GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I hate my GS so bad...Please help me to keep it....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 06:33 AM
hmt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technically he only did the alignment 1 time (the first time)...That was done on 02/19 and printed out the before and after version....The second one he didn't do anything, jut printed the sheet again and told me that it's still in spec...

After the first time, i felt a little better, but it's prob. because of the new set of tires....

Originally Posted by 92sc300nj
wow i took a look at that alignment sheet. the first one was almost there to like the caster was a little off but not to much . now did it feel better with it that time versus the 2nd sheet you put up there.. cuz the second time.. he didnt do a caster sweep like the first time and yea the 2nd sheet its def not on correctly, me being a perfectionist wouldnt have let that go like that lol.
Old 07-21-11, 11:33 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get rid of the car if it is being a POS. One thing that is universal about these cars is that they are an absolute bore to drive. They are nice. But boring. Get something else. I sold my GS and have 0 regrets. It was a great car when I had it, but I knew that it was time to move on.
Old 07-21-11, 02:57 PM
fastryan
Driver

are those new michelins directional or non?
Old 07-22-11, 07:06 AM
hmt
Rookie

Put the new set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 in yesterday to replace the Conti....No change....I think the problem could be my truts and/or steering rack and pinion....

I checked sewellexus for strut and it's priced $267 for all 4 (2 front and 2 rears). Is that right? For some reason I thought they'd be much more expensive....

Does anyone know the part number for the steering rack and pinion? Or a link from sewellexus with this part? How much does that thing costs part and part?

I read on the big thread about change the steering rack bushing....wondering if that'd help my loose steering problem or not?????
Old 07-22-11, 07:08 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

The steering rack bushing kit will tighten up your steering. But if you do have a problem with your rack&pinion your problem will not be completely solved.

Make sure your rack&pinion is ok, then go for the bushing kit.
Old 07-22-11, 07:11 AM
hmt
Rookie

I don't have money to get the one I want ('07 Acura RL)...that's why I plan to keep it for now....

Originally Posted by McKrevice
Just get rid of the car if it is being a POS. One thing that is universal about these cars is that they are an absolute bore to drive. They are nice. But boring. Get something else. I sold my GS and have 0 regrets. It was a great car when I had it, but I knew that it was time to move on.
Old 07-22-11, 07:14 AM
hmt
Rookie

How do you know if it's ok or not? I had my mechanic checked it from the outside look and tightened everything and he said it looked good...Maybe the inside part that is messed up? My steering is not that loose so maybe the bushing kit will help.....

How much will that thing cost me?

Also will the looseness and/or strut cause the tire wear...I know the strut would, but not sure the looseness...

Originally Posted by YviE
The steering rack bushing kit will tighten up your steering. But if you do have a problem with your rack&pinion your problem will not be completely solved.

Make sure your rack&pinion is ok, then go for the bushing kit.
Old 07-22-11, 09:18 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

I woildwant the toe at zero, in your rear you have .09 on each side so total toe is
.18 that to me is too much. I always ask to have my toe at zero, I acually have to redo mine because one of the bolts is stuck andit was either negavite canned or really bad toe, I chose negatve camber because the car will still drive straight until I free up the adjustment bolt. I suggest you push to get your toe at zero first, chek your rear bushing and end link.
Good luck
Old 07-22-11, 12:18 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milellie11
I have owned others: 2000 Nissan Maxima and 2002 Acura TL. Neither of them gave me as many problems as this.

Also my coworker had a GS. He said it was full of problems. Got an E500 he's had for a couple of years and has not had one issue with it. He said all the knock that Benz gets, his E class has been way more reliable than his GS.
Yeah, I've owned a 1989 Acura Legend and 1996 Acura 2.5 TL, and those cars never really gave me a problem. Steering and acceleration feel was almost always perfect. I have a hard time sometimes with the GS.

But Lexus is always more sexy.
Old 07-22-11, 12:42 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Still having the same issue as hmt. At THIRD Lexus dealership right now trying to get it diagnosed right. All techs want to tell you when they drive it is "it feels pretty good to me". I seriously think they don't even know how the cars are really supposed to drive.

Frustrating. Car is a straight money pit.
Old 07-22-11, 12:43 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Finally someone on this forum who isn't a homer to just the Lexus brand.
Old 07-22-11, 04:06 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by milellie11
Finally someone on this forum who isn't a homer to just the Lexus brand.
I upgraded. I wanted something nice and fast. So far so good. No issues.

470 hp/520 foot pounds

Old 07-22-11, 07:23 PM
qgoat
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

470 hp/520 foot pounds

You just bought the next car on my list. Congrats! That car is a beast! What year is it?
Old 07-23-11, 08:37 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by qgoat
You just bought the next car on my list. Congrats! That car is a beast! What year is it?

This is the only car I have ever bought that I have had zero buyers remorse after purchasing.

It is a truly awesome car.
Old 07-23-11, 08:43 PM
DeanGS
Driver

470 hp/520 foot pounds

Nice car! Nice to see when people get what they want instead of just complaining all the time about what they have.

Quick Reply: I hate my GS so bad...Please help me to keep it....