GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

McCulloch HID Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 09:05 PM
BHC
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default McCulloch HID Conversion

Helloooo GSers!

I've got a LS so this is my first time posting here. Anyways, I performed a search for McCulloch HIDs and cant really find much info in any of the forum groups. But I figure there are so many more people in the GS forum so you guys might be able to help me out.

Does anyone have any experience with McCulloch HIDs? I installed a Philips 4300K kit about 2 months ago and have been pretty satisfied with it. You can check out my pics and comments in this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=49045 .
That was my last mod...and since then, i've gotten somewhat mod-itchy. So I just ordered a set of McCulloch 5000K to test out and see if they are that much better as some people claim. Beam pattern is suppose to be more evenly distributed and the color even whiter with a slight blue tinge. The website addy is http://www.mccullochhid.com/ in case you're interested. Just lookin for some feedback and comments. thanks.
Old 07-30-02, 10:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm...... i have never heard about it before, where is it made? i know philips and osram are the big dogs, and they are both made in germany.

i am sure lex400sc will come in with tons of info
Old 07-31-02, 12:17 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a muccoluch set. you can see my pics here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=53279

so your just buying another set of HID's to test out?? what are you gonna do with your other set???. wanna paypal me some extra money. Jmai22@socal.rr.com LOL. thought i tried.
Old 07-31-02, 08:17 AM
BHC
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
umm...... i have never heard about it before, where is it made? i know philips and osram are the big dogs, and they are both made in germany.

i am sure lex400sc will come in with tons of info
honestly, i'm not sure where it's made. But it is used as OEM HIDs in JDM Subarus and Mitsubishis so it must be pretty good.
Old 07-31-02, 08:20 AM
BHC
Driver

Originally posted by Jmai22
I have a muccoluch set. you can see my pics here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=53279

so your just buying another set of HID's to test out?? what are you gonna do with your other set???. wanna paypal me some extra money. Jmai22@socal.rr.com LOL. thought i tried.
Pics look nice Would you say the the colors in those pictures represent the actual colors pretty well? Just checkin cuz cameras can play tricks sometimes...

Well one of my buddies wants to buy my Philips kit, so that helps pay for part of the McCulloch kit. Haha, i'm working for peanuts right now. If i become stinkin rich one day, i'll be sure to paypal you some

Last edited by BHC; 07-31-02 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-31-02, 11:14 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the color is actually pretty close if you see them in person. mine has a tinge of blue but not really. they are more pure white. the warmup pictures during the day is exactly what they look like when they warm up.
Old 07-31-02, 12:25 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

McCulloch makes some good ballasts, actually Bosch (BMW, Audi, MB, Porsche) is using their ballast design. Their bulbs on the other hand are questionable. They are coated with a blue film which decreases useable light in an attempt to emulate the Philips Ultinon bulbs. In other words, the gas-discharge is not producing 5000K light, the capsule is filtering out all light that isn't +5000K. I wouldn''t buy the kits off that muccollochhid.com site. If I wanted McCulloch ballasts, I'd much rather buy the kit from suvlights.com which matches up McCulloch ballasts with Philips bulbs.

OEM HID in Japan means practically nothing these days because the Japanese are nutty for HID and you almost can't sell a new car without an HID option available. Mitsubishi and Subaru aren't quite A-list auto manufacturers as far as quality either. Yet I doubt even they will use the McCulloch bulbs. Even though all the Japanese manufacturers use Japanese-made ballasts, they all stick with Philips or Osram bulbs, and Philips and Osram alone. Trust me guys, there is no secret, hidden company online that sells a magical bulb that is twice a good as a Philips.