GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Looking for daytime running light bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 10:40 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for daytime running light bulb replacement

I have HID's on my new 2002 Lexus and I noticed how yellow the bulb is on the daytime running lights. I think it looks really bad next to the HID's. I know this has been discussed in the past. Could anybody give the make and part/model number of a replacement bulb for the daytime running light bulb that will look better next to the HID's? If there is also a replacement for the high beam bulb, could you give me that info also.
Old 09-03-02, 03:33 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

There is no aftermarket bulb that will really match your HID. I have tried several different ones but have since gone with the PIAA ION Crystal (amber color).
Attached Thumbnails Looking for daytime running light bulb replacement-amber-headlights.jpg  
Old 09-03-02, 03:43 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by KayGee
There is no aftermarket bulb that will really match your HID. I have tried several different ones but have since gone with the PIAA ION Crystal (amber color).
Actually, that looks pretty good. How does it affect your hi-beam output?
Old 09-03-02, 04:00 PM
KayGee
Instructor

High beam is not affected. The DRL/High Beam is a seperate bulb from the wedge bulb that comes on when the headlights are on. My wedge bulb is amber, my DRL/High beam is PIAA super plasma (POS IMO)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=bulb

Last edited by KayGee; 09-03-02 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-03-02, 04:29 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

High beam is not affected. The DRL/High Beam is a seperate bulb from the wedge bulb that comes on when the headlights are on. My wedge bulb is amber, my DRL/High beam is PIAA super plasma (POS IMO)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=bulb
Really? I was considering those as an upgrade to my Highs. What do you not like about them?

And Sam, also consider, *just about any* bulb you install for your DRLs will be yellow since the DRL functionality is obtained by using your Highs @ 50%

Now, if you are curous about the wedge bulbs, then yes, there are a couple out there can (kinda) match the HIDS. Polarg M6s being one of those. Mine are still going strong.

I've not seen any other wedge bulbs first hand, but I know that the Polargs look very good. You can check out my install and pics on my page (click on picture in my sig).

HTH
Old 09-03-02, 04:37 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

for the wedge bulb that lights up at night with your headlights, try polarg m-6
Old 09-03-02, 04:37 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Dex,
I guess the POS is a little bit extreme. They are just overpriced IMO. I almost never turn my high beam on and then only for a few seconds it seems. DRLs seem to always be yellow because they are only half power. I did have some cheap blue bulbs before that looked better. The only problem was that they didn't last long and when parked they cast a weird blue glow in the reflector.

Last edited by KayGee; 09-03-02 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-03-02, 04:49 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

I almost never turn my high beam on and then only for a few seconds it seems.
Me too. That's really the only thing that is keeping me from upgrading. It is funny to see the highs on, while the HIDs are still on, and you pull up to a closed garage door; it's so obvious.

SO, the color of the plasmas match? Shoot, I'll see you at the hotel this weekend. (That's for the Meet, everyone :eek: )
Old 09-03-02, 04:55 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

KayGee: I like yours LEDs looks really nice.. and i'm sure you do not get pulled over 'cuz they yellow )

i was thinkin to get blue.. but paul tells me i'm goin get pulled over in heart beat..

so i though white or yellow is way to go.. now i know how yellow they looks like.. and i gotta say they look nice..

i wanna see how blue would look like though)
Old 09-03-02, 06:33 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Hey Dex, thanks for the info and I plan on following your installation instructions on your page.

So I'm going to get Polarg M-6 bulbs for the DRL and for the high beams I'll get the PIAA Super Plasma but what model/type should I get of the PIAA Super Plasma? same bulb type as stock? Thanks.
Old 09-03-02, 06:41 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Sam Khoury
I'll get the PIAA Super Plasma but what model/type should I get of the PIAA Super Plasma? same bulb type as stock? Thanks.
Highs are 9005
Non HID Lows and Fogs are 9006
Old 09-04-02, 05:09 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Hey Dex, thanks for the info and I plan on following your installation instructions on your page.

So I'm going to get Polarg M-6 bulbs for the DRL and for the high beams I'll get the PIAA Super Plasma but what model/type should I get of the PIAA Super Plasma? same bulb type as stock? Thanks.
wait, aren't DRL and high-beams the same? i believed the m-6 goes for the little wedge bulb on the side, while the DRL/high-beam is that big mother in the middle.
Old 09-04-02, 05:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

DRL is actually low voltage high beam, they use the same bulb (the 9005)

the light that you get when you turn on your headlight (HID or not) is the weld bulb. it's true size is M4 but a lot of people put in M6. M4 is 5W and M6 is 15W, so you will get burnt out bulbs faster if you have M6. plus it's a pain to install. I just replace the stock weld bulbs with polarg M4 and i love how it looks.

i will post up pics in another thread very soon.
Old 09-04-02, 11:46 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Rominl, does the M4 look as white as the M6 just not as bright? or is it still a little bit on the yellow side?

By the way, since there is a difference in wattage, between the stock and the M6, are there any negative effects on the area around the bulb?
Old 09-04-02, 11:56 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

By the way, since there is a difference in wattage, between the stock and the M6....
Yes. OEM = 5W // M6 = 15W

...are there any negative effects on the area around the bulb?
None so far for me, and I am just shy of a year after install. The biggest variable is keeping the bulbs clean during the install; hence the use of the latex gloves.

Quick Reply: Looking for daytime running light bulb replacement