GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ML sub rattle, blown or loose trim?

Old 10-07-10, 07:20 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Question ML sub rattle, blown or loose trim?

Hey guys, im currently having issues with my ML sub, its rattling badly. Still makes good bass when cranked up, but rattles so i have the bass turned down all the way.

First thing is, does this mean my sub is blown? still kicks out a lot of bass when turned up, just rattles as well. So is this the symptoms of a blown sub, or could it be the surrounding ring or trim? I say this because it almost seems like the speaker grille is lose from the sound of the rattle.

Also, is there a way to disconnect the sub separately for the time being? (without having to take it all apart,) I went ahead and ordered a new sub, but in the meantime I want to be able to enjoy my Audio system without having to listen to the inevitable sub rattle.

Also, couldn't find banana's GS tutorial (site is down) on how to take out the sub, anyone have any other links that can be useful?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-10, 09:51 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same problem. Where did you order a new sub ? (Ebay?) Apparently, you have to remove the back seats- and the rear deck to access/remove & replace the ML sub. I'm sooo pi$$ed about it rattling like it is..

I would say on BOTH of our subs- the Surround has separated from the cone. Somebody said HOT GLUE (glue gun) will fix it.. but I'm almost a little hesitant to try the hot glue, over silicone or some type or epoxy. I don't know....

How are all of your other speakers? My car was from Texas, and I think the sun was the culprit of my surround deteriorating...(along with AGE and being REALLY "cranked up" occassionally) My front center channel speaker is also blown... too much power to it maybe? (since everything was faded to the front, with the bass down and TREBLE up..myabe?)

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF YOU FADE THE Mark Levinson system to the front or back- if it feeds THOSE speakers (only) the SAME amoutn of power? If so, that would probably be why my front center speaker needs to be replaced too now.. sucks.

How is the front speaker replaced? I REALLY need some Audiophile-grade music again- PLEASE HELP ME OUT IF YOU CAN FELLAS...

Thanks
Old 10-07-10, 10:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
My front center channel speaker is also blown...
if we are talking bout the one on the dash with the ML system,that speaker is a POS, i replaced it with another one and it blew up also so when i did my audio build i temporarily put a aftermarket speaker in there but it eventually started crackling also....i just unplugged it and said to hell with it.
Old 10-07-10, 12:54 PM
Bourbon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem and my sub was blown. I super glued the edging (because thats what was falling off) It helped but still doesnt sound like it used to..
Old 10-08-10, 09:05 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sakataj
if we are talking bout the one on the dash with the ML system,that speaker is a POS, i replaced it with another one and it blew up also so when i did my audio build i temporarily put a aftermarket speaker in there but it eventually started crackling also....i just unplugged it and said to hell with it.
You serious!? Man, that sucks... What should I do with it?

is it easy to replace?
Old 10-08-10, 09:09 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bourbon
I had the same problem and my sub was blown. I super glued the edging (because thats what was falling off) It helped but still doesnt sound like it used to..
Seems like a common problem... that sucks! I wish I could replace it with an aftermarket 10" Free-air sub and run it on the OEM ML amp... can't because it's differenet impedence though, I heard. FML!!
Old 10-08-10, 09:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

You serious!? Man, that sucks... What should I do with it?

is it easy to replace?
unplug it and call it a day....

yes, they easy to replace just have to pull your NAV screen be careful with the speaker surround on the dash, it likes to crack although its cheap to replace
Old 10-08-10, 09:59 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Going back to the original topic...

Yes i purchased my sub from eBay, since it was the fastest solution.

So my understanding is that the sub cannot be disconnected on its own until its time to replace it? (without having to remove all the trim.)
Old 10-08-10, 01:07 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sakataj
unplug it and call it a day....

yes, they easy to replace just have to pull your NAV screen be careful with the speaker surround on the dash, it likes to crack although its cheap to replace
Awww man! I have to remove the Nav screen? I guess that isn't that tricky to do though, right?
Yep- the speaker surround/trim piece it actually already cracked on mine now anyway. That center channel is killing me though- IT'S JUST AS BAD AS THE SUB, REALLY.
Old 10-08-10, 01:11 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't u just cut the speaker wire?
Old 10-08-10, 02:05 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Awww man! I have to remove the Nav screen? I guess that isn't that tricky to do though, right?
Yep- the speaker surround/trim piece it actually already cracked on mine now anyway. That center channel is killing me though- IT'S JUST AS BAD AS THE SUB, REALLY.
PM me if u need as we really are off topic and although all of this has been covered this his post and he already asked to get back on topic

Originally Posted by sam430
Can't u just cut the speaker wire?
if you talking bout the sub, why would you? or off the center channel, better to unplug them, then cut them

YES OP your sub is blown the ML sub makes a great boat anchor, they def POS. im truthfully not to impressed by the WHOLE ML system....

i dunno bout replacements i pulled mine and added a aftermarket sub with aftermarket amps but i still utilize the OEM nav/screen
Old 10-18-10, 12:22 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

I ended up splicing a wire to stop the sub from driving me insane. Anyhow, got around to replacing the sub last night, as usual cone ring has separated, i'm sure it could be fixed by some glue but Im was not about to waste time with that. Took me about a couple of hours with a short break in between. Just be SUPER careful when taking out the C pillar's trim and only pull diagonally to the top and opposite direction or you'll break the tabs. Also, for those with 01+, dont forget to unbolt the child seat anchors.

BASS is now MUCH crisper and hits harder. My faith in the ML system has been restored.
Old 10-19-10, 10:11 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I ended up splicing a wire to stop the sub from driving me insane. Anyhow, got around to replacing the sub last night, as usual cone ring has separated, i'm sure it could be fixed by some glue but Im was not about to waste time with that. Took me about a couple of hours with a short break in between. Just be SUPER careful when taking out the C pillar's trim and only pull diagonally to the top and opposite direction or you'll break the tabs. Also, for those with 01+, dont forget to unbolt the child seat anchors.

BASS is now MUCH crisper and hits harder. My faith in the ML system has been restored.
NICE!!! That's awesome man.. How much did you pay for the new sub..and where did you find it? (I saw "NEW" ones on Ebay- think that's a place to consider buying a new ML sub?)

Does the bass hit pretty hard now?

I'm actually MORE concerned about replacing the front center channel speaker.. I'm not familiar with Lexus at all- compared to GM cars. What all did you have to remove to access your sub bro?

Did the old one just 'unclip'/unplug ? And you just plugged the new one in, or did you have to splice the wires?

NICE JOB though!!! Your ML system has gotta be nice and TIGHT now!! wow.

How is your front center speaker.. all good?