GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need a new Air Filter

Old 07-04-11, 09:28 PM
kmy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a new Air Filter

well, not me but my car does. Just took a peak today and eww. Its my first time owning a Lexus and with all the electronics/gadgets Lexus has I want the best for my car - long lasting & reliability. So I'm thinking about a drop-in K&N Air Filter but worry about the oil they use on the filter. Its not like a Honda where you can buy a $20 ebay intake and not worry about CEL lights. So will that be safe in the long run on my intake sensor? I mean, i know I could clean the sensor with a parts cleaner but just a caution Q that came in my mind. Car is daily drive/commute. No racing(spirited driving excluded).

I'd like to stay oem replacement filters. K&N good? what other brands are recommended?

My Car - 2000 GS400.
Old 07-04-11, 09:32 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can go HKS. It's really expensive, but I hear they're nice.

I wouldn't dare go K&N, but then again I don't want to have to clean my sensor all the time because the filter is oily. Not my style, but hey if you want it then go with it.

IMO though..

-: OEM Regular
-: HKS (Don't believe they use oil, don't know though)
Old 07-04-11, 10:20 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

FYI to everyone who have not seen the test. Obviously take this with a grain of salt. These are performance filters for the 2jzgte motor of supras.

Good info IMO
Old 07-04-11, 10:23 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3

I wouldn't dare go K&N, but then again I don't want to have to clean my sensor all the time because the filter is oily. Not my style, but hey if you want it then go with it.

IMO though..

though our cars dont use the HKS shroom filter.. ive seen one in person on my friends Turbo S2000... you can see that filtration SUCKS MONKEY peanuts... after looking through it at a light u can CLEARLY see passages ways that show light. imagine dust particles
Old 07-04-11, 10:44 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO though..

LOL...how much oil do you put on your filter for it to suck all the way to the sensor?
Old 07-05-11, 09:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
LOL...how much oil do you put on your filter for it to suck all the way to the sensor?
no kidding,daniel, you ever actually used the k&n? i have had a k&n on my gs430 almost since i bought it (november of 2007) till i finally replaced it for the SRT last month. NEVER had a issue with oil on my MAF but i also didnt over oil it....the ONLY people who have issues with k&n have over oiled their filters,so many people on this forum spread propaganda about the k&n filter and most havent EVER used them or used them properly
Old 07-05-11, 09:46 AM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have a K&N drop in air filter after I clean the filter and spray the oil I let it sit for 24hrs before putting it back in the car.
Old 07-05-11, 12:46 PM
kmy
Driver

HKS & K&N cost about the same on Ebay. I wouldn't mind which one. Just trying to figure which is a "little" better.
Old 07-05-11, 01:10 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i got an extra K&N for sale if u want. lmk
Old 07-05-11, 06:08 PM
LexFather

I've been happy with all my K&Ns...
Old 07-05-11, 06:39 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip K&N. Good marketing. But they are garbage. They flow more than stock. But they let more grit and crap in. They are hard on MAF's and piston rings. Not worth it. Just stick with OEM or a Napa Gold which is Wix, one of the best brands out there.

It's just not worth it to run these filters on these cars. The tiny bit of horsepower and added noise just isn't worth it.
Old 07-06-11, 11:21 PM
kmy
Driver

I've got K&N's before and love them...maybe this time I'll try Apexi.
Old 07-07-11, 05:08 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Originally Posted by sakataj
no kidding,daniel, you ever actually used the k&n? i have had a k&n on my gs430 almost since i bought it (november of 2007) till i finally replaced it for the SRT last month. NEVER had a issue with oil on my MAF but i also didnt over oil it....the ONLY people who have issues with k&n have over oiled their filters,so many people on this forum spread propaganda about the k&n filter and most havent EVER used them or used them properly
Whoa whoa whoa slow it down you two.

I have NEVER used a K&N Filter, but I have heard that it CAN mess with the MAF and all that stuff, so that's why I stay away from it. I was just saying what I had heard about it, but I have never actually used one. I just stick OEM regular, lol.

Originally Posted by McKrevice
Skip K&N. Good marketing. But they are garbage. They flow more than stock. But they let more grit and crap in. They are hard on MAF's and piston rings. Not worth it. Just stick with OEM or a Napa Gold which is Wix, one of the best brands out there.

It's just not worth it to run these filters on these cars. The tiny bit of horsepower and added noise just isn't worth it.
^ This is what i've read about them, hence my first post about K&N.
Old 07-07-11, 12:55 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa slow it down you two.

I have NEVER used a K&N Filter, but I have heard that it CAN mess with the MAF and all that stuff, so that's why I stay away from it. I was just saying what I had heard about it, but I have never actually used one. I just stick OEM regular, lol.
then why comment on it daniel if you have no first hand experience? its just the same stuff people spew on here all the time....people bash the k&n ALL the time about the CEL's it causes and what not. well in 3 years i had NOT ONE CEL FROM THIS, not one single one. i never over oiled my filter and had no issues, i would still be running my k&n if i didnt just install my SRT intake.

^ This is what i've read about them, hence my first post about K&N.
....till he posts some actual proof showing this, its still propaganda to bash them. i have seen any more bashing on this board then what people try and do to K&N....no BTW we all know im not affiliated with them
Old 07-07-11, 02:51 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
then why comment on it daniel if you have no first hand experience? its just the same stuff people spew on here all the time....people bash the k&n ALL the time about the CEL's it causes and what not. well in 3 years i had NOT ONE CEL FROM THIS, not one single one. i never over oiled my filter and had no issues, i would still be running my k&n if i didnt just install my SRT intake.

....till he posts some actual proof showing this, its still propaganda to bash them. i have seen any more bashing on this board then what people try and do to K&N....no BTW we all know im not affiliated with them
My fault then, Brian. I wasn't trying to bash the K&N at all. Personally I think that they are one of the top companies to mess with when it comes to aftermarket parts. I was just merely stating what I had 'heard' is all. Not trying to say that K&N parts are trash, because they're not, I would recommend them to people no problem. Was just merely stating what I know is all.

I never even knew that people had CEL problems with the filter. The only reason why I do not run the filter is because I know if overly-oiled it can mess with the MAF and PERSONALLY I do not want to have to clean the MAF and all that due to the filter, because I know it could be possible to put a little to much oil into the filter. That's all.

Wasn't trying to bash their products.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need a new Air Filter