GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Perplexed....what to do??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 03:34 AM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Perplexed....what to do??????

So I just found out last friday I am moving out of the country for anywhere from 2 to 3 years for my job. So I've been doing some soul searching on what to do with my baby.

The job is only authorizing one vehicle so it's either the mini van or squeeze everyone into the Lexus. Of course when you have kids this is a no brainer.

My job will pay me to store my Lexus in a temp control enviornment while I'm gone where they will start it and drive it around once or twice to roll the tires and keep everything lubed.

The real question is.....

Should I keep her and have her when I get back or sell and start over when I return???
Old 03-21-11, 04:30 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Why not store it?
Old 03-21-11, 08:19 AM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

Just store it, if the company you working for will pay for it.
Old 03-21-11, 10:59 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Store it. The tires will have likely flat spotted in that time unless it is driven fairly regularly. Many discussions about long term storage already online so reading those may provide some tips. Personally, I'd yank the battery and let it sit on jackstands. Don't risk somebody driving it, invariably they meet a curb or some other incident and you get a call.
Old 03-21-11, 11:56 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Store it since they're paying for you.
Old 03-21-11, 04:06 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you have a family member you trust to take care of the car, sell it.

A stored car can create a lot of problems and unless your car is super-rare, you can always buy one when you come back.

2-3 yrs is a long time; I hope your company is hooking you up on comp
Old 03-21-11, 04:56 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2-3 years is a long time, plus you don't what is going to happen in that time. I'd sell the car now. Who knows your taste may change or you may be there longer then 2-3 years.
Old 03-21-11, 09:05 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

Sell it and be done with it.. You can always start with another one down the road. Life will be different for you in that time.
Old 03-21-11, 11:03 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Dude sell it. Later on the road you can get an LS 460 as price depreciates.
Old 03-22-11, 03:41 AM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

I can see both sides to this from the advice you are giving me...

On one side I could keep her and put her into storage. If something happens to her then my job will cover it and the left over will be taken care of by my insurance.

Now if I sell her I don't think I will get what I have put into her. I understand that comes with the territory when doing what we do here on CL. But my stereo alone is over $4K. It wouldn't be hard to pull out but there will be witness marks from where the speakers were mounted....that is just one instance right there.

I had plans for her...I still have a couple more months (1 Aug) to stew over it and make a decision....I will keep you posted...

Thanks you all for your advice and input.
Old 03-22-11, 07:36 AM
Philthy29
Driver School Candidate

You never get what you pay for anything. Best bet is to part out in order to recover most funds, you sell as it sits you may lose much more. The new owner won't mind a few imperfections regarding your old stereo setup, I'm sure as long as it runs/drives and for the most part clean, it's a done deal. Part it, sell it, and have no worried while you're gone.

Good luck with everything
Old 03-22-11, 01:56 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Yea sounds like a modified car as well, things will most likely disappear from the car. You cannot store an automatic car wth out running the engine and drive train atleast every 3 months along with atleast one oil change also to say the least using what gas is in there to keep it up to snuff with stabilizers I give gas no more than a month or two even though they promote longer. I would start the de-modifing now part those parts out and sell the car as stock as possible by AUG 1st ship off date. Good Luck to ya sounds like you might be in for a little life adventure.
Old 03-25-11, 09:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jcastaneda
So I just found out last friday I am moving out of the country for anywhere from 2 to 3 years for my job. So I've been doing some soul searching on what to do with my baby.

The job is only authorizing one vehicle so it's either the mini van or squeeze everyone into the Lexus. Of course when you have kids this is a no brainer.

My job will pay me to store my Lexus in a temp control enviornment while I'm gone where they will start it and drive it around once or twice to roll the tires and keep everything lubed.

The real question is.....

Should I keep her and have her when I get back or sell and start over when I return???
How many kids do you have? If it is just 2 you don't need a minivan, 3 would be a squeeze but can still be done. If you have just 2 kids I would take the Lexus with you and get rid of the minivan since I am sure you have no attachment to a minivan. If you have 3 or more you may want the minivan to take with you and then the question is how attached are you to your GS.

If you are really attached to the GS and have done some modifications with more planned in the future then I would just store it, especially if the company is paying you to store it, 2 or 3 years is not that long. You will most likely get a vacation each year so you can come back to the states where it is stored to check up on it, drive it around a little, etc. If you know anyone well close to where the car is being stored arrange that they be able to take the car out and report to you every 3 months or so.

If you are not attached to the GS and are thinking about getting rid of it anyway in a couple years then maybe you should just sell it.
Old 03-25-11, 09:33 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sell sell sell
Old 03-25-11, 10:26 AM
charris
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd sell it. The downside for letting it sit is greater than the upside of having it when you get back. Pull your stereo and easily removable mods, Sell it all and put the money into a fund that will make you some money. When you get back in 2-3 years, you will have money to get another GS or something better. See if your company can give you a kickback on the money you'll be saving them in storage.