GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help with telescopic wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 11:23 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Mine officialy crapped out this morning, now will this make it dead quiet like on the newer models telescoping wheel? Or will u still hear that whining while it moves...

You will hear motor operating, but it will not be whiny or sounds of strain.
Old 07-30-13, 11:26 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mrmartin
What type of grese do I need to replace it with. Not sure if aging made the grease yellow or if it's the natural color. I hope a car parts store has it.

White lithium grease by chance?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=10463_0_0_
Yes, thats what I used. Only grease the moving parts and copper contact points.
Old 07-30-13, 06:11 PM
Mrmartin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that mess is done. Cleaned everything so I hope my squeaking goes away. At Least everything has fresh lube, knowing me I probably forgot to lube something. I put grease on every worm gear I could find around the steering column.
Old 07-30-13, 06:29 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Wtf ! I just did everything right, tested it and it was working went to tighten the screws and went to try it again and nothing! I can't even get the motor out its stuck!? FML I'm screwed
Back it out with the joystick, it should unscrew right out.
Old 07-30-13, 07:02 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Alright I got it out and its hot as hell, I think I didn't grease something, do I grease the copper plugs on the bottom or the 2 square contact points in the middle that press in?

Last edited by DosyBoy; 07-31-13 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 07:16 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Don't grease the wires that are bundled and twisted. Grease the copper contacts on the little white plastic thing, if you put the white plastic thing over the shaft, grease the shaft part where it meets the white plastic part. Make sure all the black stuff is all gone. Lube it up good!
Old 07-30-13, 08:12 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Its working but its jittery.....
Old 07-31-13, 08:25 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Tore everything back out here at work cleaned it again, works like a champ THANK U!!!
Old 07-31-13, 10:50 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Tore everything back out here at work cleaned it again, works like a champ THANK U!!!
No pics??? You suck lol!! What did you use to clean it out good? Compressed air?
Old 07-31-13, 01:14 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine started acting up this spring. Telescoping function barely/rarely works and sometimes it doesn't go all the way down when I put the key in, but will go the rest of the way down with the joystick.

I tried this cleaning last night with no change, (other than it being quieter) the big brush part in the telescoping motor looked like it'd been gashed or sliced in multiple places, looks like I need a new motor. Would this cause the up/down function to act up as well or might I have another problem?
Old 07-31-13, 03:03 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Mine started acting up this spring. Telescoping function barely/rarely works and sometimes it doesn't go all the way down when I put the key in, but will go the rest of the way down with the joystick.

I tried this cleaning last night with no change, (other than it being quieter) the big brush part in the telescoping motor looked like it'd been gashed or sliced in multiple places, looks like I need a new motor. Would this cause the up/down function to act up as well or might I have another problem?
If its going down quieter then it's working. It sounds like you have the height/direction of the steering wheel set to a setting that is not right for you, hence why you have to manually use the joystick to make it go down. Try this, get the steering wheel exactly where you want it, then on the driver door HOLD DOWN "SET" WHILE PRESSING DRIVER 1 until it beeps. Take out the key and see if it saved the steering/direction to your driver 1 setting. This should fix the issue of not going all the way down when the key enters the ignition.

Last edited by wbmx1981; 07-31-13 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-31-13, 09:12 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
If its going down quieter then it's working. It sounds like you have the height/direction of the steering wheel set to a setting that is not right for you, hence why you have to manually use the joystick to make it go down. Try this, get the steering wheel exactly where you want it, then on the driver door HOLD DOWN "SET" WHILE PRESSING DRIVER 1 until it beeps. Take out the key and see if it saved the steering/direction to your driver 1 setting. This should fix the issue of not going all the way down when the key enters the ignition.
Thanks for the input, I have tried this though. I've had the car for 5 years and it's always returned to where I set it until once this spring when I started the car while the steering wheel was still moving (not the first time I've done that) and it stopped and hasn't worked properly since. The telescoping motor clicks when I hit the joystick and has obvious damage so I know the motor is bad, just hoping the two motors work in conjunction so replacing them will fix it completely as opposed to having some kind of control glitch as well.
Old 07-31-13, 09:41 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
No pics??? You suck lol!! What did you use to clean it out good? Compressed air?
I went downstairs at work and disconnected the co2 tank going to the pop machine! Lmfaoooo honestly I think the trick was I wiped ALOT of the new grease off the long gear this time and it worked...
Old 09-03-13, 12:23 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question, the column in my 98 gs400 works ok, seems a bit slow but has since I got the car back on 2004. The car only has 96000 miles on it and had 60000 when I bought it. My question is that occasionally in this time of year when it gets hot around here (100 plus pretty regularly for the last couple months and the cumin makes a loud screeching noise like it is in pain when I shut the car off. Does not happen every time and have not paid enough attention to what exactly the conditions are, just does it in the peak of heat season. Would this cleaning and re greasing stuff help or does other stuff in the column possibly need to be deal with? I just have ignored it since it happens occasionally and as you can tell by the mileage I don't drive it much.
Old 09-03-13, 12:40 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by EFMJR
I have a question, the column in my 98 gs400 works ok, seems a bit slow but has since I got the car back on 2004. The car only has 96000 miles on it and had 60000 when I bought it. My question is that occasionally in this time of year when it gets hot around here (100 plus pretty regularly for the last couple months and the cumin makes a loud screeching noise like it is in pain when I shut the car off. Does not happen every time and have not paid enough attention to what exactly the conditions are, just does it in the peak of heat season. Would this cleaning and re greasing stuff help or does other stuff in the column possibly need to be deal with? I just have ignored it since it happens occasionally and as you can tell by the mileage I don't drive it much.
Do the DIY from this thread and it will fix that. Sounds like the original grease is contaminated and there is build inside the motor. The filth and carbon are causing the motor to strain, grind, and make noises.

Quick Reply: Need help with telescopic wheel