GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I hate my GS so bad...Please help me to keep it....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 07:50 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't put too much blame on the GS design. I had OEM suspension for 2 yrs and my current setup for 2 yrs, as well as 16", 18", and currently 20" wheels. Handles like a dream with 115k miles and counting. Once you solve the problem, I bet you'd love the car. Troubleshooting any suspension problem like this can be a real puzzle sometimes though
Old 07-15-11, 07:51 AM
hmt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have scheduled to replace my 4 month old set of tires with a brand new Michelin MXM4 next week. If this doesn't fix my problem (as both my tech and Lexus says it's the tires), then I'll sell the car. Already thinking to get an Acura RL......Seeing how much money and parts milellie11 have been through, I just can't afford it....It's such a shame the car is in pristine condition both inside and out...the leather is like 10K miles on it (almost new)...I still can't believe I bought an 01 that is this new....

BTW I have a spare caster arms (01 GS430)...Great great condition with only 55K miles on it. If anyone want to buy it, PM me....

Does clublexus has a classified thread/page/forum where you can post WTS stuff?
Old 07-15-11, 09:29 AM
hmt
Rookie

Does anyone know if all this suspension problem fixed on the 3rd gen GS? Does 3rd gen have any flaw/problems?
Old 07-15-11, 12:18 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Sounds like this GS must have been involved in some type of collision....I have done daizen busings in front suspension and steering rack, ball joints, new tires, pretensioner adjustment and it almost handles like BMW!!! Love my 430 and will not trade it for anything else any time soon!
Old 07-19-11, 06:58 PM
92sc300nj
Driver

ok... i do a lot of alignments at my dealership.. if you have a "wandering" issue where if your on FLAT road (not the right lane or on a road with a lot of "road crown") your rear suspension controls that. more than likely your rear toe is out.. and the guy that did it.. didnt do it 100% dead on (like i like to do it) just got it with in spec but it can still cause a wandering. now if it pulls any certain direction its from the front. think about it a little bit.. it a car wanders its because the rear guides the car because those wheels dont turn. i have 18" on my car the accessory wheels from lexus and i did a nice alignment on it and got all the angles in spec and i have no more wandering or pulling sensation. if you were closer id say id do it for you so its perfect and you have no problem but ya also make sure its not just road crown (normally the right lane so water can run off the road) hope this helps.. PM me if you have more problems or if this helps ok.
Old 07-19-11, 06:59 PM
92sc300nj
Driver

Originally Posted by hmt
Does anyone know if all this suspension problem fixed on the 3rd gen GS? Does 3rd gen have any flaw/problems?
3rd gens are nicer to align but their suspension set up is different.. i think the nicest suspension design out there is the 04-09 RX platform. handles nice and is so forgiving
Old 07-19-11, 07:01 PM
92sc300nj
Driver

Originally Posted by hmt
I have scheduled to replace my 4 month old set of tires with a brand new Michelin MXM4 next week. If this doesn't fix my problem (as both my tech and Lexus says it's the tires), then I'll sell the car. Already thinking to get an Acura RL......Seeing how much money and parts milellie11 have been through, I just can't afford it....It's such a shame the car is in pristine condition both inside and out...the leather is like 10K miles on it (almost new)...I still can't believe I bought an 01 that is this new....

BTW I have a spare caster arms (01 GS430)...Great great condition with only 55K miles on it. If anyone want to buy it, PM me....

Does clublexus has a classified thread/page/forum where you can post WTS stuff?
dude dont sell the car.. hopefully they car hasnt been in an accident but almost certain its alignment.. i really wish i could fix it for you.
Old 07-20-11, 06:53 AM
hmt
Rookie

Originally Posted by 92sc300nj
ok... i do a lot of alignments at my dealership.. if you have a "wandering" issue where if your on FLAT road (not the right lane or on a road with a lot of "road crown") your rear suspension controls that. more than likely your rear toe is out.. and the guy that did it.. didnt do it 100% dead on (like i like to do it) just got it with in spec but it can still cause a wandering. now if it pulls any certain direction its from the front. think about it a little bit.. it a car wanders its because the rear guides the car because those wheels dont turn. i have 18" on my car the accessory wheels from lexus and i did a nice alignment on it and got all the angles in spec and i have no more wandering or pulling sensation. if you were closer id say id do it for you so its perfect and you have no problem but ya also make sure its not just road crown (normally the right lane so water can run off the road) hope this helps.. PM me if you have more problems or if this helps ok.
I know the road crown you're talking about. It's not that. It wanders all over...even the opposite of the crown where the water runs off...so it's not the road crown that causing that....Have you looked the alignment sheets I posted earlier (post # 18)? Can you look and let me know if those numbers in spec? Those are the 2 times I had it aligned. The second time and the 3rd time, they didn't do anything b/c they said it's still in spec. I wish I am close to you and definitely have you take a look at the car...

Originally Posted by 92sc300nj
dude dont sell the car.. hopefully they car hasnt been in an accident but almost certain its alignment.. i really wish i could fix it for you.
As far as I know the car hasn't been involved in accident. Of course I said that only from the carfax report when I bought the car...I, myself, never have accident on this car since I've had it...

I never wanted to sell it but it's so frustrated every time I have to drive it...I already test drove an RL last week and to be honest I wasn't impressed at all...so i really want to keep the car.....

Last edited by hmt; 07-20-11 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 10:22 AM
hmt
Rookie

I just test drove another old GS 300 and the drive was much better. The wheel seemed tighter. I think the reason for the wander is loose steering wheel. His is much tighter and didn't go crazy over bumps when driving slow....I've read and lots of people mentioning about L-tuned ECU, but those was old threads that applied to 1st gen GS. Does anyone have L-Tuned steering ECU installed on their 2nd GS? Does your steering wheel has lot of play and loose?

What could cause this loose on the steering wheel?

Terms that I seen been thrown out when I search for this steering loose is steering pre-tensioner, steering shalf's knuckle, L-tuned steering ECU....

would sway bars (end links, bushing) cause this loose?

Sorry I don't know much about car part, so please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks
Old 07-20-11, 10:49 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hmt
I just test drove another old GS 300 and the drive was much better. The wheel seemed tighter. I think the reason for the wander is loose steering wheel. His is much tighter and didn't go crazy over bumps when driving slow....I've read and lots of people mentioning about L-tuned ECU, but those was old threads that applied to 1st gen GS. Does anyone have L-Tuned steering ECU installed on their 2nd GS? Does your steering wheel has lot of play and loose?

What could cause this loose on the steering wheel?

Terms that I seen been thrown out when I search for this steering loose is steering pre-tensioner, steering shalf's knuckle, L-tuned steering ECU....

would sway bars (end links, bushing) cause this loose?

Sorry I don't know much about car part, so please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks
The l-tuned steering ECU doesn't apply to your 01' GS430. It's already got the revised steering ECU as they made it standard in 01'.

If you want to tighten the pre-tensioner, just look up the DIY for it in our big sticky thread of DIY's. I did it to my 01' 430 and the steering is a good bit tighter, just barely coming back to center by itself after I make a turn. Where at in NC are ya? I'd be happy to help out if you're nearby.
Old 07-20-11, 11:44 AM
hmt
Rookie

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
The l-tuned steering ECU doesn't apply to your 01' GS430. It's already got the revised steering ECU as they made it standard in 01'.

If you want to tighten the pre-tensioner, just look up the DIY for it in our big sticky thread of DIY's. I did it to my 01' 430 and the steering is a good bit tighter, just barely coming back to center by itself after I make a turn. Where at in NC are ya? I'd be happy to help out if you're nearby.
Greensboro
Old 07-20-11, 12:42 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you wouldn't happen to have pictures of the tire wear that you could post do you? this might help us diagnose it better for you.

by the way, are your struts on your car still good? mine wore out at about 60k and i was getting premature tire wear, sorta like cupping/fish scaling wear.
Old 07-20-11, 01:30 PM
fastryan
Driver

directional tires? my car worked great with non directional tires, then i got a set of "performance" directional tires and it wanders all over the place. im often afraid that at night i look like a drunk driver. also- sometimes dealers will align a car but then the steering wheel is crooked. everyone would complain about that so they trick us. get all the numbers good, print out the results, then crank everything back to make the steering wheel straight again. i worked at a stealership for years....saw it happen all the time.
Old 07-20-11, 02:08 PM
hmt
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
you wouldn't happen to have pictures of the tire wear that you could post do you? this might help us diagnose it better for you.

by the way, are your struts on your car still good? mine wore out at about 60k and i was getting premature tire wear, sorta like cupping/fish scaling wear.
Can't even see by eyes, but you can feel it when you rub it...What look cupping like anyway? does this car have shock or struts?

Originally Posted by fastryan
directional tires? my car worked great with non directional tires, then i got a set of "performance" directional tires and it wanders all over the place. im often afraid that at night i look like a drunk driver. also- sometimes dealers will align a car but then the steering wheel is crooked. everyone would complain about that so they trick us. get all the numbers good, print out the results, then crank everything back to make the steering wheel straight again. i worked at a stealership for years....saw it happen all the time.
I have the Conti Extreme DWS. Think it's directional. Will have them replaced by Michilen MXM4 tomorrow...
Old 07-20-11, 02:42 PM
92sc300nj
Driver

wow i took a look at that alignment sheet. the first one was almost there to like the caster was a little off but not to much . now did it feel better with it that time versus the 2nd sheet you put up there.. cuz the second time.. he didnt do a caster sweep like the first time and yea the 2nd sheet its def not on correctly, me being a perfectionist wouldnt have let that go like that lol.

Quick Reply: I hate my GS so bad...Please help me to keep it....