GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS-F Conversion...is it worthy to be called a F?

Old 05-04-11, 10:22 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Gs-f ftw
Old 05-04-11, 10:36 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh yeah, almost forgot. The devil is in the details
Picture of my headunit startup screen when the car is first keyed on

Old 05-04-11, 10:46 PM
TYPEII
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I get 1st dibs when you sell her...
Old 05-04-11, 10:52 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

simply amazingg!
Old 05-04-11, 10:54 PM
blazah
Rookie

I am totally impressed! Nice build.
Old 05-04-11, 11:03 PM
sikkwidit
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow it looks great, That definitely deserves the F
Old 05-04-11, 11:30 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

you never cease to amaze me jeff, frickin well done. 2 questions though, 1) how well do the 6 link and front brace work in general and/or with trd sways and 1 gen aristo strut tower bar and 2) is the bottom end stock or do you have gte internals or is at your custom turbo kit you were/are trying to mass produce? once again bravo, i wish you lived in so cal.
Old 05-04-11, 11:35 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

wow, I'm speachless (in a good way)
Old 05-04-11, 11:39 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dam you, jeff...dam you. Super "F"in NICE.
Old 05-04-11, 11:41 PM
Chumacher
Lead Lap

Unreal. I'd like to see a drag race against your Gallardo.
Old 05-05-11, 12:15 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
you never cease to amaze me jeff, frickin well done. 2 questions though, 1) how well do the 6 link and front brace work in general and/or with trd sways and 1 gen aristo strut tower bar and 2) is the bottom end stock or do you have gte internals or is at your custom turbo kit you were/are trying to mass produce? once again bravo, i wish you lived in so cal.
I'll answer a little more in depth. Maybe this will answer other peoples questions as well.

1) Handling is freaking amazing. Playing the suspension game is very tricky to get it right, but I think I have the forumula very close now. I tuned the suspension a little differently than most people would. I get a stiffer set of coilovers such as the Tein Flex, add plenty of chassis bracing such as the 6 link bars and the front underbrace. Where I go different from everyone else is that I run stock sway bars(only has upgraded poly sway bushings). This setup increases suspension rigidity by having the stiff springs and race-ish tuned shocks. Second, it increases chassis rigidity by adding the extra bracing(I'm actually going to fabricate some subframe connectors that are to be welded to the chassis directly, and also a rear cross/underbrace). I go with stock sway bars to keep maximum wheel independence on the road for better compliance on city streets. Since this is mostly a road car, I'm still able to maintain acceptable(to me) road manners while being able to effortlessly attack the turns at speeds that would terrify most people lol.

If I ever have the need to enter this car in a competition event, or a track day. Then I will just simply swap the sway bars for a set of TRD blue sways I have on the shelf. The suspension becomes very rigid at that point and the sedan is transformed into a go kart lol.

2) This car actually has a fully forged and built bottom end. I opted to do this instead of just simply dropping in GTE rods/pistons for several reasons. It's able to handle 1000hp in the shortblock, with me only pushing it to 600, the motor will be reliable for a loooong time. It has forged Wiseco pistons and a set of forged H-Beam rods. It's incredibly stout and the most amazing part is that each piston/rod assembly weighs about 220grams less than GTE piston/rods. To translate this into real numbers, 220gram x 6 pistons = a savings of 1320grams. That's equivalent to removing one entire piston/rod from the reciprocating assembly. So I'm running 6 cylinders, that are stronger than GTE internals and all while weighing only the equivalent of 5 cylinders weight

This engine revs up and down much faster than GTE internals. Also, due to the weight removed off the reciprocating assembly, I gained an estimate of 30-40hp just from the weight loss and reduced friction/centrifugal forces. The turbo I used is a T04Z Twin Ball Bearing turbo. I also have two exhaust housings I can easily interchange between. One is a .70AR and the other is a 1.00AR. I use the 1.00AR on a daily basis because I like doing highway pulls, and this housing gives me a monstrous top end power band. I will put in the .70AR if I take the car to a track day where I spend a lot of time turning, braking, and cornering instead of long stretches of full boost.

This car is built as a pure bred performance monster instead of just looking pretty. While still being able to play double duty as a daily driver, which it is currently. I have it setup as a street configuration normally. But I designed the modified components to be easy to swap out and access if I need to do it. The best part is that the car looks very OEM from the outside, and most people can't even tell it's that heavily modified

Originally Posted by Chumacher
Unreal. I'd like to see a drag race against your Gallardo.
Sad to say, the Gallardo stands no chance...that is until the TT setup is done. MUAHAHAHA
Old 05-05-11, 12:24 AM
supratp23
Rookie

What is used for engine management?
Old 05-05-11, 12:38 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by supratp23
What is used for engine management?
Believe it or not, an AEM FIC piggyback. The magic sauce is all in the tuning

On a separate note, I just realized something. This was supposed to be my daily driver lol. Now it's performance is almost rivaling my previous setup on my white GS. Oh well, live and learn lol

Last edited by JeffTsai; 05-05-11 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-05-11, 12:47 AM
supratp23
Rookie

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Believe it or not, an AEM FIC piggyback. The magic sauce is all in the tuning

On a separate note, I just realized something. This was supposed to be my daily driver lol. Now it's performance is almost rivaling my previous setup on my white GS. Oh well, live and learn lol
So your letting the stock computer control the vvti? Does it control it well with having a turbo on there?

Also are you using the maf as a blow through type? stock maf?

Last edited by supratp23; 05-05-11 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-05-11, 12:58 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

love fast revving engine. I always wanted this on my gs430. Light weight forged internal and tops to keep up. Even with slight increase in hp/tq... the fast revving engine will up others with more power.

Is the ISF seats any lighter than ours? rip the seats apart and put unobtanium skeletons and reupholster them.

I seriously wonder how the lfa would do with turbo....

Last edited by sam430; 05-05-11 at 01:02 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS-F Conversion...is it worthy to be called a F?