GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2GS MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the 2Gen GS forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 05:09 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I hereby nominate myself as assistant moderator in the 2gs section!!!
Old 07-13-11, 08:30 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by luv4dsc
I'm trying to be more active on the board. Been a member for over a year but have less than 10 posts. Great place to find answers but I'm trying to give some back.
what part of TN u in?

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I hereby nominate myself as assistant moderator in the 2gs section!!!
nay, lol..... you not even active enough rock
Old 07-13-11, 12:04 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I took a break from this forum for these very reasons. Glad to see this issue is being addressed.
Old 07-13-11, 01:12 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Debonair
I took a break from this forum for these very reasons. Glad to see this issue is being addressed.
welcome back abel
Old 07-13-11, 07:19 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
what part of TN u in?

nay, lol..... you not even active enough rock
Lol...i would be more active if I needed to but...keep in mind moderators dont always post the most. They don't need to, they are moderators who oversee their specific area, make sure everyone is playing nice, ensure everyone plys by the rules and contributes to specific threads when they can. It doesn't mean they HAVE TO be the most knowledgable or post the most...i feel it takes a good balance of all. Which, all joking aside I think I am pretty good as far as ethics go, helping those in need and general contribution to ClubLexus. In short, I think I would do a pretty good job!
Old 07-14-11, 07:54 AM
EvospecD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well said, often senior members are quick to bash a new question, forgetting they are a wealth of information to the new owners or will be owners of these beautiful cars!
Old 07-14-11, 09:34 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EvospecD
Very well said, often senior members are quick to bash a new question, forgetting they are a wealth of information to the new owners or will be owners of these beautiful cars!
Thank you and...agreed!
Old 07-14-11, 06:50 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by EvospecD
Having owned multiple GSs since 2000 please understand senior members can become old agitated seniors sometimes. Not exempting the behavior but please understand one's frustration sometimes.

A few of us came here b/c of the 2GS, the 2GS was the life of this forum for so long. 11 years have passed since we moved here to this present format. Think about that. 11 years. That is 1/3 of my life, here on Clublexus as a volunteer for the "community". A lot of O.Gs moved on, it is up to the new generation to uphold that high standard and that torch. I got it from guys like Qbranchcars, Mean Gene, Manaray and they passed the torch and I did my part in the 2GS forum for years. While the 2GS is not sold, I've moved on to the 3GS and don't visit as often. I am hoping & betting that the next 2GS generation continues the legacy left by us now.

Don't expect most O.Gs to be here forever, not going to happen. You have to step up and become an O.G and pass your torch on. Kudos to those that carry it on with a minimal of thanks. They do it to do it.

I just moved a thread with the title "Brake" into the "Brake" forum for example. Sure some of me wants to go Rambo but I know we have a responsibility here as well.

Please do your part, put threads in the right place, alert posts if you see an issue and just have some common courtesy to do what is right because it is right.

The 2GS will always have a special place in my heart out of all the Lexus I have and will own. I've done it all in that car and it wasn't the first Lexus I modded but the first that I learned how to properly mod and learned from the great members here. I was a 21/22 year old GS newb! The 2GS saved my life and I rewarded her by adopting another 2GS.

Keep the torch going.

Mike

Last edited by LexFather; 07-14-11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 07:51 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Oh, Mike.
Old 07-16-11, 10:30 AM
delos
Driver School Candidate

Excellent post. I am apart of other forums that are very immature and don't like how the forums are not policed. I saw the 2GS Forum heading in that direction. I am happy to see you guys are taking this serious and handling this. Keep this forum the way it has always been .... THE BEST!
Old 07-18-11, 08:43 AM
classique
Driver School Candidate

Hoping that the point of this post/message gets across to all members so that everyone can enjoy this forum since it's obvious that everyone already shares one thing in common: WE are LEXUS (2GS) enthusiasts!!!
Old 07-20-11, 08:39 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I mostly lurk now because of the attitude of some of the newer owners of lexus who post on CL. Glad Dave posted the ABC's to revive the 2GS subforum
Old 07-21-11, 03:19 AM
Angelgs300
Driver School Candidate

Great post... I'm new here, but am definitely going to be sticking around.
Old 07-22-11, 12:42 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I've been floating around here close to 10 years now, and I'll have to politely disagree with those that are suggesting to offer solutions to help people search, and that it doesn't take much time to help people with a short writeup. The problem is that it actually DOES take a lot of time, when you sum up all the time spend replying to the many requests. Furthermore, and more importantly, time has been taken over the years, especially in the 2GS forum, to write up complete descriptive solutions to just about everything that might be encountered, for every major subsystem. So just jumping in and asking a question that could be answered very completely by doing a 10 millisecond search isn't productive for ANYBODY, including the requester. The requester learns a lot more by actually searching and finding groups of posts and responses dealing with the exact topic, and the responder or moderator is not burdened with the task of having to write up the same exact information that was written up possibly hundreds of times before, and often it's tough to remember the exact complete information that was already written down.
What I suggest to people is, spend 30 minutes of your time searching and looking through related posts and learning. If you can't get the answers at that point, anyone would be insane not to help you further. Explain that you have already searched, and did not find what you were looking for. The burden is on the requester to do a bit of legwork and also be clear in explaining what is needed.

My $0.02. BTW, I just jumped on here because my GS is choking and stalling now, prob a MAF sensor or oxygen sensor problem. Being sure that I'm not the first one with this problem, I will search to see what everyone else has done. If info is not sufficient, I will post.
Old 07-25-11, 03:09 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Well, I've been floating around here close to 10 years now, and I'll have to politely disagree with those that are suggesting to offer solutions to help people search, and that it doesn't take much time to help people with a short writeup. The problem is that it actually DOES take a lot of time, when you sum up all the time spend replying to the many requests. Furthermore, and more importantly, time has been taken over the years, especially in the 2GS forum, to write up complete descriptive solutions to just about everything that might be encountered, for every major subsystem. So just jumping in and asking a question that could be answered very completely by doing a 10 millisecond search isn't productive for ANYBODY, including the requester. The requester learns a lot more by actually searching and finding groups of posts and responses dealing with the exact topic, and the responder or moderator is not burdened with the task of having to write up the same exact information that was written up possibly hundreds of times before, and often it's tough to remember the exact complete information that was already written down.
What I suggest to people is, spend 30 minutes of your time searching and looking through related posts and learning. If you can't get the answers at that point, anyone would be insane not to help you further. Explain that you have already searched, and did not find what you were looking for. The burden is on the requester to do a bit of legwork and also be clear in explaining what is needed.
great post describes how i feel most of the time

Last edited by sakataj; 07-26-11 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: 2GS MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the 2Gen GS forum