GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Acceleration hesitation problem......

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-02, 07:40 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Acceleration hesitation problem......

I've reviewed threads on this topic for months on end, so i understand that some folks experience a slight hesitation when the hit the throttle in their GS.

I've definitely noticed this myself, but it also seems to occur when the car is in certain inclines/turns. What I have noticed is every morning on the way to work there is an uphill right-hand turn from a stop sign that EVERY time i take it, my car bogs down for pretty much a full second.

Anyone else have this type of observation??? Is there a known solution for this problem??

Thanks all,
Eric
Old 07-24-02, 09:28 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is just a guess, but if you're going uphill, the car may have already switched to a low gear going high rpms and just needs a little time to either move up another gear. if it is in a low gear with low rpms, then that's just typical. these things don't gun right when you step on the gas. if you have e-shift, shift down one and you'll see your rmp shoot up and that'll kill the hesitation somewhat
Old 07-24-02, 09:34 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

actually it's an uphill right turn from a dead stop, so we'll call it low gear/low rpm. I guess I just have to deal with it then??? I don't have e-shift either.

Eric
Old 07-24-02, 09:35 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

This happens to me all the time especially when I dart out of a lane into another lane and I need to accelerate quickly....it feels like a slug...

I think it's the transmission hunting for the right gear...I guess it's a tradeoff between smooth shifts in the auto tranny or quick response but with jerkiness.

Brent
Old 07-24-02, 03:00 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think it's partially a rear wheel drive thing. i know many rear wheel drive cars dont lag as much as the GS sometimes does but my ES is fwd, and i'm used to the quick response....and then i drive my pop's GS and the car kicks like a horse. and then i realize i start doing all these things to make sure the rpm doesnt get too low to prevent the kicking....like rolling stops at stop signs and stuff. if ya want less lag in a rwd, drive a rotary engine car.
Old 07-24-02, 03:12 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

I got the same problem.... I think it has to do with the Exhaust and Intake.... I need a ECU that can change my air/gas flow...
Old 07-24-02, 03:43 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mrsypher
I got the same problem.... I think it has to do with the Exhaust and Intake.... I need a ECU that can change my air/gas flow...
I get it too! Its not a ECU thing its just the car, its trying to fing the right gear!!!
Old 07-24-02, 04:41 PM
qqqxppp
Driver School Candidate

i thought it was because the wheels were slipping and the VSC was trying to regain traction.
Old 07-24-02, 05:09 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by qqqxppp
i thought it was because the wheels were slipping and the VSC was trying to regain traction.
that's not it. if the wheels spin, you'll hear them usually, and the VSC kicks in and out abruptly. the brakes smack on and the car shakes a bit.

the hesitation is just apparent everywhere and not in a particular situation. if you try to quickly accelerate, you'll always lag unless you e-shifted into a lower gear and are already in high revs
Old 07-24-02, 05:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I have no hesitation ever. My car just flies. Maybe part of the solution is having wide rear tires (I have 275's). No chance they can easily slip so VSC almost never comes on.
Old 07-24-02, 06:34 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

When I first got my GS it never hesitated.. Then after I put on my Intake/ Exhaust that's when it started......
Old 07-24-02, 06:44 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have any hesitation ...yet...knock on wood.

I have trained my right foot to be ever so gently in stepping on the gas or else, the car jumps. No kidding.

My initial thoughts on your problem was the TPS. Why? Because the TPS controls the first initial trigger to advance the engine timing to get your car going. Without it, the engine's timing is the same as in idling position and therefore not optimized for getting you out of the hole, ie acceleration from stop.

When I said TPS, it could mean the TPS assembly itself or the way the TPS was calibrated as it was mounted on the throttle body.

Will post back if something triggers to mind why you're having that hesitation.
Old 07-24-02, 06:52 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

I know when I floor the car, it takes maybe 2 seconds for the car to kick in. After 2 seconds, it flies. Its almost like theres a boost lag, except for the fact that I dont have boost. Its like you get pushed against your seat, but you dont actually go faster for another 2 seconds till it kicks in.

Is this the problem your encountering? If so, i think Bliu got it right. Even though it is abvious that your car would go into 3rd gear after second, because of the overflow the ECU is getting, it has to think about or it just takes longer... somethin' like that.
Old 07-24-02, 06:59 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Old 07-24-02, 07:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally posted by mrsypher
When I first got my GS it never hesitated.. Then after I put on my Intake/ Exhaust that's when it started......
No surprise with more air in/out to your air pump (the engine) and no fuel compensation.

Quick Reply: Acceleration hesitation problem......