GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any other ideas on what I need to check on my GS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 08:17 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any other ideas on what I need to check on my GS?

Ok well I got my car back in July '10 and have been basically been doing maintnence things to it since.. Here's all i've done/checked..

I drive a '98 GS3 w/ 141k miles

-: Car came w/ no AC due to bad compressor (replaced)
-: CEL was on due to bad O2 censor (replaced)
-: Spark Plugs Replaced (and leaking gasket replaced)
-: Oil/Oil Filter changed
-: Tranny fluid changed (About to do another due to fluid being a dark purple)
-: Rear brakes replaced (fronts were still good)
-: Cabin Air Filter replaced
-: Engine Air Filter replaced
-: Car seafoamed & added Lucas Injector Cleaner
-: Ball Joints checked and are still
-: Timing belt
-: Clean MAF & TB (Next day or so)

My mechanic has told me that 2 of my struts are leaking, so that is going to be the next thing that is going to be replaced more than likely.. My handling seems a bit to loose though.. Does anybody have any ideas on what I might want to check on to make sure that is ? Just seems as if the handling on the car isn't what it should be.. Also when I did an alignment to the car after taking off the 22's the previous owner had Firestone told me that I had negative toe in my left rear and that I need to get my frame adjusted? Here are a couple pics of the specs from the alignment..

But yeah anyway I guess i'm going to be looking into that also..

Anything else you guys would recommend checking into before starting teh mods and whatnot to the car? I'm eager to get started on all of that, but want to make sure my car is maintained and up to par beforehand.

Last edited by LuxuryGS3; 10-23-10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-23-10, 08:43 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ball joints
Old 10-23-10, 08:45 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

^ That's what I was trying to figure out!!! lol.. Not bearings.. Joints.. But yeah those were checked and are
Old 10-23-10, 08:47 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

regardless, they should be replaced with the 2001 and up version
Old 10-23-10, 08:49 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Gotcha, i'll be sure to just go ahead and get them replaced then. Thanks.
Old 10-24-10, 04:38 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
regardless, they should be replaced with the 2001 and up version
Are they different? I always thought it were the same part numbers regardless of the model year...
Old 10-24-10, 06:56 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YviE
Are they different? I always thought it were the same part numbers regardless of the model year...
The earlier years ball joints aren't as strong and have a tendency to go out and fail, so that's the reason why he said better to just change them.
Old 10-24-10, 08:43 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The 2001+ joints are physically different.

As for the rear toe, I'm guessing that it's due to the toe adjustment design. Your frame is most likely fine especially if it's never been in an accident. The adjustment design is poor. The lip that holds the toe cams in place gets bent so no matter how much you try to adjust the toe, it's not going to function the way it should. Get some FIGS toe arm and you should be good.
Old 10-24-10, 10:06 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
The 2001+ joints are physically different.

As for the rear toe, I'm guessing that it's due to the toe adjustment design. Your frame is most likely fine especially if it's never been in an accident. The adjustment design is poor. The lip that holds the toe cams in place gets bent so no matter how much you try to adjust the toe, it's not going to function the way it should. Get some FIGS toe arm and you should be good.
Sorry for my ignorance, what is the FIGS toe arm and where should I get some? I am having the same issue where the mechanic told me that I have a bend frame or structure which I inclined to believe him. What do I need to correct the situation? Thank in advance.
Old 10-24-10, 10:08 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

There's a dealer on here that sells them I believe. I was searching earlier and found him, but you can order it from a vendor through CL.
Old 10-24-10, 10:24 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

How much was it to get the o2 sensor replaced? My CEL light just came on for the first time ever and Im freaking out.
Old 10-24-10, 11:01 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

I took mine to a friends mechanic cause be was closer than my regular one and he did a full diagnostic for me for free, so I went to him for my sensor and he did it for $230 part + labor.

Just go get your CEL checked from a mechanic, don't fret to much.
Old 10-25-10, 08:04 AM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For CELs, go to Autozone and get it checked for free. If CEL is 0171, let me know. I'm an expert on that one.

Replacing the camber arms will make a big difference in handling. Most likely, the bushing is worn out. I did tie rod ends, lbj, camber arms, swaybar bushings and rack bushings, and it felt like new again. Finally going to do shocks this week. 104K miles.. its time.
Old 10-25-10, 09:24 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fasted1953
For CELs, go to Autozone and get it checked for free. If CEL is 0171, let me know. I'm an expert on that one.

Replacing the camber arms will make a big difference in handling. Most likely, the bushing is worn out. I did tie rod ends, lbj, camber arms, swaybar bushings and rack bushings, and it felt like new again. Finally going to do shocks this week. 104K miles.. its time.
How much did all of that cost you in parts? I think i'm going to look into all of that because I just got done driving my friends mom's 98 GS3 and her handling is on point like no other.. Mine seems way to loose, don't like it at all, so I guess i'm going to look into getting some of those things done..
Old 10-25-10, 10:16 AM
red97rum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have an Android phone there is a free app called Torque that you can use with a $25 ebay OBDII blue tooth dongle to pull and clear your CEL's. I forget what code my cel was, but it was something to do with the evap system. It's nice to have because I was worried when the cel came on and when I saw it was just evap crap I knew it wouldn't hurt the car to keep driving. Now I just have to track down the cause and fix it .

New direct fit O2 sensors (bosch brand) are $85 dollars from rockauto.com btw.

Quick Reply: Any other ideas on what I need to check on my GS?