GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

can someone help me with my drooping tip???

Old 08-24-02, 02:21 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can someone help me with my drooping tip???

i know that this should prolly go under the engines/transmission section but i needed the traffic that the main forum gets. the rubber mount that puts the muffler with the body has separated on one side. thus the drooping tip. i still have the OEM rubber thingies, but they are too big and dont pull the tip back into the hole (uhhh, he said tip into the hole......huh huh) who do i need to contact to get this resolved. thanx for your help......

Doc
Attached Thumbnails can someone help me with my drooping tip???-droopy.jpg  
Old 08-24-02, 02:22 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

this is the grommet or whatever its called. if you look and the opposite side, it looks like its ready to pop as well
Attached Thumbnails can someone help me with my drooping tip???-grommet.jpg  
Old 08-24-02, 04:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

can someone help me with my drooping tip???
Viagara!?
Old 08-24-02, 04:31 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

i should have expected that from you paul. how bout the female version.....niagara!!!
Old 08-24-02, 05:02 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess that rubber mount is come with your exhaust right. May be some exhaust shop around may have some of this mount or you have to make some thing that will work.
Just PM you.
Old 08-24-02, 05:07 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: can someone help me with my drooping tip???

Originally posted by DrRick
i know that this should prolly go under the engines/transmission section but i needed the traffic that the main forum gets. the rubber mount that puts the muffler with the body has separated on one side. thus the drooping tip. i still have the OEM rubber thingies, but they are too big and dont pull the tip back into the hole (uhhh, he said tip into the hole......huh huh) who do i need to contact to get this resolved. thanx for your help......

Doc
As much as I'd like to follow bit's lead, I'm gonna take the high road on this one (WTF???). Your profile says Borlas and L-Tuned on the way. So, going off that, I'd either contact Borla or Steve G, or L-Tuned to get some replacement hangers. While you are waiting for them to come in, maybe some industrial strength zip ties around the outside of the hangers to secure them in place, or possibly some hose clamps.
Old 08-24-02, 06:51 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A zip tie will most definately melt right off, use some wire to secure it until you get a replacement hanger. Most exhaust shops carry a decent variety of them on hand.
Old 08-24-02, 08:22 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Better a drooping tip than a dripping tip; then, instead of what we who prescribe sometimes call "Stiffenall", generically known as "mycoxafallin", you'd need some mufflercillin. :eek:
Old 08-24-02, 09:38 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Hey Doc, any good muffler shop should have some rubber hangers. My local shop has replaced several of mine do to them breaking apart.
Old 08-24-02, 10:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

On a more serious note, Rick, you might consider going to an exhaust shop and have them help you. I'm sure they can attach and center them properly.
Old 08-25-02, 03:32 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mooretorque
instead of what we who prescribe sometimes call "Stiffenall", generically known as "mycoxafallin", you'd need some mufflercillin. :eek:

now that was damn funny. i am literally have tears in my eyes. RACK 'IM!!!!!
Old 08-25-02, 12:00 PM
LexFather

I have THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM, on the SAME EXACT SIDE. The rubber hanger broke just as Ricks. Yesterday, I look EXTENSIVELY under the car. For one thing, one exhaust is fitted better than the other. I.E. my driver's side muffler comes out slightly under the exhaust cut-out, the other side comes out more so. So they are uneven to start with.

Second, I went to LEXUS (BTW, I ******* HATE NALLEY LEXUS AND AM SO PISSED I BOUGHT MY CAR THERE) and the OEM hanger is TOTALLY DIFFERENT and $18 bucks!!!! So I bought it, tried it, nope no help. I went to Advance Auto and bought THE SAME HANGER for $1.99, took the Lexus hanger back.

Still droppy tip. I went to Auto Zone yesterday and buy a hanger with a smaller diameter, and it is holding the exhuast better, but still droops.

The OEM hanger and the BORLA (I am assuming) hanger is different.

I am gonna go to Lexus of SOUTH ATLANTA (who did this *****TY a$$ job in the first place) and tell them do the whole thing over.
Old 08-25-02, 12:13 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I have THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM, on the SAME EXACT SIDE. The rubber hanger broke just as Ricks.
i was gonna send you a PM about that today, mike. i noticed it the last time we were out. but i dint want to bring it to your attention in public, ya know. im going to hennessey of gwinnet on tuesday and see if vvt-i can help me out. i went by meineke and they said that they couldnt help me.......without even looking we'll get it fixed.
Old 08-25-02, 12:15 PM
LexFather

Yeah, ******* tip. I hate it. They Lexus of South Atlanta simply FOCKED UP the install. The exhausts end at different points. Crazy dude.......
Old 08-25-02, 12:50 PM
Flexor
Driver School Candidate

If it's for the borla's, I found a much beefier hanger from my local NAPA parts store. If you don't have a local NAPA, try NAPAONLINE.COM

The part number is 35646.

You might also want to have your borla pipes bent so they hang where you want them naturally. This will extend the life of your hangers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can someone help me with my drooping tip???