GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Factory Speaker/Subwoofer Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 07:41 AM
AtlantaVIP
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory Speaker/Subwoofer Question

What kind of 8" speaker/subwoofer do I need to replace the rear window factory one? I have a 2001 GS430. Does anyone know the ohm load, etc.....? If anyone can help, thank you for the input.
Old 10-29-10, 08:30 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its a 10" sub not an 8". And search, there is a ton of info about this already, including step by step pics and write ups about how to do the swap. GL
Old 10-29-10, 08:32 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

If you're looking for a stock sub from a non M/L system I have one available.
Old 10-29-10, 09:39 AM
dungut
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10" / 8 ohm / Free air (Infinate baffle)

Originally Posted by AtlantaVIP
What kind of 8" speaker/subwoofer do I need to replace the rear window factory one? I have a 2001 GS430. Does anyone know the ohm load, etc.....? If anyone can help, thank you for the input.
Old 10-30-10, 05:48 AM
AtlantaVIP
Pole Position

Thanks for the help fellas. I do have the Mark Levinson edition and I ended up finding out that the set up has a 10" sub instead of an 8". I also got an audio shop to find the ohm load for me and it came out 5 ohm. so I think a 4 ohm 10" sub will do good. Does that sound correct to you guys?
Old 11-03-10, 06:42 PM
NJLexusGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my blown stock 10" mark levinson sub with a 10" 4 ohm dual voice coil infinity reference sub. The only thing that sux is the install time. Took me about 1.5 hours with making a custom fit ring for the sub as the mark levinson diameter is larger and the infinity 10" sub will almost fall thru the hole in the deck. you will need to remove the rear seat, the rear deck and the side rear interior panels in order to get the stock sub out.
Old 11-03-10, 07:17 PM
Canhzx
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi I got a ML factory sub if you're interested?
Old 11-03-10, 07:30 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLexusGS
I just replaced my blown stock 10" mark levinson sub with a 10" 4 ohm dual voice coil infinity reference sub. The only thing that sux is the install time. Took me about 1.5 hours with making a custom fit ring for the sub as the mark levinson diameter is larger and the infinity 10" sub will almost fall thru the hole in the deck. you will need to remove the rear seat, the rear deck and the side rear interior panels in order to get the stock sub out.
hour and a half? all you have to do is cut out a square (or circle) slightly larger than the factory hole, mark an "X" from corner to corner to find the middle, use a compass to mark new woofer hole, cut it out. Mark the old mounting holes from old woofer [drill] and mount to car. Then mount new woofer... 20 mins work tops...
Old 11-04-10, 07:19 PM
NJLexusGS
Driver School Candidate

20 min. if you want to half a$$ the job. Hour and a half with removing the seat, deck, removing the old sub, mounting new one and putting the deck and seat back in without causing any other damage...
Old 11-04-10, 09:09 PM
blacknmild
Pole Position

How does it sound?
Old 11-05-10, 12:17 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

20 min. if you want to half a$$ the job. Hour and a half with removing the seat, deck, removing the old sub, mounting new one and putting the deck and seat back in without causing any other damage...
Hey, its not my fault people work slowly... guess being a professional helps... and dont insult me by saying its a half *** job cause I can build circles around most people in here...

Ok, maybe 30minutes

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 11-05-10 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-05-10, 12:46 AM
Blk04GS430
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
hour and a half? all you have to do is cut out a square (or circle) slightly larger than the factory hole, mark an "X" from corner to corner to find the middle, use a compass to mark new woofer hole, cut it out. Mark the old mounting holes from old woofer [drill] and mount to car. Then mount new woofer... 20 mins work tops...
Hey Jokster! What type of wood would you recommend for me to use? Thanks
Old 11-05-10, 06:54 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mdf....1/2"...and Mr.Jokster, you're watch is fast
Old 11-05-10, 07:29 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedaddic
mdf....1/2"...and Mr.Jokster, you're watch is fast
not really, just ADHD at its best!
Old 11-05-10, 08:08 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running it off the factory ML amp ? How is that possible- can you get an 8-ohm load since it's a dual voice coil.

What is the recommended (continuous) power-rating I should look for on an aftermarket sub, to replace my blown-as-hell ML sub?

I don't think replacing the stock Mark Levinson 10 with ANOTHER one, even a "brand new" one is worth it...b/c down the road it will eventually get blown again (well- the cone will separate from the surround, I mean)

I am VERY interested in installing a free-air (JL Audio?) sub, if I can find a new/MINT one, eventually (I understand they've been discontinued).

Please let me know if you've installed an AFTERMARKET sub, and ran it off the stock ML amp, in your 2nd-gen GS!

Quick Reply: Factory Speaker/Subwoofer Question