GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The 2GS, a future classic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 05:10 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2gs

Depending on where you live, there aren't too many good condition, well-maintained GS around. As the original owners get older and start releasing the "cream puffs", I think you will see a slight increase in value all around. There will always be the trashed examples that bring down the overall value. But, ten years from now it might be really hard to find one in good condition. Pic for attention!

Name:  40949FCE-EC12-4CFF-A935-AE11856CA7FF_zpsjztxmjmq.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  266.2 KB
Old 03-20-16, 11:15 AM
BigDill
Driver School Candidate

Default Eh?

I love them, and have both a 300 and 400 but I don't think the word classic would be used widely enough in regards to this car to actually label it a classic. It's a classic to us . Most people don't look twice at lexus' and even those who do rarely know the true potential of them. Most don't know that they are rear wheel drive platforms with good weight distribution, and modularity to boot (engines, transmissions, suspensions, seats etc.). Unfortunately, the way people look at cars doesn't lend itself to favoriting something like the 2GS. They think a classic is an e39 M5, something that drives beautifully on the way home from the dealership and disintegrates and breaks when driven the way it's meant to be driven. They don't look at soft, cushy, well built, super reliable sedans (that have unmatched performance potential if you have some time and/or money) as classics. That's okay with me though and it should be with you too. There's more left for us. I think you have the best of both worlds in a GS/IS/SC in that you have comfort, reliability and some sportiness right out of the box and after markets that support 800 hp track cars if you decide to go that route.
Old 03-20-16, 11:36 AM
BigDill
Driver School Candidate

And they don't get a lot of "love" per say here In the states (NYC area im from specifically) but they get plenty of appreciation. The GS and SC were huge in the city in the 90's. You have A Tribe Called quest from queens rapping about "pulling the burner out the lexus" and riding in the "lex bubble" (SC3/SC4). You have Biggie Smalls saying "hop in the GS3" in big poppa, an internationally known rap song from 1994 or 1995. And Nas making countless mentions on his first 3 or 4 albums about driving lexus'. That's 3 of New Yorks most famous rappers and some of the greatest of all time. Multi-platinum records giving us the plug.

Last edited by BigDill; 03-20-16 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Wrong information.
The following users liked this post:
socal3 (10-05-17)
Old 10-05-17, 07:45 AM
fperron
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a reason Ghost Dog picked a 1998 Lexus GS 400 to steal at the beginning of the movie.
Old 10-07-17, 04:40 AM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BigDill
And they don't get a lot of "love" per say here In the states (NYC area im from specifically) but they get plenty of appreciation. The GS and SC were huge in the city in the 90's. You have A Tribe Called quest from queens rapping about "pulling the burner out the lexus" and riding in the "lex bubble" (SC3/SC4). You have Biggie Smalls saying "hop in the GS3" in big poppa, an internationally known rap song from 1994 or 1995. And Nas making countless mentions on his first 3 or 4 albums about driving lexus'. That's 3 of New Yorks most famous rappers and some of the greatest of all time. Multi-platinum records giving us the plug.
​​​​i from the West snoop mentioned one on doggy style it's a white SC in poetic justice and several West coast underground legends made countless accounts of the SC.let me tell you alot if research with into the SC and GS at the time and to if u look and the BMWs till this day I think they stole the line's from the SC that's why I think our cars will always be Number one even so over the new Lexus u can't lie the new is350 is a upgraded corolla and the new GS is a Camry plus we can 2j the **** outta our cars and have a 700 HP beast shytin on any amg63 or who ever.I SWA a man on the freeway yesterday with a super clean grey all stock gs430 only thing was custom was he had the chrome truck trim and a nice *** pretty exhaust I was drooling out the window because it's was perfect I'll take our cars over anything out today easy and my guy at the lex dealer say to me all the time keep your GS and says I've seen these cars come in with 500k on the meter just for an oil change and nothing wrong with them.because I was talking about getting a newer model then he was like they come in all the time for transmission problems. So I'm like why spend 30 to 40k on something that's not gonna be worth half that in five year's I'm good our cars are the **** and will always be one of a kind.
Old 10-07-17, 04:43 AM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mccrimmon
Depending on where you live, there aren't too many good condition, well-maintained GS around. As the original owners get older and start releasing the "cream puffs", I think you will see a slight increase in value all around. There will always be the trashed examples that bring down the overall value. But, ten years from now it might be really hard to find one in good condition. Pic for attention!

Attachment 443478
check Ur msg
Old 10-07-17, 05:00 AM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SZA
Yeah, The Supra will surely become one of the first Japanese classics. Even though I love my Lexus like you guys, I don't think the GS/SC will ever reach that status.

We are bias are we not?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing our Lexus cars, but I just don't think it will ever truly be a classic.
im sorry buddy but you must be on that stuff 21 years make a classic and in the streets you can ask anyone and they'll say it's a classic already we the people decide what make classic not some suit behind a desk.it's us were the decision makers