GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help programming a fob for 2003 GS300

Old 02-15-11, 09:00 AM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help programming a fob for 2003 GS300

I have a 2003 GS300 that I recently purchased. It didn't have the original key with the fob inside, so I ordered one from Sewell. The key arrived today, and I programmed it to start the car just fine. However, I'm having problems getting the fob to work with the car. I have followed the instructions that I have found to the T, but right at the end of the steps, it stops working. Here are the instructions I'm following:

Sit in the driver's seat and lock all the doors.
Unlock and open the driver's door.
Insert the key into the ignition and remove it (don't turn it...just remove it).
Using the MANUAL lock switch on the driver's door, lock and unlock the door 5 times.
Close the door.
Open the door.
Lock and unlock the driver's door 5 times (I'm almost certain you use the MANUAL lock switch again, but if this sequence fails to work, try again with the power switch).
Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position.
Remove the key.
The driver's door will now lock and unlock itself one time.
Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob for at least 1 second.
Close the driver's door.
Open the driver's door.
Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob for at least one second.

*******************Right at this point, it seems like everything is working fine. When I hit the lock button on the fob, the car responds (both turn signals flash on the instrument panel like it normally would when locked from the key fob, etc), but as soon as I close the driver's door, it stops responding.???????????????*************************

Close the driver's door.
Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob. The door will lock.
Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob again. The door will unlock.

Does anyone have any other instructions for doing this, as maybe this was made for a different year or model than my car requires? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
bullhog (12-11-16)
Old 02-15-11, 09:49 AM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Never mind, found a better set of instructions and tried again, this time with success! Now I just have to get my driver and passenger side power locks working again....
Old 02-15-11, 11:02 AM
philipjdm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is programming the fob, how do i program the chip to allow it to start my car? unless only dealer can program the mobilizer chip.
Old 02-15-11, 12:39 PM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by philipjdm
this is programming the fob, how do i program the chip to allow it to start my car? unless only dealer can program the mobilizer chip.
I did this very thing today, and for my 2003 GS300, these instructions worked like a charm. Can't say it works for all models, but for me it did. You do have to have at least one Master key though. If not, dealer it is. Here you go:

To duplicate a key:

1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition.(DO NOT TURN)
3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.
5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time. At this time the security light starts blinking.
7. After 45 to 60 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off (stops blinking).
8. Remove new key and try starting the car.
The following users liked this post:
bullhog (12-11-16)
Old 02-15-11, 08:28 PM
philipjdm
Driver

thanks for the help, so i guess i have to go dealer hence my car only came with a valet key =/ that wouldn't work for programming my other key correct? all i need to do is program the mobilizer on the other key, because all the functions work besides the chip part.
Old 02-15-11, 08:54 PM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by philipjdm
thanks for the help, so i guess i have to go dealer hence my car only came with a valet key =/ that wouldn't work for programming my other key correct? all i need to do is program the mobilizer on the other key, because all the functions work besides the chip part.
Are you positive it's a valet key? You can tell if it's a master when you put it in the ignition. If the security light stops blinking when you put your key in, you have a master. If that's the case, you can use it to program a new key. If you truly do only have a valet, then you will need to go to a dealer or a locksmith more than likely.
Old 02-15-11, 10:08 PM
philipjdm
Driver

oh hmm, i should try this. never knew lol. thanks for the info very helpful
Old 02-15-11, 10:12 PM
philipjdm
Driver

oh, i guess i do have the master key with out the key fob then. i shall do this tomorrow, since outside is raining. thanks for the help.
Old 02-15-11, 11:01 PM
SidhuGs300
Pole Position

can you do this with a e bay purchased key also?
Old 02-16-11, 06:04 AM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SidhuGs300
can you do this with a e bay purchased key also?
I couldn't tell you. I went to Sewell and paid the $143 for the key w/ our CL discount. I programmed the keys myself and saved even more $. But this way I know I have a legit key. It came from Lexus. Never dealt w/ eBay keys before. But if what you get is legit, then yes these instructions should work.