GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering wheel & Braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 10:33 PM
kmy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel & Braking issue

2000 GS400 w/115k miles

Just pick this GS few weeks ago. Bought it knowing it had these issues so its not something that just happened.

STEERING WHEEL ISSUE:
When I'm doing hwy speeds my steering wheel is not stable. I believe it does need wheel balancing but the steering wheel doesn't shake. Only a tiny bit to notice that it "may" need balancing. Its just unstable. What do I mean? Its like the difference in driving on SOLID ROAD SURFACE vs DIRT ROAD. You know when you're driving on a dirt road your steering wheel is not stable as you're on a flat solid road. That's how my steering wheel feels on the hwy. What could it be? wheel balancing? Alignment is decently great. Only slightly pulls left. I know how a car that needs wheel balancing & needs alignment drive like and this is not really like that. Steering wheel is still responsive. Tires are like new. shocks are a little worn but no clunks. Me alone in the car at hwy speed does not wiggle the car during bumps. I've driven two GS300's b4 buying this one and the other two's steering is smooth, solid, & stable at any speed.

BRAKING ISSUE:
Every time I slow down to a stop or turn(under 20mph) there's always this little winning/grinding sound. Dealer told me the brakes were recently done(pads+rotors). Does look decent too. The winning/grinding sound is similar to when your bearings are about to go bye bye and also similar to the sound of when your brake pads are out and the metal plate is grinding on the rotor. Sounds like that but only not that loud. Also, my rotors are warp a bit. I'm replacing rotors soon but still trying to figure out why/what is making that sound. Even when I apply brake then hear the sound, led of the brake pedal, still hear that sound. Its not loud but its noticeable. I've been in a friends 95 integra with bad front bearings and it sounds pretty similar. Just not that loud. Can't hear it when speeds above 20mph. Both front rotors have normal smooth wear. One or both(i forgot) rear rotors does have streaky wear. Could it be my brake pads sticky causing it to kept apply pressure to the rotor to cause that sound or something? I don't feel any decrease in speed at all though. What could it be? what should I check?
(Just like the first issue the other two GS300 i test drove doesn't have this issue. I bought this one bc its V8 & got some nice aftermarket goodies that I can never afford if bought separately)

Please refer to which issue if answering, thanks.
Old 07-10-11, 07:09 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the steering wheel issue I would rotate the front tires to the rear but 1 at a time then road test after each one to see if one or the other is unbalanced. See if anything changes. Check air pressure in all. For the brakes, while the wheels are in the air spin each to see if you can hear any noise. Spin the rotors with the wheels off also. If they are too loose when you spin the rotors, put a lug nut on them. Examine the various brake parts when the wheels are off. See if the inner and outer pads are wearing evenly. See if anything is loose while the car is in the air.
Old 07-10-11, 08:52 PM
kmy
Driver

Whats the appropriate tire rotation on my 00 GS400?
Old 07-11-11, 08:27 AM
rstreidl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bent rim on my GS4 that caused the steering wheel to wobble like what you're describing. I would rotate front to rear and see if it goes away, maybe do one side at a time to isoloate. Might be a good idea to check tire balancing as well.
Old 07-11-11, 10:20 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car is new to you? Get an alignment.
Old 07-11-11, 05:22 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends if the tires are uni-directional. Right now you are just trying to see if an unbalanced tire is your problem so just do front to back and back to front on the same side.
Old 07-12-11, 10:25 PM
kmy
Driver

Just checked today. My tire pressure is INSANE(cold pressure). Front tires are 40psi, driver side rear is about 38/39 psi...and pass. side rear is like 37psi. Adjusted all to 33psi(according to manual). Car drives a little more stable now. After adjusting tire pressure I can feel the smoothness of hwy driving. Since I can feel it more I do need an alignment. Its pulling a little harder to the left now that I adjust all tire pressure. I'm sure an alignment + wheel balance will do great but I guess not any time soon bc I'm planning to get snow tires in oct. so not sure if I'd want to spend money on that yet. Its driving great now. I can live with that until oct.
Old 07-13-11, 10:43 AM
hkvan
Driver School Candidate

Could be inferior brake pads.
Old 07-13-11, 11:55 AM
HtownGS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tire pressure variance that low would most likely not cause an issue like what you are describing.
Need to check the condition of the struts as well. When I first got my GS400 the struts had leaks and lost their ability to dampen properly (normal with age/milage). I noticed on the freeway especially, the car seemed very unstable. I would consider some after market struts or new stocks (unless the struts are new). I went with the TEIN Flex. They are a bit rough and loud. Could try the TEIN CS. Struts, tires, and don't forget all of your suspension/steering linkage. If any of those components are worn, you will have issues like this.
And YES get the alignment done!!! Better safe than sorry.

Brake noise: Check obviously the condition of the pads and rotors. Also, I have seen things (rocks, wood chips, ect...) get stuck between the backing plate and the rotor, causing a grinding/pinging noise. Just something to consider. Also, when does it do it?? All the time or when you first start driving?
FYI: I would use the best brake rotors and pads you can find when you go to do the rotors. Using the cheap rotors will just give you a headache. They are made with cheaper medals and will warp fast.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 07-13-11, 10:48 PM
kmy
Driver

Car will need struts soon. No more then I'd say a yr & half from now. Me alone in the car will drive and handle fine at hwy speeds. 3 adult and a child in the car at hwy speed over bumps/dips will wiggle the car, especially the rear.

I've tried searching for replacement struts and only got Gabriel/Monroe. Otherwise coilover kits. I dont want to upgrade my suspension. I like it smooth and stock. Best I've found is KYB GR2's on ebay. Wish there is Tokico HP/KYB AGX. I lov'm. Any stock replacement brands out there?

My rear rotors does have lines on it like something may be stuck on the pads. I'll take off the wheel and check. The fronts are perfect & smooth.
Old 07-14-11, 12:20 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

makes a grinding noise when turning could be caused by a bad wheel bearing.
Old 07-20-11, 09:02 PM
kmy
Driver

^...it makes the noise when I slow down from around 30mph. During straight & turn. I believe it may have something to do with my tires too. Bad wear maybe(looks even though). Tires does look like 90%+ new but alignment is slightly off and strut is slightly worn. So I guess its not worth an alignment yet. Not until i get my new struts or tires on.

Something new I wanted to add. The oem spec 17" tires is 235/45/17...the tires on my car right now is 225/50/17. Smaller width & bigger circumference tire? could that be another sign of my noise when slowing down and especially unstable steering wheel at hwy speed?

(geez, i wish they let me test drive for a week b4 I buy the car...but i love the car)
Old 07-21-11, 07:35 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

You can buy new OEM struts off of Sewell. $276 for all four.