference in the way the reflectors send out the beam, and you also have a place to mount your ballast under the light.
Old 07-19-11, 11:30 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

You spent that much on headlights without doing a retro?
Old 07-19-11, 11:58 AM
KP117
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
You spent that much on headlights without doing a retro?
I know the retro would be the best thing, but I more of a simplistic person. I don't have the wherewithal to put my headlights in an oven, pull them a part, dremel/cut away at the insides to fit the projectors in there, put it back together and THEN add all the necessary wiring. That is just too much for me.

starfyrels: I want to get a complete and cheap aftermarket kit but I HATE riding around with blown bulbs even if its just for a day. I really don't want a re-based 9006 HID bulb. Can you tell or show me what the aftermarket HID's look like in your non-HID housing? I am really afraid of that cheap looking aftermarket shine/glare that i see on Civics/Subaru's with HID kits. You can tell they are not OEM and I don't want to attract the attention of the cops in any way. So I want to put them in a HID housing so it looks normal.
Old 07-19-11, 02:24 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats alot of money. i just bought a set off DDMTUNING.COM and aimed them down and called it a day.
Old 07-19-11, 04:57 PM
Sick03L
Driver

Unless u want water in your lights you will need to figure out a way to seal the hole where the old ballast set inside underneath with the rubber o ring and you will also need the back caps that seal up the rear of the housings. If u dont you will ruin a set of housing pretty quick.
Old 07-19-11, 08:00 PM
KP117
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sick03L
Unless u want water in your lights you will need to figure out a way to seal the hole where the old ballast set inside underneath with the rubber o ring and you will also need the back caps that seal up the rear of the housings. If u dont you will ruin a set of housing pretty quick.

Oh my, so with out the OEM ballast there is a big gaping hole on the bottom of the housing? Does that mean you have to unscrew the OEM ballast each time you want to change the bulb?

Also I thought the grayish back caps were a part of the assembly?
Old 07-20-11, 02:58 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Get a srt of Denso ballasts from ebay or similar. I bought mine for my Soarer when I did a retrofit and it plugged straight into the factory plugs and the D2S bulb fitting as well.
Old 07-20-11, 04:43 AM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

wow... i dont know whats going on with all these answers, but if you have a oem hid headlight assembly the only thing you have to do is goto the dealer and purchase the plug that goes on the body harness side, nothing else
Old 07-20-11, 06:29 AM
starfyrels

^He doesn't have OEM hid headlights, or else he would have the ballast (reading his first post you'd realize this) so he's trying to complete a set of hids with something aftermarket and albeit low cost because he's already spent $5xx.00 on brand new hid headlight housings.
Old 07-20-11, 08:34 AM
KP117
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sinistervr
wow... i dont know whats going on with all these answers, but if you have a oem hid headlight assembly the only thing you have to do is goto the dealer and purchase the plug that goes on the body harness side, nothing else
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm lucky there is a forum like this here for GS lovers. I had a crush on the GS since 93'

So sinistervr, are you saying that the 9006 plug (which going into the halogen bulbs) I have now on my factory harness can simply be replaced with a plug from the dealer and stuck into the OEM ballast? If this is the case then I may go this route because I dont think the aftermarket ballast will fit on the bottom of the housing where the OEM ballast would be. There will be a big hole

starfyrels: Yes all I have now is the housing. Even If i get OEM/Denso ballast, I still need a way to power them. Right now the power source I have in the car wont fit into a stock ballast.
Old 07-20-11, 09:36 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You can always get an aftermarket HID ballast and OEM D2R bulbs. Aftermarket HID ballasts use a 9006 style input which would literally plug into your OEM headlight wiring.

Our Xtreme HID ballasts are low draw meaning that you can safely power them directly from your OEM headlight wiring without causing any potential damage.

Steve
Old 07-20-11, 09:50 AM
starfyrels

^ good guys.

Quick Reply: Please help me with OEM HID