GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

random misfire code

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 09:10 AM
2gs300
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default random misfire code

i keep getting random misfire code for cylinder 4,5,6. replaced the plugs and wires so far but still having the codes. has anyone had this problem before?
Old 12-14-10, 09:19 AM
Sixdown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it feel like it's misfiring? Any hesitation? What's the code? It could be an ignition coil issue.
Old 12-14-10, 10:47 AM
2gs300
Driver

does it mostly on cold start, you can feel the hesitation. code p0300, p0304, p0305, p0306. could it be the coil? 1 and 6 runs on the same coil, but no code for # 1
Old 12-14-10, 11:31 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

clear the code and see if it comes back
Old 12-14-10, 12:01 PM
2gs300
Driver

it comes back after a few days, sometimes even the same day
Old 11-27-14, 11:32 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

could be a bad tank

do you usually run your gas down to E?
Old 11-28-14, 11:57 AM
Urbandplmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your intake pipe resonator for cracks from exhaust manifold heat. If unmetered air gets in, you'll get a lean misfire.
Old 11-29-14, 03:02 PM
Deadpool88
Rookie

Originally Posted by Niktak
Even if you do have the dealership perform the "fix" all their doing is bandaging it up. Every single 2006 gs300 is going to have this problem and when it's fixed you'd be lucky to get another 70k out of the car, Those are words straight out of the service managers mouth. My car was 3 weeks out of the 9 years and corporate lexus told me they wouldn't do a single thing for me on my gs with 80k on it. There isn't an actual fix for the problem, the service manager told me he wouldn't perform the "fix" if I were paying out of pocket because it's only a temporary bandage. Bottom line, lexus sells garbage and doesn't back their product.
So the folks that have fixed this problem used some sort of dark magic? Sounds like you're basing all your Lexus experience on one worthless service manager.
Old 11-29-14, 03:28 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Originally Posted by Urbandplmt
Check your intake pipe resonator for cracks from exhaust manifold heat. If unmetered air gets in, you'll get a lean misfire.
Thanks a lot for this reply!!!

I will post more details in a little bit with pics too, but I was experiencing a similar situation with hesitation from a dead stop as well.

turned out it was exactly what u said... my air intake resonator had cracks.
Old 11-29-14, 04:13 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Default ...

OP have you checked your "Air intake resonator?"

I had similar situation:

Symptom's:
-low/rough idle
-intermediate hesitation from a dead stop
-hesitation between 1-2nd gear
-idle so low that it even shut off a couple times.

Fixes or repairs I tried:
-spark plugs
-MAF sensor clean and even put in a new MAF sensor
-02 sensor ( bank 2 sensor 1 ) = based on OBDII reader ( but didn't get a CEL )
-cleaned throttle body
-new air filter

***After the above fixes, my car seemed a lot better, but wasn't 100%.... what ultimately fixed the hesitation was fixing the Air Intake Resonator.

Below are pics from the fix itself... this is only temporary until the new one comes in:

As you can see in this pic, the part is cracking:

First I used some Foil tape:

Lastly used non residue duck tape to seal everything:

After doing all of this, problem is solved..... drove it around today for about an hour and feels brand new!!!
Old 12-07-14, 10:06 AM
Deadpool88
Rookie

Thanks deadpool, No I'm not basing everything on one service manager, and no they aren't doing any black magic.... Clearly you don't know anything about engines or how they work, but thank you for your two cents and pushing other owners to spend money on a car trying to fix their problem but all they are doing is wasting time and money. The Problem with the engine isn't a simple misfire, the problem is that the engines were built with direct injection, so instead of the injectors before the intake valves they direct inject straight to the cylinder thus leaving nothing to wash the valves like a normal engine. Yes other car manufacturers have had the same problem but all of them are wrong in putting this product out to sell when it's not even good for 100,000 miles
Umm these engines do not have direct injection, they are sequential electronic injection. Clearly you can't read or do any sort of research, or you're on a rant campaign and you want other's *** to bleed for you. The 2006 GS300 has a completely different engine and is a completely different generation than the 2nd gen. Maybe you should of researched before you bought the car? I've read the rough idle GS300 thread in the 3rd gen section, plenty of people are getting it fixed AND plenty of them are lasting well over 100k before seeing any real issues.
Old 12-07-14, 10:32 AM
Niktak
Driver School Candidate

You are correct genius, the injectors are electrically controlled to spray fuel directly into the each cylinder. Weather it's electric or mechanical it's still direct injection. And I am aware that gen2 and gen3 are two different generations, but thanks for checking. I'm not sure if I had a typo but I was stating that it will happen to every 2006 gs300 gen 3's, Not the gen two. And the only solution for a permanent fix would be replace the engine with an entirely differently designed engine. Replacing rings, pistons, valves and such doesn't change where the fuel comes into the cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails random misfire code-image.jpg  
Old 12-07-14, 10:37 AM
Niktak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Deadpool88
Umm these engines do not have direct injection, they are sequential electronic injection. Clearly you can't read or do any sort of research, or you're on a rant campaign and you want other's *** to bleed for you. The 2006 GS300 has a completely different engine and is a completely different generation than the 2nd gen. Maybe you should of researched before you bought the car? I've read the rough idle GS300 thread in the 3rd gen section, plenty of people are getting it fixed AND plenty of them are lasting well over 100k before seeing any real issues.
And yes I did research the car before I bought it but thanks to people like yourself I was under the impression that only a handful of these cars would be affected. If people knew their facts before posting other people wouldn't be mislead.
Old 12-07-14, 12:50 PM
Deadpool88
Rookie

You are correct genius, the injectors are electrically controlled to spray fuel directly into the each cylinder. Weather it's electric or mechanical it's still direct injection. And I am aware that gen2 and gen3 are two different generations, but thanks for checking. I'm not sure if I had a typo but I was stating that it will happen to every 2006 gs300 gen 3's, Not the gen two. And the only solution for a permanent fix would be replace the engine with an entirely differently designed engine. Replacing rings, pistons, valves and such doesn't change where the fuel comes into the cylinder.
So why the hell are you posting it in the completely wrong forum for a completely different car with a completely different engine? Your issue will not happen to the 2jz because it DOES NOT HAVE DIRECT INJECTION, so you posting some random issue that has nothing to do with the OP's issue makes zero sense. You say I don't know how an engine works when we are talking about oranges and you bring a ****ing apple to the conversation.

And it's clear to everyone here that you don't know how to research. You bought the car thinking it was an issue that effected a small percentage of the production run prior to X amount of miles, well guess what IT DOES ONLY EFFECT A SMALL AMOUNT OF THE RUN before they rack up a ton of miles. And it looks of people are getting it fixed (or at least the ones who didn't wait 9 years like you did). So you just proved to us all that you didn't know how direct injection works, and that eventually it will effect all of those engines because you went ahead and bought the car anyway. No one has created the infinite mile engine yet, why do you expect them to re-engineer an engine for your 9 year old car?
Old 12-08-14, 09:22 PM
ryceboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSdarksol
OP have you checked your "Air intake resonator?"

I had similar situation:

Symptom's:
-low/rough idle
-intermediate hesitation from a dead stop
-hesitation between 1-2nd gear
-idle so low that it even shut off a couple times.

Fixes or repairs I tried:
-spark plugs
-MAF sensor clean and even put in a new MAF sensor
-02 sensor ( bank 2 sensor 1 ) = based on OBDII reader ( but didn't get a CEL )
-cleaned throttle body
-new air filter

***After the above fixes, my car seemed a lot better, but wasn't 100%.... what ultimately fixed the hesitation was fixing the Air Intake Resonator.

Below are pics from the fix itself... this is only temporary until the new one comes in:

As you can see in this pic, the part is cracking:

First I used some Foil tape:

Lastly used non residue duck tape to seal everything:

After doing all of this, problem is solved..... drove it around today for about an hour and feels brand new!!!
Same exact thing happened to me too. Replaced my oil control valve, my tps, my spark plugs, my wires, O2 upstream sensors...finally gave up and had my buddy at Lexus check it out. It was the damn intake. After all that money spent...that's what it was. I was so pissed but at least I know all those parts are brand new. Good luck OP.

Quick Reply: random misfire code