GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 10:06 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What the heck?

Hey guys. I just got done swapping out my torn, old and cracked caster bushings with nice and shiny polyurathane bushings from TMengineering. First of all, everybody HAS to do this, the improvements are crazy! The car feels alot more controlled when going over bumps and definately feels much tighter steering and handling wise. But secondly, where the heck did this water come from?

As i was taking out one of the 14mm bolts that holds up the bracket for the caster arm and undercarraige brace. A huge stream of water came pouring out. It was almost as much as a hose for about 5-10 seconds. It actually startled me. It rained here a few days ago, but i'm just wondering why it would build up and come out of that 14mm bolt whole which looks like it connects to the frame? Anybody have any ideas why this volume of water would come out and what it's doing in there? Only the passenger side had this problem, the driver side was water free.

Old 01-04-11, 11:00 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya that's crazy. With as much rain as we had I had some wired issues as well.

Sorry to go off topic but did you press the bushings ur self?
Old 01-04-11, 11:32 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jrezo
Ya that's crazy. With as much rain as we had I had some wired issues as well.

Sorry to go off topic but did you press the bushings ur self?
No i didn't, i had my buddies shop cut out the metal piece and press in the bushings. I simply didn't have the tools to do it. And even he said it was a PITA. I installed and reinstalled them though. Wasn't too bad and the improvements are great!

But to get back on topic. Theres was enough water to the point that it made as stream all the way down my garage and onto the driveway.
Old 01-05-11, 01:17 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

The same thing happened to me when I did my poly bushings. The car dumped a bunch of water on me.
Old 01-05-11, 04:21 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Your car is preggo, son.

I wonder if it's a boy or a girl!
Old 01-05-11, 04:49 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ lolllllll..........
Old 01-05-11, 05:54 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Hey guys. I just got done swapping out my torn, old and cracked caster bushings with nice and shiny polyurathane bushings from TMengineering. First of all, everybody HAS to do this, the improvements are crazy! The car feels alot more controlled when going over bumps and definately feels much tighter steering and handling wise. But secondly, where the heck did this water come from?

As i was taking out one of the 14mm bolts that holds up the bracket for the caster arm and undercarraige brace. A huge stream of water came pouring out. It was almost as much as a hose for about 5-10 seconds. It actually startled me. It rained here a few days ago, but i'm just wondering why it would build up and come out of that 14mm bolt whole which looks like it connects to the frame? Anybody have any ideas why this volume of water would come out and what it's doing in there? Only the passenger side had this problem, the driver side was water free.

Nice work TL - that mod sounds well worth it! Is there anyway you can provide me with the item # of this TM Engineering bushing set that you installed? and perhaps pricing? Thanks a lot! BTW, I am not that knowledgable about suspension items...is this the same as the infamous Daizen bushing kit that I always read about on the forums? After 124K miles...I think it's time to change some suspension components. The only thing that was done was coilovers installed about 40K miles ago and ball joints replaced about 45K miles ago. Other than that - nothing. Your help would be appreciated!
Old 01-05-11, 09:22 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn! which hole is that? maybe i need to go out and drained mines also when spring comes.
Old 01-05-11, 11:20 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Your car is preggo, son.

I wonder if it's a boy or a girl!
LOL. I hop it gives birth to a lambo or ferrari.

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Nice work TL - that mod sounds well worth it! Is there anyway you can provide me with the item # of this TM Engineering bushing set that you installed? and perhaps pricing? Thanks a lot! BTW, I am not that knowledgable about suspension items...is this the same as the infamous Daizen bushing kit that I always read about on the forums? After 124K miles...I think it's time to change some suspension components. The only thing that was done was coilovers installed about 40K miles ago and ball joints replaced about 45K miles ago. Other than that - nothing. Your help would be appreciated!
It will definitely make a HUGE improvement then. The old bushings i cut out were cracked pretty bad and i'm only at 90k miles. This is the the Daizen bushing kit you've been hearing about, i only installed the caster arm (LCA #2) bushings right now because i was to lazy to do the rest. Very soon i'll do the LCA and UCA bushings as well. Definitely worth the $100 for the improvements even just with the caster arm bushings. I can't wait to see what they rest does.

Heres a link. The part number is G2- 2002a Make sure to get this part number based on the year of your car or the caster arm bushings won't fit. All others are the same.

http://www.tmengineering.net/suspens...n/make/gs.html

Originally Posted by denut-L
damn! which hole is that? maybe i need to go out and drained mines also when spring comes.

It's the hole that holds up the bracket to the caster arm and undercarriage front suspension brace. I'm pretty sure it was the hole closest to the rear. Some quick weight reduction! But, how you been Long? I haven't seen you in a little while around here. How's the car?
Old 01-05-11, 11:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by denut-L
Water drains because it gets collected in there, especially after a rain. Our frames are not 100% solid.
Old 01-05-11, 11:26 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Water drains because it gets collected in there, especially after a rain. Our frames are not 100% solid.
Where would it drain out of normally? It just seems like it would sit in there until some kid came along and unscrewed the bolt to install new caster arm bushings.
Old 01-05-11, 11:58 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

be happy u werent under there when that happened
Old 01-05-11, 12:00 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
be happy u werent under there when that happened
I was! Haha at least the water tasted pretty fresh... But it was damn cold!
Old 01-05-11, 10:11 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was! Haha at least the water tasted pretty fresh... But it was damn cold!

LOL Carlsbad 40 water.
Old 01-05-11, 10:33 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL. I hop it gives birth to a lambo or ferrari.

It will definitely make a HUGE improvement then. The old bushings i cut out were cracked pretty bad and i'm only at 90k miles. This is the the Daizen bushing kit you've been hearing about, i only installed the caster arm (LCA #2) bushings right now because i was to lazy to do the rest. Very soon i'll do the LCA and UCA bushings as well. Definitely worth the $100 for the improvements even just with the caster arm bushings. I can't wait to see what they rest does.

Heres a link. The part number is G2- 2002a Make sure to get this part number based on the year of your car or the caster arm bushings won't fit. All others are the same.

http://www.tmengineering.net/suspens...n/make/gs.html

Ok if you buy the whole kit how do you know which bushing for the caster arm. I am totally new to this

Andy

Quick Reply: What the heck?