GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-02, 08:21 AM
Spartan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Bumper

Well...
Many of you know the problem I had when I took my car out to the track. The conditions were extremely hot and the exhaust tips were even hotter, thus melting the rear valence around the tips. You cant really tell, but it is there. If you look closely you can see it.
My question is....can this hole in the valence be repeaired economically?
Or should I just get a new rear bumper? (A different aftermarket one)
I just wanted to hear what some members had to say. I am leaning towards getting it repaired becuase I dont know if I can just get an aftermarket rear valance and not get the side skirts and front part. It might not look so hot.
Any opinions welcome.
Thanks
MIKE
Old 09-10-02, 08:55 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of this happening. Is one of your mods an exhaust? Maybe you could either change the hangers, or have an exhaust shop change the angle of the tips to move the tips further from the valance. Since the exhaust openings aren't "right there in your face" visible, you could probably get it fixed and they might only have to repaint the recessed area at the bottom of the bumper. These are just guesses without seeing the damage. Maybe you could post some pix.
Old 09-10-02, 10:53 AM
Spartan
Driver

Default Borlas...

Originally posted by mumbles
Wow, this is the first time I've heard of this happening. Is one of your mods an exhaust? Maybe you could either change the hangers, or have an exhaust shop change the angle of the tips to move the tips further from the valance. Since the exhaust openings aren't "right there in your face" visible, you could probably get it fixed and they might only have to repaint the recessed area at the bottom of the bumper. These are just guesses without seeing the damage. Maybe you could post some pix.
Mumbles....Borlas are on there right now.
Really cant change the angle....They fill out the opening nicely....too nicely. I will try and post some pics this week. I have to get them scanned.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-10-02, 03:46 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Yes thats happen to a couple of Borla owners. Most of them just use some kind of heat insulation between the bumper and tip! Ask Lexciting!!!!!
Old 09-10-02, 04:01 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i recently bought borla's tips .. is it safe to put 'em on? or my bumper will melt as well?
Old 09-10-02, 06:30 PM
TRDGS3
Driver

I had the same problem with my...yawn-Honda-yawn...the problem that I had was the bumper was to close to the exhust...thus it melted the bumper on the tip of the exhust...i was pissed do to the fact that i had a custom paint job...what we decided to do was put a metal peice between the exhust and the bumper...stoped the melting of the bumper...just a little idea for ya to think about....

Kris
Old 09-10-02, 07:11 PM
Spartan
Driver

Default Metal??

Originally posted by TRDGS3
I had the same problem with my...yawn-Honda-yawn...the problem that I had was the bumper was to close to the exhust...thus it melted the bumper on the tip of the exhust...i was pissed do to the fact that i had a custom paint job...what we decided to do was put a metal peice between the exhust and the bumper...stoped the melting of the bumper...just a little idea for ya to think about....

Kris
Wouldn't a piece of metal just conduct the heat to the bumper anyway?
I dont understand....could you post a picture?

What sort of heat resistant materials are out there that would work and look good?? Lexciting anything?

Alexus....It is safe to put the tips on your car....I was out on a 100 degree day running the car hard on the track. I dont think I will run into too many more days like that. The borlas shifted a lot do to body flex and eventually touched and melted my valence.

Thanks
MIKE
Old 09-10-02, 07:54 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Metal??

Originally posted by Spartan

Wouldn't a piece of metal just conduct the heat to the bumper anyway?
I dont understand....could you post a picture?
that is an odd suggestion at first, but you could tweak it to work. first off, the metal piece could cover the entire inside or sides of the valance opening, so it would distribute the heat over a large area. or the metal piece could cover that and extend as far back as you like to really move the heat around.

a picture would be worth a 1000 words here. heck, it might even look good!
Old 09-11-02, 12:05 PM
Spartan
Driver

Default Here are the damage pictures

This should help a lot.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Bumper-exhaust.jpg  
Old 09-11-02, 12:34 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like the exhaust physically moved and touched that one side.

I'd call Borla and give them hell.

Good luck.

Ryan
Old 09-11-02, 01:31 PM
Spartan
Driver

Default It did move....

The exhaust did move...
The exhaust has some bar stock which has a rubber end that is connected to a hanger on the frame. All cars have this type of setup as far as I am aware. The exhaust has to have some give to it to allow for flex in the system. This will prevent any metal from stressing or cracking.
Old 09-11-02, 06:01 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Yup, I got the same exact thing happen to me. I ended up buying another bumper anyway, but this time I will make a bracket for the muffler so it won't move, and maybe get some black heat resistant tape to protect the bumper.