GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Transmission Fluid Change (what type)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-19, 11:09 AM
Ivan916
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change (what type)?

Hey everyone! I own a 2005 Lexus GS300 with an ATF, I just purchased the car, so I dont know when the last flush was done, but by the looks of it its been a while because the fluid looks burnt. My transmission is shifting Into second gear quite “weird” and has delayed acceleration when taking off from stop. I was thinking of getting it done at the Toyota dealership, but they said $175 for a drain and fill which is not what I want, I want a full flush. I normally go to the Auto Center by my house and the price for a flush is cheaper with fluid provided ($70). Should I have the Auto center do it? Main concern is the type of fluid they use, will using a non OEM mess up my tranny?. If i were to do it on my own which fluid is needed?
Old 10-25-19, 07:09 PM
LexusVunit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your GS300, always use Toyota Type T-IV auto trans fluid (2.10 qts). NEVER use anything else because transmission fluids is very specific and sensitive to the transmission and will cause damage later on if use non-oem. You should save yourself money and do it yourself, its as simple as a oil change and refill through the dipstick. I would prefer a drain and refill, drive for a couple hundred miles and repeat until the fluids come out clean and red if you want a "flush".
Old 10-28-19, 08:18 PM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusVunit
For your GS300, always use Toyota Type T-IV auto trans fluid (2.10 qts). NEVER use anything else because transmission fluids is very specific and sensitive to the transmission and will cause damage later on if use non-oem. You should save yourself money and do it yourself, its as simple as a oil change and refill through the dipstick. I would prefer a drain and refill, drive for a couple hundred miles and repeat until the fluids come out clean and red if you want a "flush".
Even if you switch to the Amsoil tranny fluid? I thought it might add more protection. I was thinking about trying it, but I've always flushed the transmission every 35-40k miles at the Lexus dealer - very reasonable prices and very precise work in Omaha, they did list it as a flush and had some discloser. Did it once myself, but I frankly don't have the time - weather and schedule permitting on the weekend.
Old 10-29-19, 05:39 PM
LexusVunit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dampfwalze
Even if you switch to the Amsoil tranny fluid? I thought it might add more protection. I was thinking about trying it, but I've always flushed the transmission every 35-40k miles at the Lexus dealer - very reasonable prices and very precise work in Omaha, they did list it as a flush and had some discloser. Did it once myself, but I frankly don't have the time - weather and schedule permitting on the weekend.
You could use Amsoil if you feel its better for you which I believe it is from what I'm reading here on the forums and other sources. I just like to follow what the manual says to be on the safe side due to specific viscosity and other additives they put in from Toyota. I personally don't have experience on other aftermarket brands for tranny fluids but if it works for you, I say go for it. Flushing is fine if your transmission is still in great shape and service regularly. For older vehicles that never did it in their lifetime and it's all burnt and dark when you check the trans stick, it's probably not a great idea because the trans is already about to break down soon. Flushing in new fluids and pushing out the old fluids could possibly force chunks of old contaminants into the valves & passageways and causes a bunch of new problems like slipping, rough shift, etc right after the flush. Then again, its a hit or miss but ultimately it depends on the life of the transmission and how often its been serviced.
Old 01-31-22, 07:28 AM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusVunit
You could use Amsoil if you feel its better for you which I believe it is from what I'm reading here on the forums and other sources. I just like to follow what the manual says to be on the safe side due to specific viscosity and other additives they put in from Toyota. I personally don't have experience on other aftermarket brands for tranny fluids but if it works for you, I say go for it. Flushing is fine if your transmission is still in great shape and service regularly. For older vehicles that never did it in their lifetime and it's all burnt and dark when you check the trans stick, it's probably not a great idea because the trans is already about to break down soon. Flushing in new fluids and pushing out the old fluids could possibly force chunks of old contaminants into the valves & passageways and causes a bunch of new problems like slipping, rough shift, etc right after the flush. Then again, its a hit or miss but ultimately it depends on the life of the transmission and how often its been serviced.
Valvoline was recommended by Toyota/Lexus as a viable alternative. They also recommend other motor oils within the viscosity spectrum. But they WILL NOT recommend other coolants!!!
Old 01-31-22, 04:39 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

I use the Toyota WS fluid which is their synthetic ATF. Supposed to last longer and resist heat break down etc. Id use that or the regular Toyota ATF if cost is a concern. Can't go wrong with OEM. But with mods and a trans cooler, switching to synthetic seems like a good idea.
Old 02-01-22, 01:40 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

200 bux for a drain and refill!!! an oil change is more work for a third of that price