GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Which Intake do you have?
I have SRT Intake w/ ECU and I'm very happy with it.
32.26%
I have SRT Intake w/o ECU and I'm very happy with it.
0%
I have SRT Intake w/ or w/o ECU and I'm not happy with it.
0%
I have Weapon R Intake and I'm very happy with it.
6.45%
I have Weapon R Intake and I'm not happy with it.
9.68%
I do not have Intake and I'm planing to get one.
25.81%
Intakes are waste of money.
19.35%
I have Injen intake and I'm very happy with it
6.45%
I have Injen intake and I'm not very happy with it
0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

intake2

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-02, 08:01 PM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they're all the same....Honestly.....
Although I'm quite surprised no one is speaking up against SRT. Last time we had this pole....srt withdrew horsepower from the engine.

I think we should be comparing horspower with the cost of the intake.

Example:

Weapon-R No ECU: $210 8 hp gain

SRT Intake w/ECU: $550 $10 hp gain

Numbers aren't right....are they?
Old 08-19-02, 08:15 PM
RacingAristo

The best intake from our last dyno is Injen intake. Its quality and performance are both top notch. If you're looking for just an intake, go with Injen. The retail price is $260 I believe. I think a shop was selling for $205 shipped last time I asked.
Old 08-19-02, 09:53 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

ohhh...so the air filter makes all the difference?

Man, I must be stupid about cars......

The filter makes Zero noticable difference, I have gone through 4-5 different ones....and BTW what crappy filter am I running?
Old 08-19-02, 10:04 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

enginyr:

last time SRT was taken without ECU
Old 08-19-02, 10:06 PM
alexus
Pole Position

maybe injen is not as expensive as srt intake but that doesn't make it perfect..

srt is the most expensive.. but i think it also goes as the best if you do not look at the price.. i'm talkin about power wise..
Old 08-19-02, 10:27 PM
RacingAristo

When I was saying Injen intake outputs the most performance, I have Club Lexus's dyno to prove. Among Injen, WeaponR and SRT (not ECU), Injen has the most gain.

Someone also did some preliminary test on Blitz, K&N, APEX, HKS intake filter. Each filter has different fliteration and provide different gain. Not all the intake filters create equally. If they do, how come SRT's intake actually lose horsepower without ECU while the other two work fine. Now, whether you can actually feel the difference or not, that is another story.

alexus,

I said if you are looking for "just intake", Injen would be your best bet. If you don't look at the price, there are better combo out there. You can use APEX S-AFC (entry level), HKS F-Con (not available in U.S.), GReddy E-Manage, and etc. Those devices allow you to actually tune your car (not just fuel map) according to your mod and provide the max performance. While SRT ECU is simple, just solder it with stock one, you can't alter unless you take your car in to SRT's place and ask them custom tune it. I wouldn't ship my car from California to Maryland just for a simple tune up while XS Engineering could fine tune for me at local.
Old 08-19-02, 10:36 PM
alexus
Pole Position

i'm thinkin to drive to maryland myself and have my car tuned a little
Old 08-19-02, 10:58 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by alexus
did you actually took your car to moe's just to tweak it? or you bought intake from him?
I actually went down to MD and had Mo install the intake and TC on my car. I then went down again and had him upgrade me to the Race ECU for the 430 for free, dyno and all. One of the reasons I will be a SRT customer in the future. Mo took his time and stands behind his product.

As for the noise from the intake, it can get annoying at times, but with my Borla's, I find it hilarious when people run to the sidewalk or gimme the WTF look when they see it coming from a Lexus. I may eventually purchase the CAB that Kaju has fabricated. Are you gonna go to Yonkers Thu night? If so I will take you for a ride in my car, since I missed out on the big meet a few weeks ago Hope this helps. Later
Old 08-19-02, 11:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Each filter has different fliteration and provide different gain. Not all the intake filters create equally. If they do, how come SRT's intake actually lose horsepower without ECU while the other two work fine. Now, whether you can actually feel the difference or not, that is another story.
My understanding is the SRT intake loses HP without ECU because it is a bigger pipe which provides more air than a factory GS can deal with. The issue had nothing to do with the filter - the SRT intake was never designed to be run without the ECU. Read all the old dyno posts, this topic was discussed at great length (and should have been put to bed).

Everything else RA said I agree with. Injen looks like the best stand-alone from the earlier dyno testing. Folks who aren't within driving distance from SRT don't get the benefit of local tuning on their intake/ecu. I believe they have dealers lined up in different areas now, but you can't beat the ECU designer doing the tuning.

edit - I've got the Race ECU.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-19-02 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-19-02, 11:08 PM
RacingAristo

My point is not every intake created equally. The length of the pipe, the diameter of the pipe, the location of the filter, the type of filter and etc.

The diameter of SRT intake pipe is larger than both Injen and WeaponR. No doubt.

If you can take the advantage of SRT because you are willing to drive to their facility, by all mean, go for it. Nobody knows their ECU better than SRT. However, in my understanding, SRT ECU (the one comes with intake) does not adjust the ignition time, and other. It only modifies the fuel map. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-19-02, 11:09 PM
alexus
Pole Position

gs430:

when is the meeting? i'd love to go
Old 08-19-02, 11:10 PM
alexus
Pole Position

guys, thanks for valueble info

i really appreciate it..
Old 08-19-02, 11:25 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by CSHFLW

Man, I must be stupid about cars......
well if you say so!
Old 08-19-02, 11:45 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

alexus,

This link should tell ya, all you need to know.
Old 08-19-02, 11:48 PM
alexus
Pole Position

it seems like i already missed that... i though there is another one going be some time soon

Quick Reply: intake2