GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

NEW GS430 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-02, 09:48 AM
onclouud9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW GS430 owner

I recently bought a 2001 GS430 black/black 19K miles, ML/NAV/17"/spoiler. What a car...I have always wanted a GS4 ever since they came out.

I'm sure i will have lots of questions regarding upgrades etc.. but the first think i need you're all's help on is getting my navigation updated...i have the 2000.1 version and it doesnt even include streets that have been in place for two years around my house. I live in the Washington DC area. Also i took a trip to Roanoke last weekend at it couldnt even find my friends house number.

Can someone please tell me how i can get the dealer to pony up a current CD since i just spent $44k for an outdated system? Or better yet maybe i can get a copy from someone.

I love this bulletin board and am looking forward to participating in lots of discussions!
Old 07-23-02, 10:02 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Welcome to CL!

I've read somewhere that people sometimes go back for maintenance at the dealer or whatever, tell them about the outdated system, and then they get a free update. Not too sure about the specifics, but the newer Navs are DVD based, right?

Again, weclome to the club!
Old 07-23-02, 10:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Welcome Marc! Nice sounding GS!

I grew up in Roanoke (we have one other CL member who lives there now), but live in Clt.

Is your Lexus a certified pre-owned (CPO)? If so, you should have an easier time asking for that to be done.

I recall a couple of threads about nav updates, I'll search and see if I can find a link for you.

EDIT: Search update:

long thread with a bunch of info of people waiting for the new DVD, read the last few pages

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-23-02 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-23-02, 11:53 AM
blue wax
Lead Lap

congrats and welcome

enjoy the car and the club.....

have fun dude

yezzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 07-23-02, 11:57 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new car!!
Welcome to the club and enjoy your stay!!
Old 07-23-02, 12:23 PM
onclouud9
Driver School Candidate

My 2001 GS430 is Lexus Pre-Certified. I used that link to customer service and have already received a response. They wanted the VIN number and the Dealer i purchased it from. The Rep stated that they would look in to the possibility of assisting me with the "purchase" of the update. What the heck is that supposed to mean? I dont intend on spending anything....I paid more than KBB for this vehicle as the dealer indicated that the black/black 430 with all the options was hard to find in the DC area (which i tend to believe since i couldnt find any others). So basically my choice was to pay the $44,200 for the 2001 or pay a couple K below MSRP for a 2002 ($51-52K).

Hopefully Lexus customer satisfaction will prevail here.
Old 07-23-02, 12:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I'd make the point that you just made above - and the fact that with a 128-point checklist for a CPO, you'd thought they might have checked that your Navigation was up-to-date.

"Our generous Customer Care Package and extensive maintenance checks affirm that every Certified Pre-Owned Lexus comes with virtually all the protection, performance and luxury of a brand-new Lexus."

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/benefits.html

Sometimes your salesperson can help with this too if the number you called doesn't.
Old 07-23-02, 01:49 PM
onclouud9
Driver School Candidate

Earlier my salesperson laughed at me when i asked for the update stating that they didnt make anything on the deal and that how dare i expect a free update.
Old 07-23-02, 02:10 PM
Zarlov
Driver School Candidate

Default Soon to be Newbie

Hey guys!

I see that there are a few Roanokers on this board then?? Great! I plan on getting my GS 400 sometime soon as soon as the dealer here can locate me a cherry one. I plan on spending between $33-$35k. Primary color choices are silver, white and black. I'm actually trading in my '99 BMW 328i for this Lexus. I really like the BMW, but I want a little more power and a little less stiff of a suspension. And I've always likes Lexus's (or Toyotas, I owned several including a 97 Supra TT).

Question #1: Where do you Roanoke guys get service?? There's not a Lexus dealer for MILES! Closest place I figure is Winston-Salem or Greensboro, NC. I won't be modding it a lot at first, but I know the bug will come.

Question #2: Is there any sort of Lexus owners presence in Roanoke or the surrounding areas? It would be cool to hang out with some other Lexus owners. Too bad there were no other Supras here Oh well. . .

I'll let you guys know what I get when I get it. Later!

-Z.
Old 07-23-02, 03:49 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Earlier my salesperson laughed at me when i asked for the update stating that they didnt make anything on the deal and that how dare i expect a free update.
I'd be pissed if I were you, immediately go above this clown to the manager and DEMAND some respect and complete satisfaction. If you get no quick response, call Corporate, and I guarantee their tune will change.
Old 07-23-02, 03:58 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Try Lexus of Rockville they are cool there! You should have to pay for that. Isn't there a law that you could take the car back within a couple of days if not satisfied. I would act like you don't want it anymore just to see what they say. Just tell them that you find another Black/black 430. I say its the best color....since mine is black on black!
Old 07-23-02, 04:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Re: Soon to be Newbie

Originally posted by Zarlov
Hey guys!

I see that there are a few Roanokers on this board then?? Great! I plan on getting my GS 400 sometime soon as soon as the dealer here can locate me a cherry one. I plan on spending between $33-$35k. Primary color choices are silver, white and black. I'm actually trading in my '99 BMW 328i for this Lexus. I really like the BMW, but I want a little more power and a little less stiff of a suspension. And I've always likes Lexus's (or Toyotas, I owned several including a 97 Supra TT).

Question #1: Where do you Roanoke guys get service?? There's not a Lexus dealer for MILES! Closest place I figure is Winston-Salem or Greensboro, NC. I won't be modding it a lot at first, but I know the bug will come.

Question #2: Is there any sort of Lexus owners presence in Roanoke or the surrounding areas? It would be cool to hang out with some other Lexus owners. Too bad there were no other Supras here Oh well. . .

I'll let you guys know what I get when I get it. Later!

-Z.
Z -

There's only one person who actually lives in Roanoke that I've seen on CL (MyLexusSC300 is his CL name) and one other in Blacksburg. I grew up there (still have family and friends), but live in Charlotte.

I think your closest Lexus dealer is going to be in NC (either Flow where I bought mine or Hendrick in Charlotte) ~ 3 hours. Richmond has a dealer too about the same distance.

The closest thing to a Lexus-focused dealer I've seen is a used car place on Brambleton (near Luigi's). They had a bunch of Lexus cars last time I was there (> 10).

#2 - consider coming down for our SE meet in Sept, you can hook up with MyLexusSC300 and cruise down with him. Here's a link with more details. If that's too far, you can hook up for one of our normal Charlotte meets sometime.

PM me if you're interested.
Old 07-23-02, 04:26 PM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=49745

Welcome to ClubLexus!!! CHeck out the meet in your area DaveGS4 is setting up! The link is above!
Old 07-23-02, 04:26 PM
Zarlov
Driver School Candidate

Cool, thanks! I was hoping there were a few more people here, but I should've known by the number of Lexus's I've seen on the road.

I'm getting mine from a very cool guy on Franklin, near Valley BMW. His name is Chris and he runs General Imports. He only gets luxury or sports cars that are in cherry condition. I bought my near-perfect BMW from him and am selling it back to him for almost the price I bought it for 3 months ago.

I've had some bad experience with that other car place, Brambleton Imports. They didn't care when I inquired a while back regarding purchasing a Lexus. Oh well, they don't get my business.

Hopefully I can get my Lexus soon. . . Chris said they do appear at auctions, just not as many as the GS300s, so I'd have to be patient for a really good one. I hate being patient! Anyways, I'll be lurking around getting caught up on the Lexus chatter. . .

Later,
-Z.
Old 07-24-02, 04:19 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, welcome to ClubLexus...

Now about your purchase...I would have sold you mine for ~$50K...Black/Black Mark Lev and Nav...and it has the updated Nav DVD, of course, still under factory warranty (only 17K miles)...and it has few other "small" add-ons that I did...let's just say that pretty much, you wouldn't need to upgrade it...

Anyways, welcome and please feel free to use the search function and read around. There is a LOT of information here and nearly any mod that you can do your car has been discussed one time or another!

Last edited by Manaray; 07-26-02 at 03:32 AM.

Quick Reply: NEW GS430 owner