GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Quick Write-up On How I Refinished My Jaguar Rear Tables.

Old 04-25-11, 08:23 AM
2GSonAir
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Quick Write-up On How I Refinished My Jaguar Rear Tables.

These tables are from a 1995 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas Sedan. I bought them about 2 years ago from a Jaguar dismantler on the east coast. Can't remember the name of the place though. I just did a search on google and called around.
So I finally made some time to refinish these Jag rear tables. They didn't match the wood in my 2000 Gs400 and they were cracked from being in the sun for years at the bone yard. Here's how they looked when I got them. These are pictures from the Jaguar the junkyard people sent me. Cracks all over and they were brown and didn't match at all. I paid about $180 from what I remember. They were hard for me to find at the time for some reason.

A LOT of time and effort was put into these tables. Took about a week and a half to finally get them mounted in.
The Lowes guys told me to use Jasco paint stripper to remove the clear glaze that was on there. It was a major FAIL and waist of time and money. The paint stripper did not even penetrate one bit and was left on for an hour. So I scratched that plan and started with 80 grit sand paper on a handheld mouse sander and sanded until the clear was down to wood. It took about 3 hours on each one. I sanded until I was all the way down to the original wood. There is a burlwood effect that is somehow acheived from the manufacture that is not actual wood before you get down to the real wood. To keep the burlwood look then be real carefull as you sand down. Once you see dark sanding dust, you need to stop. The burlwood looks like a bunch little swirls. I didn't like it so I sanded it down to the actual wood that has more straight lines in the grain like the stock wood pieces have.

After that I changed the sand paper to 220 grit. Sanded real lightly and then finished with 320 grit lightly.

Then I stained them 3 times to get the color dark enough to match the stock. Here's a picture after they've been sanded and stained.

The stain I used was from Lowe's and in Mandarin Orange color.

I then made some custom holders and drip trays because the clear glaze has to be poured on. You can use a brush-on type epoxy but to acheive a thick coat just like how the tables came, my only solution was a pour-on type that auto levels. The trays were made of particle board I had around the house and the stems that go up are made of paint stir sticks I got for free at Lowes. Two paint stir sticks on each stem that were glued together then sanded down to fit exactly perfect in the slots where the brackets go. I used a nail gun to put together the drip trays and wood glued the edges so that the glaze wouldn't seep through the cracks.
I used my compressor to blow any dust that may be on the tables. The glaze was then poured on. The instructions will tell you that there will be tiny little bubbles created from mixing and stirring the glaze. Use a small handheld propane torch to pop the bubbles. Wave the flame about 6-8 inches away from the wood back and forth and you'll see them pop. This is a real fast process. Most of the bubbles will surface and pop on their own but it says that if you do not use a torch, some will stay and create divets. Once bubbles are torched real fast, put the tables somewhere there will be no dust that circulates in the air and let dry for 3 days. I put the tables in my Honda Civic track car and rolled up the windows. The tables were put on the floor of the car lined by news paper just in case.

The glaze I used was bought from Lowe's as well. I glazed one table at a time. The glaze is a two part mixture of hardener and epoxy. I only mixed half of what was given at a time in a clean red solo cup hahaaa. This stuff starts to dry and gets real thick after 20 minutes so you don't have much time to play around with it so it's best to do one table at a time.

After they dried. I still noticed some pitting I believe is from the wood breathing and so bubbles came up and left pits. I wasn't happy so I bought another glaze kit from Lowes and poured on another coat and let dry for another 3 days. After that, the finish came out great. The only thing I need to do now is sand them down again with 2 or 3000 grit to get the slight waviness out and clear glaze them again with a brush-on type epoxy to get them perfect. Oh and also get the bottom leather reupolstered to match the existing leather. The leather color is off a bit. Shouldn't cost too much either.

I hope this DIY can help someone. I'm sure there's a better way but this is how I decided to do mine. Maybe some can chime in on how I can finish them and remove the slight waves. Enjoy.

Last edited by 2GSonAir; 04-25-11 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 08:51 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow! amazing. you have skills for sure.

Safety factor for the rear passengers might be only concern.

I really like the interior and exterior of your car.... Super clean. Yakuza car.

Last edited by alexulan; 04-25-11 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-25-11, 08:53 AM
AristoMk3
Driver School Candidate

awesome write up, how do the tables actually mount up? do they just screw into the seat or did you have to pull apart the seat and make brackets behind or some thing ?
Old 04-25-11, 09:11 AM
2GSonAir
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alexulan
wow! amazing. you have skills for sure.

Safety factor for the rear passengers might be only concern.

I really like the interior and exterior of your car.... Super clean. Yakuza car.
The tables fold up.

Originally Posted by AristoMk3
awesome write up, how do the tables actually mount up? do they just screw into the seat or did you have to pull apart the seat and make brackets behind or some thing ?
I took the backing off the seats. Two 10mm bolts from the bottom and the whole panel comes off. I bought screws and nuts from Lowes, drilled holes and on the back side used big 1 1/2 inch washers. They are fully secure and don't bobble around at all. Real solid. When I find time to take them off again, I'll take pictures. I wasn't planning on doing a write up.
Old 04-25-11, 10:03 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Great work. Just like how you need to drill holes into the seats though.
Old 04-25-11, 10:34 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Looks good!!!!
Old 04-25-11, 12:12 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This inspires me to do the same thing ... very nice write up btw.
Old 04-25-11, 12:19 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

if you would have rounded off the top corners of the wood to match the seat when folded, they would actually look stock. nice job.
Old 04-25-11, 12:44 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

beautiful work.

drop a pick in the table thread when you got time.
http://https://www.clublexus.com/for...le-thread.html
Old 04-25-11, 01:07 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

The EG in the background is way better anyway.
Old 04-25-11, 01:13 PM
otis_jzs
Lead Lap

Those tables look amazing and so does your GS
Old 04-25-11, 01:51 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good, my little brother is a carpenter and pointed out you should've blocked it better cause you see the waves...I told him to shutup...

I spy a cusco cage in the EG...
Old 04-25-11, 04:32 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

u see some orange peal/ripple stuff. wetsand sand 2000 grit and then 3000. followed up with polish n ur GOLDEN!
Old 04-25-11, 05:01 PM
SuperiorSC
Lexus Test Driver

those look great and they would be super functional for me... my daughter would love having a table in the back. im diggin the hanger on your headrest. did you fab that up yourself or did u purchase it? more info please. thanks.
Old 04-25-11, 05:23 PM
darick12
Driver School Candidate

nice write up bro

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Write-up On How I Refinished My Jaguar Rear Tables.