GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Acceleration hesitation problem......

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-02, 07:29 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have that hesitation when I had my SRT intake/LT Muff installed. The problem seems to be lessen when the RACE ECU is installed... the car responded quicker..

Now with TC and LSD installed.. no hesitation at all the car just jump in RPM to the 2800rmp... the where the TC has fully lock.. boom.. just went...
Old 07-24-02, 07:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Guys (especially 98 GS owners) -

No one has talked about this topic in a while, but there is a service bulletin (or advisory) about some ECU problems that cause serious hesitation. I think most of the discussion around this issue was on the old version of ClubLexus on EZBoard.

I had this problem, and when Mo put on my intake 2+ years ago, he also noticed it and told me about the bulletin.

When I got back to Charlotte and reported the problem, the Lexus dealer replaced my entire ECU board and hesitation problem was much reduced. I had to use the words 'severe and dangerous hesitation at full throttle' as I described it to them.

Here's a link to one old post that references it.

If your hesitation is serious, your might want to look into this.
Old 07-25-02, 12:50 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly what shinchan said...a new ecu that is tuned for performance allows your box to shift quicker up and down instead of lagging like a comfy lexus otherwise would. they don't do that out the box because sudden acceleration is hindered for the old folk or whatever reason.
Old 07-25-02, 10:17 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa!!!! Looks like I opened up a big-a$$ can of worms here....lol

This hesitation has gone on since the day I bought the car(with no mods) so i guess that I may have to take up the ECU "issue" with my dealer, esp. since my car's still under warranty

Thanks everyone for your input on this!!!!!

Eric
Old 07-25-02, 01:16 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i have no real hesitation issues with my car, here are some pointers that u might find will help keep your car in gear!

first of all, if u dont have e-shift, gateshift. Some have said it will damage the tranny.. but the way i see it, if it would damage the tranny it woudln't be there.

When comign to a stop sign down shift and when ur going about 10mph and almost stopped tap it into "L" this will give u 1st right off the line. PWR mode also makes sure u have 1st every time off the line because a lot of the lag off the line is thanks to a 2nd gear start (good for the snow, bad responsivness). I have found my intake/exhaust to make the car actually more responsive instead of less like others have said. Not neccessarilly much FASTER, but definatly more responsive and right there when i press the peddle. Cant wait for my torquemasters for that extra little bit of responsiveness!

Old 07-25-02, 02:30 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I got the power button on all the time......
Old 07-25-02, 03:20 PM
NateInJapan
Rookie

Lightbulb try neons

you should try putting some nice neons in your car- that'll help everything!
Old 07-25-02, 03:41 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexusRules
first of all, if u dont have e-shift, gateshift. Some have said it will damage the tranny.. but the way i see it, if it would damage the tranny it woudln't be there.

I was always weary of gateshifting to engine break when a cop comes by or for just kicks -- since i dont have e-shift, but are you sure it's okay to run through the gears like that? sorry, just wanted some reassurance before i tried.
Old 07-25-02, 08:40 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

well dude.. my car is almost 5 years old and the tranny hasn't fallen out yet! although i did have a solenoid problem but mean gene has assured me its not gate shift releated.

engine braking on this car isn't as benificial as on a manual trans, because the TC dis-engages about 25% when u downshift so u hear the engine rev and feel a bit of slowing down, but not much. I just use it to keep thecar in gear i want.
Old 07-25-02, 08:51 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

another thing about gateshifting: when u learn how to drive in japan, i think most places teach you how to use your engine brakes to slow down in an auto transmission car by downshifting. so, no, its not necessarily a bad thing as long as u are not in the wrong gear. i do it.
Old 07-26-02, 04:55 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexusRules
well dude.. my car is almost 5 years old and the tranny hasn't fallen out yet!
Yeah, and if you've ever seen any of the videos of Sasha driving, you know he drives is hard No offense Sasha, just trying to prove your point about the reliability questions.
Old 07-26-02, 08:49 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mumbles

Yeah, and if you've ever seen any of the videos of Sasha driving, you know he drives is hard No offense Sasha, just trying to prove your point about the reliability questions.
heh heh well i do push the car at times.. but in general its a well driven car.. just when the camera starts recording... hehehe
Old 07-26-02, 09:22 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Cool

heh heh well i do push the car at times.. but in general its a well driven car.. just when the camera starts recording... hehehe
yea, and then you hear his mom say "Sasha, NO!!!" screeeeeeeeeeeech!!!!! As he takes off!!

That vid was the funniest

Eric
Old 08-23-08, 12:37 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bringing this back up from the dead because I am currently having issues with acceleration. It seems to bog down when I try to go from a stop fast. it sometimes also happens when I am doing 60 on the freeway.

Im going to clean the throttle body & MAF and make sure the intake pipe and filter are clean but I wanted to know if any NEW GS owners of used vehicles are getting any of these problems?
Old 08-23-08, 12:41 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently cleaned my MAF and changed out the air filter. My hesitation problems seems to occur only at highway speeds (on cruise control) when I hit a large dip or bump. The car's throttle will hesitate for a bit and the rpm will drop for a second.

Quick Reply: Acceleration hesitation problem......