GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What type of Oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 10:21 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's mostly based off of myths or he said she said kind of thing. Pennzoil is really no different than Castrol or Mobil. This "wax" that people refer to is paraffin and that ingredient shows up in practically all dino oil. Sludge is caused by inadequate OCI, or simply using the wrong oil for the car. Those who follow the necessary OCI won't have problems with sludge, even if you're using Quaker State or Pennzoil.

Mind you I had a 1988 Honda Civic that used Pennzoil throughout its whole life and the internal was still clean after 250k miles, which the car was sold then. Yes, some oil sludge more than others when going over the necessary interval, but that's not the real problem. The problem is many people neglect to change their oil on time. No one should rely on the oil to stay sludge-free. Rather, one should do proper maintenance and avoid troubles later down the road.
+1
He's right, Robomax. Castrol GTX uses the same Group III process that everyone else uses. Pennzoil, Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, Shell, Quaker State, they all use Group III processes for their synthetic oils which are refined crude oils which are paraffinic. You have been given some bad information. Please don't spread it here. Can you imagine if Pennzoil was damaging engines? They would be popping off left and right. Pennzoil is the most sold oil in the world. You can say the information was given to you by the most trusted guy in the world, but that doesn't make it so.

The 2JZ-GE and 1/2/3UZ-FE both take about 5.5 quarts. Any synthetic will serve it well. The engine has been back spec'd to 5-20 oil as well. It can use just about anything. Conventional oils work well too, in fact the oils that Toyota uses are often conventional oils. The 2JZ-GE and 1UZ-FE engines are easy on oil. Be sure to use a good filter. See my thread on oil filter options here.

Last edited by tinman; 06-08-11 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-08-11, 11:31 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been using napa synthetic in mine for the 3 years I've had it, far from an expert on oil but its been working fine for me!
Old 06-09-11, 07:37 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

European Formula Castrol 0W-30 (aka German Castrol) with Toyota 90915-20004 filter. Before I used Amsoil 5W-30 which is excellent oil, but I believe GC is even better.

Last edited by ChrisK; 06-10-11 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-09-11, 08:18 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman
+1
He's right, Robomax. Castrol GTX uses the same Group III process that everyone else uses. Pennzoil, Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, Shell, Quaker State, they all use Group III processes for their synthetic oils which are refined crude oils which are paraffinic. You have been given some bad information. Please don't spread it here. Can you imagine if Pennzoil was damaging engines? They would be popping off left and right. Pennzoil is the most sold oil in the world. You can say the information was given to you by the most trusted guy in the world, but that doesn't make it so.

The 2JZ-GE and 1/2/3UZ-FE both take about 5.5 quarts. Any synthetic will serve it well. The engine has been back spec'd to 5-20 oil as well. It can use just about anything. Conventional oils work well too, in fact the oils that Toyota uses are often conventional oils. The 2JZ-GE and 1UZ-FE engines are easy on oil. Be sure to use a good filter. See my thread on oil filter options here.
Exactly! That's why I told him to educate himself because spreading info like that only makes him look bad in the end. Everything you stated was correct except Castrol GTX is dino, which isn't Group III. I have a GS3 and I will be doing my first oil change in it this weekend. Do you all change it from the top or bottom. I know the manual states to change from the bottom, but you can reach down and grab it from the top on the GS3
Old 06-09-11, 02:30 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Exactly! That's why I told him to educate himself because spreading info like that only makes him look bad in the end. Everything you stated was correct except Castrol GTX is dino, which isn't Group III. I have a GS3 and I will be doing my first oil change in it this weekend. Do you all change it from the top or bottom. I know the manual states to change from the bottom, but you can reach down and grab it from the top on the GS3
I have changed it from the bottom, however I have found it easier to change from the top. I use a form-a-funnel to divert the oil that comes out down to a waiting oil pan. You are correct, Castrol GTX is Group II/II+. I meant to say that other than German Castrol (GC, as mentioned by ChrisK), all their synthetic oils are group III. I should have been more clear. Thanks for crossing my t's and dotting my i's!

Last edited by tinman; 06-09-11 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-09-11, 05:20 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

depends on how you are changing the rest of your oil.

if you use an oil extractor, you can do everything from the top, so with all 4wheels on the ground you are saving time/effort. I use a heavy duty ziplock bag and some finesse with perhaps 1-2 strategic shop towels for drips to end up with zero oil drops hitting the floor.
But until you get the hang of it, you're probably going to make at least a little bit of a mess.

If you are getting under the car anyway, then you might as well get it from the bottom while you're down there.
Old 06-09-11, 06:22 PM
TimWalker
Rookie

I use amsoil in everything. Even amsoil atf in the power steering pump and flushed my master cylinder and refilled with amsoil brake fluid
Old 06-09-11, 08:57 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by tinman
I have changed it from the bottom, however I have found it easier to change from the top. I use a form-a-funnel to divert the oil that comes out down to a waiting oil pan. You are correct, Castrol GTX is Group II/II+. I meant to say that other than German Castrol (GC, as mentioned by ChrisK), all their synthetic oils are group III. I should have been more clear. Thanks for crossing my t's and dotting my i's!
No problem. Let me guess, fellow BITOG'er Alumni lol??
Old 06-10-11, 09:29 AM
tinman
Intermediate

No problem. Let me guess, fellow BITOG'er Alumni lol??
Yup. You can find me as TinmanSC on BITOG.
Old 06-10-11, 11:59 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mobil 1 5w-30 with Mobil 1 oil filter. Been using Mobil 1 for over 13 years on every vehicle i have owned and/or modded
Old 06-10-11, 01:10 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MOBIL 1 WITH OEM filter! changed before 3k MILES!!
Old 06-15-11, 10:29 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by raytseng
depends on how you are changing the rest of your oil.

if you use an oil extractor, you can do everything from the top, so with all 4wheels on the ground you are saving time/effort. I use a heavy duty ziplock bag and some finesse with perhaps 1-2 strategic shop towels for drips to end up with zero oil drops hitting the floor.
But until you get the hang of it, you're probably going to make at least a little bit of a mess.

If you are getting under the car anyway, then you might as well get it from the bottom while you're down there.
I changed the oil and diff oil this past weekend, and they both were a big task. Well draining the oil was easy, changing the filter was a problem. I tried to grab it from the bottom with half the cover off, but I stopped due to my arm touching hot parts trying to get to filter. I changed it from the top, but I had to lay down some rags so that the oil didn't spill on everything after I unscrewed it.

The diff...I will probably pay someone else to do this. I used M1 gear oil, so I don't have to worry about it for at least 50-60k...this was a very messy, smelly job. I was able to finally to unscrew the drain plug...man was that tight. Had to use all of my strength. I bought a generic diff pump from autozone and it didn't work great at all. It eventually got the oil in there but it took atleast 1hr to do this job. Next time I'll buy Amsoil and get the pump that's actually made for the bottle so it can screw on...no spill!!
Old 08-18-11, 12:18 PM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

I do 6 quarts in my GS4. I think it takes 5.7 qts.

I usually run 10w30 but I'm gonna switch it to 5w30.
Old 08-18-11, 03:53 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Liquid gold^
Old 08-18-11, 05:23 PM
marus
Pole Position

Royal Purple!!!!

Quick Reply: What type of Oil do you use?